Seeking NC500 Tips for Campervan Newbies (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2022
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, my partner and I are quite new to the forum, and camper vanning.
We have recently bought our first ever camper van (VW T6). We are looking to do the NC500 in the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone on the forum could give us some recommendations of places to stay, and any other advice you may have for two campervan newbies.
:giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
ello

My first thoughts are whether you have shower and toilet facilities onboard?

Even if you have them, facilities are quite widespread on that route.

I suggest you have one season of getting used to your T6 and the most comfortable way to operate it before venturing onto the NC500.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Dont pressure yourself would be my tip, trying to do it all ASAP. Give it a try and decide which way round, then have a good moooch on here for others who may have done similar.
There are plenty nice places, then there are pitfalls like midgies at certain times of the year on the west, traffic during holiday season etc.

plenty folk doing it esp in the summer months, and you'll meet lots of like minded folk, just as much as you may encounter those that dont want you (us) there.

Use the search bar for NC500, and Im sure you will find lots to tease your tastebuds.

Some love it others don't, me personally I think its well overrated, but seems to be one of the "must do's" thanks to marketing from the Scots, but with all the "youtubers" and every Tom dick and harry now, it seems to have imploded on itself.

Id much rather potter round the lakes, devon, cumbria, and avoid the anti-English feeling I encountered blatantly both times I did it, some want our tourist £, and some dont want us at all.

Their choice, and given that some "campers" got us a bad name with leaving rubbish and being irresponsible you can somewhat understand it, but no its not for me.

in fact I'd much rather hop over the channel and do it properly, Aires every 2 farts, much nicer roads, and a more welcoming approach in general.

start here good luck

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Done it a few times and loved it every time. Always been made welcome and never encountered any issues. We avoid nigh season due to the volumes of visitors. Download the NC500 app.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
think its well overrated, but seems to be one of the "must do's" thanks to marketing from the Scots,
I am a Scot and agree wholeheartedly with that comment....
Plenty of just as impressive ( if not better) place to see and do up here than driving around what can sometimes give the M25 a run for its money🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did it 2016 before the masses and loved it. You might find some of our trip interesting here’s a link.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We have done the NC500 once anti-clockwise just two of us driving a T6 LWB Highroof in May 2018 and enjoyed it. Where possible we use wild spots for overnight and if you look carefully there are plenty of them. The rules are simple, park well away from habitation and ensure that you infringe no-ones privacy. When you leave be sure that the most you leave behind are your tyre marks.
It's often worth investigating places off the published NC500 route both for interest and scenery.
Search for sights website or their app provide a good source of stopping places both wild and campsites. With a bit of diligence you will find services for filling with freshwater, emptying toilet cassette and grey water tank if you have such on board, even some away from campsites, harbour side parkings are a good example of these.

Upvote 0

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I am a Scot and agree wholeheartedly with that comment....
Plenty of just as impressive ( if not better) place to see and do up here than driving around what can sometimes give the M25 a run for its money🤣🤣
We were going to do the NC500 last October, but I’ve never seen so many hired MH’s before, all in the Inverness area, all setting off to blast around that route.

Also seeing how some of these MH newbie's were behaving in camp sites and on the roads convinced us to avoid the NC500, and we had a fantastic time in other parts of Scotland instead.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We did it last May. Started in Inverness and went Anti clockwise. We then went to Skye aswell.

To be honest we didn't plan at all. We are in a large (7.5 metre) motorhome but we just stopped in car parks or free spots that we found as we went along along and with the help of Park4 night, google maps and search for sites. It would be even easier in a campervan of your size but I guess it depends whether you can be self contained or not.

We went in May and it wasn't busy at all.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We were going to do the NC500 last October, but I’ve never seen so many hired MH’s before, all in the Inverness area, all setting off to blast around that route.

Also seeing how some of these MH newbie's were behaving in camp sites and on the roads convinced us to avoid the NC500, and we had a fantastic time in other parts of Scotland instead.

There are a lot of hire companies but once on the road I saw very few hired motorhomes. In May it really was quiet, pleasant and I saw no 'poor behaviour' at all. I didn't venture into any campsites.

Reactions: CRD
Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all, my partner and I are quite new to the forum, and camper vanning.
We have recently bought our first ever camper van (VW T6). We are looking to do the NC500 in the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone on the forum could give us some recommendations of places to stay, and any other advice you may have for two campervan newbies.
:giggle:
We do bits of it nearly every year but never when you're thinking of doing so.

Height of midge season and the weather just now is "heaven" for them so guess it'll be an earlyish hatch!

We tend to go March / April or September / October.

End March
1715336105396.png

1715336122558.png

Early April
1715336232946.png

1715336581157.png

September (brrrrr!) and then the next day!
1715336333336.png

1715336424505.png

1715336673903.png

and later the same day!
1715336756569.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

HUMMMMMMMM

JJ
"The tourists even help themselves to the water that is only supposed to be used by families visiting graves."

:LOL::LOL:
they are even on about us nicking graveyard water now never mind the rainwater

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
All this negativity for the NC500, I'm wondering if I did something else this time last year. I wonder whether these Scots are just trying to keep people away with their tales of how rubbish it is.

We set off from Inverness and travelled the coast in an antique clockwise direction. I didn't see any traffic other than normal quiet country roads. We didn't stay anywhere particular. Just drove, stopped at places and enjoyed scenery and explored castles, mountains, lochs, village etc.

However, we are a fully self contained motorhome, might be different for a smaller campervan depending on your facilities.

We overnighted on cliff tops, carparks (paid and unpaid) and a pub stop. We just used park4njght and search for sits app to find locations. Didn't plan and took about 2 weeks but included Skye and the kelpies in that.

Ignore the naysayers - a lovely bit of the UK to explore

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My advice, if, when you do it, passing places are just that, not 'nice areas to park up' Use them to let others pass too. Would not go in high season, but you never know am heading to Scotland in June/July.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
"The tourists even help themselves to the water that is only supposed to be used by families visiting graves."

:LOL::LOL:
they are even on about us nicking graveyard water now never mind the rainwater
Serves them right if they come down with the dreaded lurgi! Happened at our folks gravesite and it's in a provincial town!
Most water at remote cemeteries will not be mains water but fed from a local burn that could (regularly) have dead sheep / wildlife it it. As said, it's for watering floral tributes for the deceased.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd rather drink muddy puddle water which a herd of elephants had weed in than touch a drop of the stuff produced by that disgusting company... :wink:

JJ :cool:
Agreed, not the best drop of water to add to your Scotch!

Allegedly, but from a very good source, the quality of the water was one of the main contributing factors for Guinness closing their brewery at Park Royal and repatriating product back to Dublin about six years after TW took control!

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Agreed, not the best drop of water to add to your Scotch!
If you need to add water to yer whisky then you need to get a more mellow and more palatable malt that suits yer palette.
Yes adding water does mellow harsh malts, but why not have the full experience and have malts that are suited to your individual taste without having to watter them doon...

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you need to add water to yer whisky then you need to get a more mellow and more palatable malt that suits yer palette.
Yes adding water does mellow harsh malts, but why not have the full experience and have malts that are suited to your individual taste without having to watter them doon...
Because most professional nosers say you should add a drop.
Having said that I can be a heathen and put an ice cube in so folk will complain that it's cloudy. Flocculation has a lot to answer for! :whistle2:
Think it's gonna be Clynelish or Glen Ord tonight.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back