Shower pan replacement

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hello all. I’ve been putting this off but can’t any longer so need some help. I have a crack in the plastic shower pan and want to replace the whole thing on my Hymer Van 314. Anyone done this and what does it involve? Thanks 762.

IMG_0066.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
Another option from replacing is to get a company called speedcoat to repair insitu,, they did mine and would highly recommend and they will come to you but there will be a bit of a wait.

OP
OP
Sevensixtwo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Another option from replacing is to get a company called speedcoat to repair insitu,, they did mine and would highly recommend and they will come to you but there will be a bit of a wait.
Thanks for the heads up on speedcoat. Would have been a good option but I’m on the continent (do we still use that term?) for the foreseeable future so will be repairing/replacing it here in France.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Speedcoat may have franchisees in Western Europe according to their website.

OP
OP
Sevensixtwo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Speedcoat may have franchisees in Western Europe according to their website.

Nice tip thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Another vote for SpeedCoat if you can get them on the continent. Did our tray a few years ago and is much easier than trying to replace the tray.

OP
OP
Sevensixtwo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Another vote for SpeedCoat if you can get them on the continent. Did our tray a few years ago and is much easier than trying to replace the tray.
I’ve contacted them to see if it’s feasible. Meanwhile if anyone has done the replacement themselves please share your experience.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve contacted them to see if it’s feasible. Meanwhile if anyone has done the replacement themselves please share your experience.
I did a replacement myself a few years back on a Hobby Siesta,I had to take all the bathroom furniture out to remove the tray(I did put a new tray in).
The reason loads of trays crack is that the support underneath is just styrofoam and it's really not fit for purpose.I used a combination of marine ply covered in Yacht varnish and expanding foam to make sure under the shower tray was solid with no flex . It is a bit of work doing this but a great long lasting result if you have some DIY skills to do it yourself.
However I have heard good results from getting it coated without taking it out but I think the underlying problem of the failure of support underneath could be an issue again in years to come,just my opinion ,good luck on the route you take for the repair.
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Last edited:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I replaced the shower tray on my Hobby Van Exclusive.
As Pugsy says the problem of cracking is caused by the styrofoam compressing and not supporting the tray.
I did the same and used plywood and expanding foam to create a solid base.
It was a major job that required the complete removal of the toilet etc.
IMG_4879.jpeg

OP
OP
Sevensixtwo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I did a replacement myself a few years back on a Hobby Siesta,I had to take all the bathroom furniture out to remove the tray(I did put a new tray in).
The reason loads of trays crack is that the support underneath is just styrofoam and it's really not fit for purpose.I used a combination of marine ply covered in Yacht varnish and expanding foam to make sure under the shower tray was solid with no flex . It is a bit of work doing this but a great long lasting result if you have some DIY skills to do it yourself.
However I have heard good results from getting it coated without taking it out but I think the underlying problem of the failure of support underneath could be an issue again in years to come,just my opinion ,good luck on the route you take for the repair.
Cheers Cris 🍻.
Thanks Cris. Yes as you say the problem is a lack of support beneath the pan. I plan on building a foundation that will evenly support the tray but can already see this is not an afternoon job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back