Should ehu charge the vehicle battery (1 Viewer)

KPMstar

Free Member
Dec 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Hi, I've looked all over and still not really sure..Chausson 640 TP 2021... when on ehu should both batteries be charged?

Solar unit in the "water/electric unit box" shows 2 batteries via leds. One steady and one flashing, so one(hab) full and one ok but obviously not full.
So I presume the solar charges both ..
It's not sunny now so little charge.
On the panel the vehicle battery was down so I connected ehu expecting after two nights and two half days for it to be charged. However no such luck, in fact even less charge.
Redarc fitted. Starting and running the engine appears ok and charges both.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Sounds like your solar is charging both. Easy to tell as there will be two sets of output from the controller.
Depends on your set up if ehu charges the vehicle battery too. If not, a Battery Master will help keep it charged from the leisure battery.
If you have a multimeter measure the voltage at the starter battery when on ehu or not.

OP
OP
K

KPMstar

Free Member
Dec 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Thanks. I know it's not charging on ehu.
But should it be?
Conflicting statements leave me not sure.
Chausson manual I have seen states the charger does not charge the vehicle battery. However as it has solar and the redarc unit too, it baffles me why ehu doesn't charge when the solar charges both!?
Thanks again for your reply.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Very often the main charger that charges the leisure battery from ehu is not connected to the starter battery. It only charges the leisure battery. Our last van, a Burstner, was like this.
Your solar does and the redarc sounds like a battery to battery charger that redistributes power between batteries. So, on ehu the redarc sounds like the one that sends power to the starter battery once the leisure battery is up to charge.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Chausson manual I have seen states the charger does not charge the vehicle battery. However as it has solar and the redarc unit too, it baffles me why ehu doesn't charge when the solar charges both!?

The 240 v charger and the solar charger are two different devices and as the Chausson manual states that the 240v charger does not charge the cab battery why would it baffle you that it does not charge the cab battery?
The 240v charger on our MH does not charge our cab battery, so I fitted a Battery Master to solve the problem. (y)

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Multimeter. Check each battery with charger on and off. Over 13volts will mean charge is being received .

Some vans do and some don't charge both.

OP
OP
K

KPMstar

Free Member
Dec 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Thanks to all.
My thoughts are that the ehu doesn't charge the vehicle battery and it's not manifested itself to me because the solar has previously managed to pull off the charging over the period of lay up.
This time perhaps not!? I know I didn't check last December/January so perhaps if I had just ignored the low battery it would have topped itself up by February/March.
In reply to why "Baffled ".. Simple..
If I had done the system myself I would have certainly ensured the ehu would have charged the vehicle battery also, either by "automated smart box" or by manual switching.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
K

KPMstar

Free Member
Dec 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Also I think the redarc is vehicle to hab only and doesn't do ehu back to vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back