Scooter on back, recommendations

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Detleffs Globebus
Exp
since 2015
Hello Funsters, from a new member
I have an A class MH upgraded to 3700kg but with 2000kg back axle limit. I have a towbar fitted rear tray arrangement which could potentially take a light scooter in place of the bikes to extend our range. I have mocked up the weight on the tray and had it weighed and have enough payload for a scooter of up to about 100kg. I was thinking of a circa 100cc Scooter eg Honda Vision or similar (I have the licence). My questions to you Funsters are:
1. Any recommendations for scooters of 100kg or less
2. Experience with Scooters - advantages/disadvantages, eg any issues with MH handling
Many thanks all

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We carry both. Can’t comment on the usability. Our modus operandi is; 40km or less round trip we use the e-bikes. 100km or less (round trip) we use the scooter, more than 100km we move nearer to where we want to be!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
That is the trade-off; what ancillary modes of transport and how many? Some have cars as 'tenders' :giggle:

In my previous van we carried a 300cc Honda scooter. It was bigger, of course, and weighed 160kg. And we could travel at motorway speeds on it. That's another trade-off; is it powerful enough to be safe in traffic? My only other comment would be that I think bigger wheels are better - it had 16 inch wheels (and I think the Vision also has a 16 inch front wheel).

I now have a 6m PVC and tend to use it to go to the things we want to see. Also have electric bikes we sometimes carry with us, but if there will be much traffic or if traffic will be faster then we take the van.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have an A class MH upgraded to 3700kg but with 2000kg back axle limit. I have a towbar fitted rear tray arrangement which could potentially take a light scooter in place of the bikes to extend our range. I have mocked up the weight on the tray and had it weighed and have enough payload for a scooter of up to about 100kg. I was thinking of a circa 100cc Scooter eg Honda Vision or similar (I have the licence). My questions to you Funsters are:
2. Experience with Scooters - advantages/disadvantages, eg any issues with MH handling
Many thanks all
new ember ? joined 2019 ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I’m visiting Armitages on Wednesday to discuss carrier options for a scooter plus 2 cycles. I also want to keep our towbar for intermittent use with the trailer and quad not at the same time I hasten to add! They have a removable folding job with a payload limit of 150kg that appears to offer some possibilities, but I’ve a couple of ideas to put to them for possible adaptations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Many thanks all
Suzuki Address 110cc, it's similar to the Honda Vision but also has a kick start 👌
9bhp and about 100kg

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Many thanks all
You will need to find out what weight the actual tow bar can take if you intend to use.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Suzuki Address 110cc, it's similar to the Honda Vision but also has a kick start 👌
9bhp and about 100kg

The address 125cc caught my eye as it’s only 105kg (wet or dry? They state ‘kerb weight’ so I’m assuming the former.). Or the Yamaha 125cc RAYZR at 99kg would also fit the bill.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The address 125cc caught my eye as it’s only 105kg (wet or dry? They state ‘kerb weight’ so I’m assuming the former.). Or the Yamaha 125cc RAYZR at 99kg would also fit the bill.
Oh looks like the 125 is new from 2023 onwards 🤔 having a quick Google... The 110cc is the same BHP but has bigger wheels, also looks more modern.

I'm surprised the 125 is still only 9bhp, the Honda 125 is 12bhp.

To be honest with you, all the 125s are crap, we had an 8bhp vision for 9 years and wouldn't have another, only reason I kept it is Ann said she wouldn't go on anything bigger, they are fast enough but setting off 2 up or pulling out up a hill they are dangerous.

If your van can't take the weight get a trailer and something with at least 25bhp. Got a Duke 390 (149kg 43bhp)at the moment and it's ideal, just needs panniers for the shopping.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Thanks for the additional information, all good. (y)

Have a few toys with much more muscle and a trailer to put them on - this 1000cc V Twin is fun!

IMG_6276.jpeg

Don’t want to tow if possible so I’m trying to juggle things at the moment as taking the cycles is essential, and they have to go on a rear carrier due to internal space constraints. A lightweight scooter would be very handy for getting around on too if the terrain wasn’t conducive to pedal power!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back