Simple Solar Panel Setup for Small Van (1 Viewer)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have recently changed to a small (5mt) van with a compressor fridge. I’ve installed a new 110 amp battery and I’m thinking of a smallish portable solar panel (100wt) for off grid trips. Because it is such a small van, and my everyday vehicle I don’t really want to see a lump on my roof!
. Basic question is: can I feed into my leisure battery via a 12vt hella socket that is in the hab area of my van?
Access to my battery is awkward at best so attaching to that whenever I wanted to use the SP would be a pain.
Please guys, keep the answers simple - I’m female, blond (was😉) and elderly and definitely not technical!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not what you want to hear but with a compressor fridge you really need to fit a second battery or change the battery for Lithium. Then fit as much solar on the roof as you can get. Solar panels are not that obtrusive and you won't notice them after a bit.

If you don't have a B2B (battery to battery charger) also called a DC to DC charger it's worth fitting one as it will charge your battery at a much higher rate when driving.

As for your original question a Hella socket would be OK for a single panel but an Anderson connector would be better.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks Lenny HB for your reply. I did have 2 leisure batteries in my previous van but space in the little Renoir makes this almost impossible! I appreciate your comments about a fixed panel but I’m still hoping that the flexi portable ones (Craig solar purely as an example) will suffice. An Anderson connector might be the way to go as a kind Funster used this fitting in an inverter fitted to my previous van😁
Thanks again for the info.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have recently changed to a small (5mt) van with a compressor fridge. I’ve installed a new 110 amp battery and I’m thinking of a smallish portable solar panel (100wt) for off grid trips. Because it is such a small van, and my everyday vehicle I don’t really want to see a lump on my roof!
. Basic question is: can I feed into my leisure battery via a 12vt hella socket that is in the hab area of my van?
Access to my battery is awkward at best so attaching to that whenever I wanted to use the SP would be a pain.
Please guys, keep the answers simple - I’m female, blond (was😉) and elderly and definitely not technical!!
I'm no expert but think you will definitely need a solar controller before plugging the panel in the panel voltage won't be 12 v. You can get away without a controller on a very small panel purely used to keep the starter battery from going flat but on a 100 w one you will need a controller.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm no expert but think you will definitely need a solar controller before plugging the panel in the panel voltage won't be 12 v. You can get away without a controller on a very small panel purely used to keep the starter battery from going flat but on a 100 w one you will need a controller.
Normally portable panels come with a controller although it will only be a cheap PWM one.
But as you are angling the panel to the sun and moving the panel during the day to follow the sun you won't gain much with an MPPT controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The reality is don’t bother!

The faff of setting it up, ensuring it’s facing the right way, making sure it doesn’t blow over, doesn’t get nicked and isn’t in the way, added to lugging it around in the van to make sure it doesn’t get damaged or it damage the van means that you’ll start leaving it at home, certainly in the Winter when it’s useless, and the first half of Spring and the latter half of Autumn

Better to bite the bullet and fit one on the roof

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I agree with others saying get a panel on the roof, depending on where it goes you won’t probably see it. So much more convenient and worry free as in it’s still charging when your driving or off out for the day leaving the van in a carpark whereas a portable you will not receive any charge…

Plus with modern technology you could possibly get 150-200w up there…

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Consider a semi-flexible panel on the roof.
We all know the fully flexibles were a disaster (we just pulled three off a roof today), but the semi flex could possible last much longer.
A semi-flex can be mounted so it's very inconspicuous (not like the lump you describe).

