Should I Take a Fishing Rod To Norway? (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We are planning our 90 day trip to Norway via Sweden & Finland in the summer and quite a few of the videos we have watched, the guy has often fished for their supper.
I have only fished once in my life and that was about 65 years ago so have no experience or equipment at all, but wondered if it was worth buying one of the cheap telescopic ones from a Chinese shop while we are in Spain.
If I ever catch anything I then have the problem of how I kill and clean it being a total woose about those things. My feelings are save the forty odd euros and buy fresh fish from the professionals.
Or will I regret it?
Kind comments only please 🙏 😀

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
I spent a few months in Norway with the Army and used to see many locals using handlines. This was in the days before (reliable) collapsible rods. Either would have minimum impact on space and load capacity.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Norway is expensive so free fish 🎣 are a bonus and you take in the breathtaking scenery and crisp clean air.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
Please take a rod and see how you fair. Well worth a dabble. You never know you may enjoy it and get more involved! You might catch or not, but well worth a crack! Look forward to the pics!!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Please take a rod and see how you fair. Well worth a dabble. You never know you may enjoy it and get more involved! You might catch or not, but well worth a crack! Look forward to the pics!!

And if it’s a decent sized halibut make sure you use ‘panorama’ view!

IMG_0857.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've been fishing all my life and although I still have the posh kit I just take a cheap 'n cheerful telescopic rod for space-saving and reel in the m/h and use it a lot. Apart from anything else it makes it look as though you're doing something rather than being lazy, dozing on the riverbank with a bottle of St Emilion.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I always take a Decathlon cheapo telescopic rod. Enjoy just casting into the ocean. Not a clue what I'd do if I ever caught anything but not much chance of that with my skills .

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If you're a whoose about killing & gutting, don't bother, why hack anything.
If you do decide, can't speak for Norway but in Sweden, shoreline fishing, without licence, is allowed and some lakes, best check?
In some isolated places, Baltic fishing is easy but go for the handline and not a weak rod!

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Right you lot, with nobody opposing the motion I have now been to Decathlon and parted with €35 of my precious pension pot. This got me a 6 section telescopic rod with a reel full of 10kilo line and a box with a fish with a hook on the end, a float and two large lead weights, are they called ledgers?
Now I need a crash course on how to use it. Do I have to dig up worms? Wet some bread and stick it on the hook or just use the little fish that has a hook at the end. See, I said I was clueless.
I expect to be living off fish 24/7 in Norway with the help of all my fellow Funsters! can’t wait. Not sure about that big one posted earlier, bit more than 10 kilos I think.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Right you lot, with nobody opposing the motion I have now been to Decathlon and parted with €35 of my precious pension pot. This got me a 6 section telescopic rod with a reel full of 10kilo line and a box with a fish with a hook on the end, a float and two large lead weights, are they called ledgers?
Now I need a crash course on how to use it. Do I have to dig up worms? Wet some bread and stick it on the hook or just use the little fish that has a hook at the end. See, I said I was clueless.
I expect to be living off fish 24/7 in Norway with the help of all my fellow Funsters! can’t wait. Not sure about that big one posted earlier, bit more than 10 kilos I think.
photos of the rod reel and fish with the hook please

then we can help :LOL:

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Plenty of youtube videos of fishing for beginners.
I fish quite a lot, and have fished in Sweden, Norway, Denmark,Iceland, Spain, Turkey, Malta and Greece and can tell you it is NOT an exact science.
But extremely good fun.
Tight lines!
PS, for Norway would seriously recommend Spinning as a technique, or if out in a boat, try trolling.
Best of luck and have some fun, and get some good polarised sun glasses to reduce glare from water, wherever you fish even on gloomy days.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I spent several weeks along the west coast of Norway. Not an experienced fisherman but more than adequately tooled up for spinning and all the other stuff. Tried all the places othe people were trying plus a few. Caught absolutely nothing. Didn't see anyone else succeed either😁
Caught nothing round Greece on another trip, either.
The fishmarket is your friend!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I spent several weeks along the west coast of Norway. Not an experienced fisherman but more than adequately tooled up for spinning and all the other stuff. Tried all the places othe people were trying plus a few. Caught absolutely nothing. Didn't see anyone else succeed either😁
Caught nothing round Greece on another trip, either.
The fishmarket is your friend!
But you forgot to take the fish 🧲

🤣

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
The fish with the hook you cast it in then wind it straight back in varying the speed in
That is 'live ,or dead' baiting, and can lead to catching some seriously BIG fish, with teeth, as they are normally predatory types.
You will need a good strong pair of gloves for handling some of those, such as Zander or Pike if in freshwater.
If you just want Mackerel or Herring, in seawater try simple 'feathering' from a boat or rocks into deepish water.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That is 'live ,or dead' baiting, and can lead to catching some seriously BIG fish, with teeth, as they are normally predatory types.
You will need a good strong pair of gloves for handling some of those, such as Zander or Pike if in freshwater.
If you just want Mackerel or Herring, in seawater try simple 'feathering' from a boat or rocks into deepish water.
He has the fish which I think is a spinner

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Wow, haven’t understood a word of all that so it will have to be the YouTube idiots guide I think. Either that or give the rod to Judy and open a few cans while I wait for dinner. 🤣🤣🤣🍷

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Wow, haven’t understood a word of all that so it will have to be the YouTube idiots guide I think. Either that or give the rod to Judy and open a few cans while I wait for dinner. 🤣🤣🤣🍷
Don't give up!
It's a great sport and you can pass several enjoyable hours just with nature, relaxing and chilling with a cold can of something alcoholic.
And if you catch something, it's a bonus.
As just about most Norwegian folks speak brilliant English, find where some of the locals are fishing and go and ask them what luck they are having and how they have got their kit set up.
Explain you are new to fishing, and as most fishermen are keen to help others who don't know alot, you will probably find you get some brilliant advice and instruction.
Give it a try as Fishing is , or can be great fun and at times, maddeningly frustrating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back