Series 8 Ducato - Checking Oil (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
So, getting to know the new vehicle, and whilst scrolling through the different pages, came accross the Oil level page (see attached).
In the so called improvements made to the series 8, there is no longer a dip stick, so you can no longer physically check the oil, but are now reliant on a gauge, which you have to scroll through pages to get to. At least in the previous Ducato, the oil level came up in the screen each time you turned the ignition on.
my question is, looking at the picture, it appears not to be on maximum, so do I add some oil, or leave it, as its ‘nearly’ full. And if I do add some , how much do you reckon?
I have always checked my oil on a regular basis, and am somewhat frustrated that am now totally reliant on a gauge.
my problem is that I am too old school🙈 and sometimes find it difficult to rely on technology🙈
494B5220-86A1-4626-B1ED-F242D7A68734.jpeg

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
my question is, looking at the picture, it appears not to be on maximum, so do I add some oil, or leave it, as its ‘nearly’ full. And if I do add some , how much do you reckon?
I no longer dip the oil on my Ducato and depend on the gauge. I would guess ( check the manual) that just like the dip stick it will be one litre between the top and bottom levels. Half a litre from half way?
My new engine only used one lire in the first 8 K miles and half a litre in the second 8 K.
Nothing to lose sleep over :drinks:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As long a it's above 'Min' it's o.k.
It's marked 'Min' for a reason.
I'm 'old school' too and at day release classes during my apprenticeship (1963 - 1969) with a R/Royce and Jag main dealer it was said that since the oil also has a cooling function the main advantage of having the oil always at 'Max' was when on extended journeys at speed in hot weather. I doubt that it's so critical with today's sophisticated engineering.

Last edited:

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
So, getting to know the new vehicle, and whilst scrolling through the different pages, came accross the Oil level page (see attached).
In the so called improvements made to the series 8, there is no longer a dip stick, so you can no longer physically check the oil, but are now reliant on a gauge, which you have to scroll through pages to get to. At least in the previous Ducato, the oil level came up in the screen each time you turned the ignition on.
I have always checked my oil on a regular basis, and am somewhat frustrated that am now totally reliant on a gauge.
my problem is that I am too old school🙈 and sometimes find it difficult to rely on technology🙈
View attachment 700868
There is no need to add oil until it gets to minimum, its only 1 litre from full to the empty line so I read .. BTW, ours reads the same as yours and were on 1800 miles

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
WRT topping up, I'd leave it until it's at least half way down the gauge and then add maybe 1/4 litre and note what effect it has. As you will know, you absolutely do not want to overfill it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Agree with the above - no need to add oil unless you get a low oil warning - or the dash gauge is reading low.
I have the old system - garage did oil and filter change and afterwards I discovered the oil had been overfilled according to the dipstick. The dash gauge was then reading 4/5 boxes. Drained off 0.6 litres - dipstick showing exact max level. Dash gauge still reading 4/5 boxes. I have found that its not possible to check level with the dipstick with hot oil - it just smears all over and can't see any definitive level. Only way I have found to do it is to leave overnight and then just pull the dipstick straight out and read the level.
With your dipstick-less engine you have no choice but to trust the level gauge / warning systems.

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
Agree with the above - no need to add oil unless you get a low oil warning - or the dash gauge is reading low.
I have the old system - garage did oil and filter change and afterwards I discovered the oil had been overfilled according to the dipstick. The dash gauge was then reading 4/5 boxes. Drained off 0.6 litres - dipstick showing exact max level. Dash gauge still reading 4/5 boxes. I have found that its not possible to check level with the dipstick with hot oil - it just smears all over and can't see any definitive level. Only way I have found to do it is to leave overnight and then just pull the dipstick straight out and read the level.
With your dipstick-less engine you have no choice but to trust the level gauge / warning systems.
Quick tip on checking engine oil level. Take dip stick out & wait for 5 - 10 mins with engine cold (stops capillary Action on certain vehicles) Then a quick in all the way & out. Usually works for troublesome cars and maybe vans too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hope it is more reliable than on the last version. Mine comes up with different level every time you turn on and keeps coming up with a low oil level warning. My mates is the same.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only way I have found to do it is to leave overnight and then just pull the dipstick straight out and read the level.
If you do that on mine the level is 2,5" above full.You have to clean it with a rag then dip it to get exact level.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
On mine reading straight out or cleaning with a rag, re-inserting and then reading are exactly the same. So I go for the simpler option (PSA DW12 RUD engine for reference).

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have a new one and whilst I cannot recall exact where I read it I am pretty sure when the time comes it tells you to add 200ml at a time until, I presume, it tells you to stop. I expect it will be a message on the dash.

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Quick tip on checking engine oil level. Take dip stick out & wait for 5 - 10 mins with engine cold (stops capillary Action on certain vehicles) Then a quick in all the way & out. Usually works for troublesome cars and maybe vans too.
Read the post there's no dip stick!!!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Give the prevalence of generic warning light problems linked to oil level sensor failure on previous Ducato models, the absence of a dip stick is just a balls ache waiting to happen - hope I’m wrong? Sounds like a solution to a problem that didn’t exist!

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Long live the dip-stick!!
For any one interested in oil this is interesting.
They do some nutty stuff but some like you've never seen before. The AI russian translation is amazing.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Now I have two with no dipstick! Having said that the Volvo warning 'add 500ml' has been pretty accurate . Time will tell with the Fiat 8 series. Still trying to master all the electronics including the magic steering wheel controls which so far appear to be switched off as they do zilch!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Are you certain you have no dipstick?

