Seized wind down spare wheel carrier

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, we have a 2014 Bessacarr on a Fiat Ducato base which has a wind up/down mechanism to carry the spare wheel under the middle of the van.
I thought I would drop the wheel down and check it still has air in it and that everything was working as it has been a few years…
The wheel should lower on a steel wire but it appears to be seized…I’ve tried turning it back and forwards to try to free it with no joy…
Has anyone experienced this or know if it is possible to get in to the mechanism to lubricate the moving parts?
Thank you!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I had same on an Iveco (at the side of the road when I had a puncture) it had been lowered about a year before... fortunately I had a cordless angle grinder with me as nothing would move it,even once off the van could 'nt move it in the workshop,threw it away and sold van a few months later with spare in back !

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If you can get it into a garage with a pit, they might be able to sort it. Some people have it loosened off then tightened back up at every MoT test ...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Always a good idea to check it annually. You could try a lubricating spray around every crevice, leaving it to soak in for day and then try again.

OP
OP
Simon says...
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks…I’ll try spraying everything tomorrow and leave to soak…will make a point of an annual check…if I get it working!
Would be reluctant to cut it off…not many other places to store a spare wheel…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
The one on my work van did the same when I had a puncture so had to call breakdown service who cut it off with angle grinder

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back