Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Going on our first ever European tour now that we are BOTH retired 👍

We intend to go down the west coast of France then circumnavigate the whole of Spain, mostly visiting off the beaten track places. However, I would particularly like to see Seville and Granada and my initial searches for sites/overnight parking have not found any appealing options either close to the centres or just outside ☹️

Has anyone on here got any recommendations please? (We have a Swift 675 with bike rack, therefore 7.5m long so have to discount any good but small options). We don’t mind how far we might have to bus in and out (or maybe uber)!

Thank you 😊

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We used Camping Villsom for Seville. Bus Stop nearby direct into city. Nice enough site for a few days. Granada is a must do, but have not done that in the MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I second the suggestion of the aire on the marina at Gelves for Seville. There is a bus stop outside or a cycle path all the way in to Seville. Get there early, as it fills up fast.

For Granada we stayed at Parking Asadero Cenes, Carretera de Sierra Nevada kilómetros 6, 4, 18190 Cenes de la Vega, Granada, Spain. The main aire was closed when we were there at the beginning of February (it was closed at the end of December 2023) but you could still park outside and it was free when we were there. It was a short walk to the town center to catch a bus into Granada.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We just turned up at the gate and got tickets straight away. One part has timed entry, you may have to be flexible about that.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Going on our first ever European tour now that we are BOTH retired 👍

We intend to go down the west coast of France then circumnavigate the whole of Spain, mostly visiting off the beaten track places. However, I would particularly like to see Seville and Granada and my initial searches for sites/overnight parking have not found any appealing options either close to the centres or just outside ☹️

Has anyone on here got any recommendations please? (We have a Swift 675 with bike rack, therefore 7.5m long so have to discount any good but small options). We don’t mind how far we might have to bus in and out (or maybe uber)!

Thank you 😊
For Granada we used Camping Suspiro del Moro, 10 minute bus to Granada, and an ACSI site - very good. And Camping Villsom, also ACSI, 7km from Seville - this one is quite tight to pitch, but c;ose to good bus service.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Puerto Gelves. Very good cheap Aire on the port. On search for sights. Short bus trip to Seville.
That's the one recommended by a Spanish chap we met.

For granada/alhambra we stopped on the car park. Not cheap but right on the doorstep and great for an 08.30 entrance.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
That's the one recommended by a Spanish chap we met.

For granada/alhambra we stopped on the car park. Not cheap but right on the doorstep and great for an 08.30 entrance.

We will be there 21st May for an early start the next day. Really looking forward to it.

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I was at Gelves marina to visit Seville a few weeks back.Good stopover with nice bars and Italian pizza place on the marina. Make sure you arrive around midday morning or you won't get on

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
For Granada we used Camping Suspiro del Moro, 10 minute bus to Granada, and an ACSI site - very good. And Camping Villsom, also ACSI, 7km from Seville - this one is quite tight to pitch, but c;ose to good bus service.
This looks nice. How do you book it? (On the website it says advance bookings only but I cannot find a reference to booking pitches, only fixed accommodation). Thanks

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Two other places to add to your list when in that part of Spain. Cordoba to visit the town and especially the Mosque with a Christian Cathedral in the middle of it. You can visit it for an hour free early in the morning before the guided tours are allowed in, we stayed at I think Peter Pan cafe a few kilometres outside Cordoba very cheap and adequate, for us. Also El Roco is a must visit.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
You need to book tickets for the Alhambra weeks in advance.
Not so. We were there earlier this month. Booked tickets for the Alhambra online a couple of days in advance. No problem. You have to book a timed slot for the Nasrid Palace, but you can enter the rest of the site anytime on the day. Best to get there early to avoid the crowds. We spent nearly 8 hours there around the palaces and gardens. Fantastic place. There's a great value snack bar there too so no need to bring picnics.

We flew and stayed in an Airbnb, but if you're happy to wild camp we found a great spot in Granada by the Mirador de San Miguel Alto (which is the best viewpoint to see the Alhambra at sunset). One or two motorhomes parked there. Plenty of space, but choose your route carefully as the roads are narrow.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Booked tickets for the Alhambra online a couple of days in advance. No problem. You have to book a timed slot for the Nasrid Palace, but you can enter the rest of the site anytime on the day.
I spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying to find an option for the Nazrid Palace to no avail. Booked right through to late May. Had to settle for the general ticket.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Have booked a 3 hour guided tour, maximum 10 people, for Tuesday 21st May at 9am.
Originally wanted the day before but the 9am slot wasn’t available.
(The other times were 12noon, 3pm and 5pm).

Thanks for all the advice on here, we aim to arrive the afternoon before and park in the (expensive but convenient) Alhambra car park overnight ready for an early start before heading to the campsite afterwards for a couple more days to see more of Granada.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Do you mean El Rocio (Dônana)🤔😊 if it’s your first time well worth a visit we love it as we go birding there every winter.😊
We will definitely visit El Rocio, it looks fascinating. Can you advise on parking, it seems that there is no ‘overnighting’ which is a shame as it would be nice to stay for an evening meal and be out and about early morning.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Between 35 and 40 years ago since I visited the Alhambra. Very much less open to the public then, but still an arm and a leg to visit (Franco had not long died) and I was pretty appalled at how badly things had deteriorated as well as being totally gobsmacked by how utterly wonderful the place is. I urge you to make sure to climb the Water Staircase, the knowledge and embodiment of hydraulics way back then to construct it, still stuns me. It may only be running at certain times of day so check. (although, I was pretty sick of the sight of 'pomegranate effect' ceilings by the time we'd finished ! LOL)

Tips - VERY comfortable shoes, a decent sunhat, decent sunglasses, more than enough bottled water. Does say it now has a snack bar BUT been fooled by that wandering round places in France as well as some UK places, where the advertised cafe was outside the place, not halfway round, or no seating - so try and check/ask. And mainly - ENJOY!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We will definitely visit El Rocio, it looks fascinating. Can you advise on parking, it seems that there is no ‘overnighting’ which is a shame as it would be nice to stay for an evening meal and be out and about early morning.
Sorry spelt it wrong last time. When we went a few years ago we parked with a few other Vans beside the little used police station just across the road from the main town for two nights at the weekend with no problems. But things may have changed. There is a campsite nearby though. I do remember that the locals (weekenders) were partying till about 4 am nearby. And it was out of season. If you are going soon it is heading for the season and all will change.

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There is parking at El Rocio, just on the edge of the town but sadly no overnighting, which is a shame as we would have loved to stay there overnight.

Ronda is worth a visit too.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Two other places to add to your list when in that part of Spain. Cordoba to visit the town and especially the Mosque with a Christian Cathedral in the middle of it. You can visit it for an hour free early in the morning before the guided tours are allowed in, we stayed at I think Peter Pan cafe a few kilometres outside Cordoba very cheap and adequate, for us. Also El Roco is a must visit.
Cordoba is way better than Alhambra IMHO especially the mosque, we stopped at the aire next to the zoo and botanical gardens.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
then circumnavigate the whole of Spain, mostly visiting off the beaten track places. However, I would particularly like to see Seville and Granada and my initial searches for sites/overnight parking have not found any appealing options either close to the centres or just outside ☹️

Has anyone on here got any recommendations please?
You will need lots of time. retire to Spain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back