The reason I say this is, just before Covid, I was on a site in Dorset and a new Ducato parked on the pitch beside me.

I got chatting and being interested in engines, I asked if I could have a look? The owner said, "of course, I have only had the vehicle 4months and I haven't seen it yet!"
"What!" I replied, "you have had it 4months and have not checked the oil yet", "I haven't got a dipstick", he said, "just a gauge on the dash and it shows it's okay"

This definitely put me off getting a new van, relying on a sensor instead of a dipstick is not for me.

After looking at the mechanics for about 10 minutes, I found an, easily missed dipstick. I was tucked right under the crossmember above the radiator but you really had to look for it.

It would not surprise me if the new ones do not have a dipstick as a number of cars don't, but it might be worth a look?

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
No the new, July 21 released, version has no dipstick for certain. It has a new engine too and was launched on the 40th anniversary I think. Because of the pandemic and supply issues there are not many of them about really. Ours should have come in September 21 but only arrived in July 22.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I had a car some years ago that i had to buy a new longer dip stick as the one in it wouldn't reach the oil.🕺

When that happened to me I tried to get some 710 as indicated on the filler cap but nobody knew what I was talking about 🤷‍♂️

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
"What!" I replied, "you have had it 4months and have not checked the oil yet", "I haven't got a dipstick", he said, "just a gauge on the dash and it shows it's okay"
In 30 years of buying new cars every 3-5 years I've never needed to put oil in them ..... until I got a Fiat motorhome.

Jan 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Interestingly some of the Series 8 2.2 Ducato variants do have a dipstick. It's a very tight fit as it has to bend behind the front-mounted DPF and then out over the wide exhaust flange and behind the fans but it is possible. Also when this 'new' Stellantis Family B engine first appeared in 2016 in the Jeep Cherokee a dipstick was fitted. Perhaps they decided that motorhome owners would prefer not to get their hands dirty!

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Thought I would just add to this. Driving to Turkey and done about 2000 miles on trip. Total mileage on vehicle now about 4,000 miles.
Anyway, wasting time at the border I was reading all the menus. Adblu was an about halfway, so having read all the threads on Adblu, I filled it up. I carried some in the motorhome. That gave me something to do and I was happy.
Then checked the oil and according to the gauge it was down at below a 1/3 so I figured sooner or later I would get oil.
Coming through northern Turkey I spot a main Fiat, really smart, dealer so I pulled in.
Asked them what oil in needed, took the handbook and showed them the recommended oil.
The guy took me to the Shell garage, next door and picked up a litre of oil, they explained the dealership only had 5 litres and I didn’t need that.
Anyway the mechanic then filled it for me!
Now to the point! When I showed him the gauge it now read 3/4 full! Ever felt an idiot?
I guess the fact engine had been stopped for about 15 minutes allowed oil to settle back in the sump and give a correct reading.
The guy indicated it only needed 500ml and poured that in, with his assistant holding the funnel, obviously the skilled mechanic didn’t do that sort of thing.
They then had a good look around the vehicle and with their phones on translate, congratulated me on my vehicle and wished me a pleasant trip.
I left reassured, they probably went back to the workshop and laughed about the idiot foreigner.
All my previous vehicles with dip sticks I have checked oil level once vehicle is cold, it never occurred to me to do the same with the electronic gauge.
I blame my age, lesson learned!
Just as an aside driving the vehicle, set on cruise control at 58 mph ( around 93 k ) with the benefit of the automatic gear box and set on ECO has been a pleasure. Not that I want to tempt fate.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
This video shows the circulation of the oil in the engine, even though in the video it is contaminated

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
Thought I would just add to this. Driving to Turkey and done about 2000 miles on trip. Total mileage on vehicle now about 4,000 miles.
Anyway, wasting time at the border I was reading all the menus. Adblu was an about halfway, so having read all the threads on Adblu, I filled it up. I carried some in the motorhome. That gave me something to do and I was happy.
Then checked the oil and according to the gauge it was down at below a 1/3 so I figured sooner or later I would get oil.
Coming through northern Turkey I spot a main Fiat, really smart, dealer so I pulled in.
Asked them what oil in needed, took the handbook and showed them the recommended oil.
The guy took me to the Shell garage, next door and picked up a litre of oil, they explained the dealership only had 5 litres and I didn’t need that.
Anyway the mechanic then filled it for me!
Now to the point! When I showed him the gauge it now read 3/4 full! Ever felt an idiot?
I guess the fact engine had been stopped for about 15 minutes allowed oil to settle back in the sump and give a correct reading.
The guy indicated it only needed 500ml and poured that in, with his assistant holding the funnel, obviously the skilled mechanic didn’t do that sort of thing.
They then had a good look around the vehicle and with their phones on translate, congratulated me on my vehicle and wished me a pleasant trip.
I left reassured, they probably went back to the workshop and laughed about the idiot foreigner.
All my previous vehicles with dip sticks I have checked oil level once vehicle is cold, it never occurred to me to do the same with the electronic gauge.
I blame my age, lesson learned!
Just as an aside driving the vehicle, set on cruise control at 58 mph ( around 93 k ) with the benefit of the automatic gear box and set on ECO has been a pleasure. Not that I want to tempt fate.
BMW's with the electronic oil level gauge only measures when the engine is hot and you have to be stationary (the screen tells you what to so).Germans got it right.

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
In 30 years of buying new cars every 3-5 years I've never needed to put oil in them ..... until I got a Fiat motorhome.
Modern engines are using thinner & thinner oil to get better fuel economy. Its one of the reasons why even on new vehicles oil consumption can appear excessive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back