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Lenny HB for your reply. I did have 2 leisure batteries in my previous van but space in the little Renoir makes this almost impossible! I appreciate your comments about a fixed panel but I’m still hoping that the flexi portable ones (Craig solar purely as an example) will suffice. An Anderson connector might be the way to go as a kind Funster used this fitting in an inverter fitted to my previous van😁
Thanks again for the info.
Ive got a 100ah Lithium leisure battery you can have for nowt cal if any good as long as you collect. Its no bigger than a cab battery

I bought it from China as a test job about 18 months ago(posted in here about trying it ) and never used it since.... its been charged twice, and just sat in my garage with the odd blast....your not far from me and I can just leave it on my drive or whatever if ever you are passing, or you could even collect it from one of my shops that is literally right near J7 m62 towards edge lane, if any good. (if you can get past the grand national traffic ) :LOL:

edit, my better half has just said about the 100w solar panels that are sat there too, if you want take one of them. never been used (dont ask why theyve not been used) Im a busy man love :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Tombola, that is a very generous offer, thanks a lot. My current onboard charger doesn’t support lithium I’m afraid. Re the solar panel, I need to measure my roof to see what I can fit and where, can I please get back to you on this. I’m away at present so steering clear of the Grand National traffic, but home next week so will pm you if that’s ok. I need to look at the cost of upgrading my charger etc.
Thanks again for your very generous offer.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
From a practical side roof panels don't take up any room inside your compact vehicle.
Fix and forget.
If your off grid you'd need to bring them in every evening, how where would you set them up
Where are you going to store them in the van
Fitted they are always charging ..if there sun
And finally
How much time do you spend looking at your roof?

Only thoughts . I'd be snatching Tombola arm off at such a kind offer

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Tombola, that is a very generous offer, thanks a lot. My current onboard charger doesn’t support lithium I’m afraid. Re the solar panel, I need to measure my roof to see what I can fit and where, can I please get back to you on this. I’m away at present so steering clear of the Grand National traffic, but home next week so will pm you if that’s ok. I need to look at the cost of upgrading my charger etc.
Thanks again for your very generous offer.
No rush they arent going anywhere..and if its not for you you don't have to get back to me Cal. Your call. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
TBH I'd be willing to shell out for a new charger if I was getting a free lithium battery & a solar panel :unsure:.

Are you absolutely certain your current charger won't work at all with lithium?
My basic one doesn't have a specific lithium setting but still can be used if the 'jumpers' [switches] are set correctly

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
TBH I'd be willing to shell out for a new charger if I was getting a free lithium battery & a solar panel :unsure:.

Are you absolutely certain your current charger won't work at all with lithium?
My basic one doesn't have a specific lithium setting but still can be used if the 'jumpers' [switches] are set correctly
The van is (I presume) a Leisuredrive Renoir.

Charger is almost certainly not lithium capable!

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
CAB96 you are correct - it is a Leisuredrive Renoir and although the charger isn’t the one specified in the Leisuredrive handbook I have downloaded the correct literature and it definitely doesn’t support lithium.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My next question folks is: if I did take Tombola up on his kind offer what charger should I be looking for?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
My next question folks is: if I did take Tombola up on his kind offer what charger should I be looking for?
TO be honest, I would take a trip down to Oxfordshire and get RogerIvy and nigelivy to sort it - solar, B2B, and mains charger.

Assuming they are happy to take on the work, and put in Tombola's battery, you may get a funster discount as well.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I have a portable folding 180w panel and a 175w semi-flexible one on the roof. The roof one is largely invisible. I hardly ever carry the portable one because even though it folds it is still large and heavy. So I only take it on very specific trips. I previously had a smaller portable one and I didn't carry that because it wasn't really meaty enough. It ended up getting sold. For ease, it's 100% less hassle to have solar on the roof. Fit & forget!
If you're just starting and keeping your existing LB, I wouldn't bother with a 100w panel. I'd go for at least 175. With my 175 panel I still run out of juice occasionally when the weather isn't great if the van is parked up for a spell rather than regularly moving.
BUT, Tombola's offer is a fantastic one and if I were in your shoes I'd bite his hand off and spend my money on any ancillaries necessary to install the lithium with the 100w solar panel he's also offered!

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
TO be honest, I would take a trip down to Oxfordshire and get RogerIvy and nigelivy to sort it - solar, B2B, and mains charger.

