SIM cards for use in EU. EE free roaming SIMs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
all of them had a monthly limit of about 25gb when in Europe
Except Tesco who allow you all your data whilst roaming in the EU even unlimited contract subject to fair use of two months in every four although some of us have done three months with no issues, but it must be used in the UK as well. The Tesco sim is a phone sim and will not work in home routers but will work in some mifi devices, there is a list of compatible devices on their website however my mifi is not listed as compatible but still works okay, I believe Tesco allow you a two week trial period in which it can be returned if it doesn't work in your device, in addition you must manually enter the Tesco APN or else it is unlikely to work or work reliably.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Hmm. Wife and I get 5Gb each from EE for £5/mth each. With "gift your data" this is plenty for me, since wife uses approximately oMb/month ..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I suspect the 600GB of data. I don’t think that’s the real truth but the proof will be in the the actual data used.

Likes collected
Funster No
I guess it's all about how much you need at what time and on what devices,
In the UK and Europe all year but only for navigation and occasional email and web browsing use, I have an old iPad with an 8GB SIM from Smarty for £6.30 that I use in the van, and in the car.
Then a Smarty sim in my phone 12Gb/month all year for £7.20/month which is good for UK and Europe
Plus a Tiekom 400 GB/ €44/£36 a month contract for the MIFi that I switch on only for the 3 months I am away in Europe and switch off when I am back in the UK
So over three devices, over a full year over three devices and including three months in Europe with 400GB additional a month, I am paying £22.5 a month on average.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I guess it's all about how much you need at what time and on what devices,
In the UK and Europe all year but only for navigation and occasional email and web browsing use, I have an old iPad with an 8GB SIM from Smarty for £6.30 that I use in the van, and in the car.
Then a Smarty sim in my phone 12Gb/month all year for £7.20/month which is good for UK and Europe
Plus a Tiekom 400 GB/ €44/£36 a month contract for the MIFi that I switch on only for the 3 months I am away in Europe and switch off when I am back in the UK
So over three devices, over a full year over three devices and including three months in Europe with 400GB additional a month, I am paying £22.5 a month on average.
How do you get a Tiekom sim, I can't see anything on.their website?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Except Tesco who allow you all your data whilst roaming in the EU even unlimited contract subject to fair use of two months in every four although some of us have done three months with no issues, but it must be used in the UK as well. The Tesco sim is a phone sim and will not work in home routers but will work in some mifi devices, there is a list of compatible devices on their website however my mifi is not listed as compatible but still works okay, I believe Tesco allow you a two week trial period in which it can be returned if it doesn't work in your device, in addition you must manually enter the Tesco APN or else it is unlikely to work or work reliably.
Thanks Chris. I will check it out for the next trip.

Likes collected
Funster No
There is quite a lot elsewhere on MHF about getting the Tiekom SIm.
Emailing their sales team is a good route to go here:
This link also provides details of the product.
It's 400GB max a month in Spain 200GB of which can be used outside of Spain.
So if you need more than 200GB a month outside Spain you may need to look elsewhere.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014

There are 3 tabs on this page. 3rd one is 'Only Data 400GB EU

**Edit - Sorry, duplicates #38 - too slow!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
There is quite a lot elsewhere on MHF about getting the Tiekom SIm.
Emailing their sales team is a good route to go here:

This link also provides details of the product.
It's 400GB max a month in Spain 200GB of which can be used outside of Spain.
So if you need more than 200GB a month outside Spain you may need to look elsewhere.
Thank you, I was looking at normal sim didn't see the data one. I'll order for our euro trip in January if IQ don't come up with anything.

I assume you can pause it when not in use?

OP
OP
Colin McCourt
Likes collected
Funster No
Can you advise me please? I have to make decision soon. For 3 weeks in Spain/France...iQ Go or Tesco?
If you decide to go the Tesco route go into a Tesco Mobile shop with the MIFI, get the deal there and get them to set it all up.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
For those interested in the Tesco 100 Gb sim deal, we were assured by the South Norwich store that it will definitely finish on the 31st of this month. They were not aware of what was coming next.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
I messed around with Smarty sims in my MIFI for ages and came to the conclusion that Smarty in Europe is as much use as a chocolate teapot!!!
Changed to O2 PAYG data (£15 for 25Gb) £1.00 a month more, but it works 😁 A better alternative to buying a local Sim card. MIFI is Huawei.

Likes collected
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
This is one of the hardest aspects of travelling around. I need sims only for the time I'm in Europe (4 months over summer), so a Tesco contract is no good.

Tiekom - Although good in that it covers the EU (Zone 1), €43.90 for 200Gb isn't cheap. If you are only going to a limited number of countries a sim from the country you're going to could be a better option.

I've used a Free.fr €20 for 300Gb one (it's 350Gb now). Only 35Gb outside France. Coverage was better than the IQGo.

I've also seen Reglo mentioned for France.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
I am confused as none of the information above tally's with my plan, taken out last year, and my recent research. I have just been on mainland Europe for a month and needed to use a lot of data. I am with EE and have three sims in one package (one in a router and two in phones.) The router sim is on a plan where I get free unlimited roaming as a free add-on that would normally cost £25.00 pm. (could have chosen Netflix etc.) The phone sims have no incuded roaming. I can either pay £25 per month or £2.47 per day to use my data allowance abroad. I looked into buying SIM cards from other networks and regardless of the amount of Data included, all of them had a monthly limit of about 25gb when in Europe.
This if from EE website : “

Good to know​

If your plan comes with more than 50GB of data per month, a fair use policy of 50GB will apply when roaming abroad.”

So that put me off - it’s quite expensive for 50G per month. Also not sure it’s “Good”!!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
This is one of the hardest aspects of travelling around. I need sims only for the time I'm in Europe (4 months over summer), so a Tesco contract is no good.

Tiekom - Although good in that it covers the EU (Zone 1), €43.90 for 200Gb isn't cheap. If you are only going to a limited number of countries a sim from the country you're going to could be a better option.

I've used a Free.fr €20 for 300Gb one (it's 350Gb now). Only 35Gb outside France. Coverage was better than the IQGo.

I've also seen Reglo mentioned for France.

We're sticking with POPIT at 25gb in EU per month plus you can pause the sub for £1.60 per month. On sites we use our Starlink with a VPN, pricey but reliable. "You can't take it with you ".

Likes collected
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
I wouldn't touch Popit again with a 10 foot pole. They're horrible to deal with and 25Gb is useless.

Yes Starlink is looking like the only long term reliable option, but jeez the price (£96 pm now and limited to 2 months outside the UK). From the FAQ:

• If you use Starlink Roam in a country different from your shipping address for over two months, Starlink may require you to update your registered address to your new location. If your new location is not in an authorized territory (marked "Available" or "Waitlist" on the Starlink map), your service may be immediately suspended. See Terms of Service for more information.

At least you only have to pay for when you're using it. Also by the time you fart about getting sims that stop working or multiple sims for multiple countries....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back