Simplon pass October / November (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Question for the experienced but my colleague think that the authorities try to keep the simplon pass open during October and November - any other alp passes
More likely to be open ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Simplon is always cleared as too many people depend on it. There’s snow up there already but nothing at all on the road.

The risks with an Autumn passage is basically you may use it just as there’s a large flurry of snow and then they’ll close it so they can clear it. Occasionally it will be closed over night but as you’re in the van then no big deal. You will certainly need winter tyres.

I use it all winter long on my schlep to the office.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Simplon is always cleared as too many people depend on it. There’s snow up there already but nothing at all on the road.

The risks with an Autumn passage is basically you may use it just as there’s a large flurry of snow and then they’ll close it so they can clear it. Occasionally it will be closed over night but as you’re in the van then no big deal. You will certainly need winter tyres.

I use it all winter long on my schlep to the office.
Very kind thank you , ok with my new all season and chains then ? Any spots to camp on at night ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Very kind thank you , ok with my new all season and chains then ? Any spots to camp on at night ?

All season will be fine, chains as a back great to have but probably as you know are a real PIA to fit, when it’s dark, by the road side and when it’s freezing etc.

Yes there’s a quite a few lay-bys in case you need a short stop if the road is blocked, usually the kind people managing the road will send you towards them.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
All season will be fine, chains as a back great to have but probably as you know are a real PIA to fit, when it’s dark, by the road side and when it’s freezing etc.

Yes there’s a quite a few lay-bys in case you need a short stop if the road is blocked, usually the kind people managing the road will send you towards them.
Many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back