Assuming they are happy to take on the work, and put in Tombola's battery, you may get a funster discount as well.
What's the business name of RogerIvy & nigelivy please? I'm on the Oxon/Wilts border in Highworth so it's useful to know of recommended local suppliers/workshops.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
What's the business name of RogerIvy & nigelivy please? I'm on the Oxon/Wilts border in Highworth so it's useful to know of recommended local suppliers/workshops.
offgrid power solutions, seem like decent guys and a decent setup too

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I have a small van and I carry the SP while driving in front of the passenger seat, but anywhere would do, it has a long lead which has a plug on the end that fits into its socket which is attached via two leads from the battery, very simple as all I have to do is set the SP up outside and bring the attachment through front door and plug it in, my SP is only 80 but ample for summer use, I have been away in winter (uk) and it has been pretty good, but I have not used the pose extensively.

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
As far as I can see, the OP hasn't said what her usage is: UK vs med, how many days without driving, hours driving when you do etc. And other electrics she wants to power.
In my experience a 110Ahr battery should power a small fridge for a day; or two if not too hot in the UK. A 100W panel (with a good controller) will often maintain this on site.

There are always exceptions where it won't be enough, eg a wooded site hiding from a heatwave; - perhaps this is where the mobile panel scores.

I found Bimble Solar had good value-end offerings whilst still giving support.
If you drive little and often, a B2B (battery to battery) engine charger may be a good move, especially if you get the Lithium battery on offer. They charge Lead batteries faster and lithiums double
quick.
I feel a little of everything would give you the reliability you want. (small panel & charger, small B2B, small battery (esp if Li).

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I see Tombola has already replied.
We’re based close to the small town Wantage. It’s where King Alfred was born (he’s the guy that gave the vikings a bit of a kicking)

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
We’re based close to the small town Wantage. It’s where King Alfred was born (he’s the guy that gave the vikings a bit of a kicking)
If RogerIvy is using King Alfred as a reference, you should get a royally good job .....

But DON'T eat any Home-Baked Cakes you may be offered ! ;) :whistle: :LOL:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I see Tombola has already replied.
I lived in Faringdon for 20 years and am now in Highworth. Not far at all from Wantage! 🙂

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
I can confirm the superb job RogerIvy and nigelivy do; it was my flexible solar panels they took off (#8 above) and fitted 2 x 175w panels instead. How neat and elegant they look ( I keep putting my head out of the Heki to admire them!) Lovely job, thank you, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I can confirm the superb job RogerIvy and nigelivy do; it was my flexible solar panels they took off (#8 above) and fitted 2 x 175w panels instead. How neat and elegant they look ( I keep putting my head out of the Heki to admire them!) Lovely job, thank you, gentlemen.
Thanks David :giggle:
That was a nice install - always like a challenge to get as much solar on the roof as possible.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Back again guys for further advise!
I’ve visited Leisuredrive today on a totally different matter, but I did ask them about solar panels and the original ‘starter battery’ as a leisure battery.
Basically they were saying that the charger fitted to my little Van isn’t suitable for anything other than an extremely small panel🙁 Can anyone confirm this please. The charger is shown below. I’m wanting to fit a flexible 130 wt from Eco worthy.
Re the battery - they told me that the original battery was ideal for my van as the constant use of the vehicle meant enough charge was produced from the engine. B2B wasn’t something they knew much about!
Any information at ‘pre school’ knowledge would be appreciated!!
Thanks

IMG_1288.png

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Back again guys for further advise!
I’ve visited Leisuredrive today on a totally different matter, but I did ask them about solar panels and the original ‘starter battery’ as a leisure battery.
Basically they were saying that the charger fitted to my little Van isn’t suitable for anything other than an extremely small panel🙁 Can anyone confirm this please. The charger is shown below. I’m wanting to fit a flexible 130 wt from Eco worthy.
Re the battery - they told me that the original battery was ideal for my van as the constant use of the vehicle meant enough charge was produced from the engine. B2B wasn’t something they knew much about!
Any information at ‘pre school’ knowledge would be appreciated!!
Thanks

View attachment 887206
Panel?

I don't understand, that's the mains power supply and battery charger, its nothing to do with solar.

Seriously, get yourself a quote from the Ivys.

Lithium battery,
B2B,
Solar panel
Solar charger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread