Silly questions no.2 & 3 (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adamo 754DL
If I plug mh into electrics at home how long realistically should I leave it plugged in for ? Should it just be day before our trip or permanently.
Also will the van battery be maintained whilst plugged in?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
It really depends on your set up. I don't plug in before I go away apart from the night before to get the fridge down to temperature. My solar keeps both batteries topped up ( trickle charge to the cab battery is adequate) but I don't know what set up Bailey use.

Reactions: hja

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the answer to that simple question will be more complicated than you might think, it will depend on the type of batteries you have as Lithium don't like to sit at 100%, it might also depend on the type of battery charger on the van if it is not a proper 3 stage it might not be good for Lead batteries, and finally the starter battery may or may not be charged when plugged in depending how your van is set up. Do you have any solar on the van and does the starter battery go down now if not plugged in?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our Adamo has solar and it charges the van battery as well as the leisure.

We plug in for a day or so to get the fridge to temperature. Otherwise no need except maybe in the depths of winter when the solar is not so good.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Morning before you leave start fridge up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Day before for fridge. Before we had lithium and adequate solar we would keep an eye on the batteries and probably charge for two days every few weeks. We never left or leave it permanently connected. I know some permanently connect but on a timer for supply at appropriate times.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If I plug mh into electrics at home how long realistically should I leave it plugged in for ? Should it just be day before our trip or permanently.
Also will the van battery be maintained whilst plugged in?
You can leave it plugged into your ehu for as long as you like. You should see your leisure battery charged up with the onboard charger but unless you have a battery master I doubt your starter battery will be charged up.
Also as said switch on your 240v side of the fridge the previous day if your planning to go somewhere ( to get it nice and cold).
Remember to disconnect the ehu before you drive off anywhere. (y)

OP
OP
S
Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adamo 754DL
I think the answer to that simple question will be more complicated than you might think, it will depend on the type of batteries you have as Lithium don't like to sit at 100%, it might also depend on the type of battery charger on the van if it is not a proper 3 stage it might not be good for Lead batteries, and finally the starter battery may or may not be charged when plugged in depending how your van is set up. Do you have any solar on the van and does the starter battery go down now if not plugged in?
Thanks for reply the van is standard so not lithium & yes there is a solar panel 100w i think. How would I know if it is 3 stage

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I think you are worrying too much. Our Adamo charges the leisure battery and starter battery from solar and EHU. Just plug it taking voltage readings of both batteries before and after. Best cover the solar panel as if it’s sunny it will be showing just over 13v anyway.

OP
OP
S
Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adamo 754DL
Thanks for the reply’s I’ve certainly got a lot to learn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for reply the van is standard so not lithium & yes there is a solar panel 100w i think. How would I know if it is 3 stage
If it's a reasonably modern van it should be fine, basically you don't want it to hold the battery voltage above 14+v when fully charged, not sure how accurate the panel display is though, does your starter battery run down too low as you may have a second output from solar connected to the starter as David and Sally says.

OP
OP
S
Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adamo 754DL
Don’t pick it up until Wednesday and it is brand new so would expect it to have the latest equipment

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back