Sargent charge controller issue

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Can any funsters help!
Wanted to change the onboard controller to Victron shown in image below seen many posts on doing this but none with this controller.
I’ve marked image below with no 1 and 2 on the live feeds and circled where they connect to, clearly on 2 separate terminals on the panel.
If I’m to maintain all functions on the control panel do i 1. Join both these feeds together and put into battery live feed terminal on Victron or
2. Connect only one of them to battery live terminal on Victron.
Lost at what to do!
Any help appreciated. Panel is Ec328.

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

bc509ed0-5257-441c-a49f-c0881c1218f6.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
An expert will be along soon. I would think that as you are going from a 2 battery output to a single battery output you should put #1 in to the victron, the panel cables in to the pv feed and use a battery master to feed the cab battery. You should be able to use the cable #2 to feed your cab battery from a battery master. I really wouldn’t put #1 and #2 in to the victron, doesn’t feel right but very happy to be schooled.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
An expert will be along soon. I would think that as you are going from a 2 battery output to a single battery output you should put #1 in to the victron, the panel cables in to the pv feed and use a battery master to feed the cab battery. You should be able to use the cable #2 to feed your cab battery from a battery master. I really wouldn’t put #1 and #2 in to the victron, doesn’t feel right but very happy to be schooled.
Didn’t think of your option, thought there might be a way to do and maintain the current system functions, it seems the starter battery gets neglected then.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Edit. Plug #3 appears to be an earth so may need to go to the victron too.
Correct the other cables I understand it’s just the 1 and 2 I have issues with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Didn’t think of your option, thought there might be a way to do and maintain the current system functions, it seems the starter battery gets neglected then.
I’m sure an expert that knows your psu will have the perfect solution where you don’t need a battery master. Are you wedded to the victron? There are some other decent dual controllers out there but a bit bigger in size perhaps 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
The Votronic Duo MPP has dual output - one for the leisure battery and one for the vehicle battery. If you use Victron you need a battery master or Ablemail to keep the vehicle battery charged.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
The Votronic Duo MPP has dual output - one for the leisure battery and one for the vehicle battery. If you use Victron you need a battery master or Ablemail to keep the vehicle battery charged.
As does the epever duoracer, but big. I use it with a little Bluetooth dongle.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
I was afraid of that, that shouldn’t be to hard to add 👍

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
As does the epever duoracer, but big. I use it with a little Bluetooth dongle.
I may add another panel and fit the Victron I have now brought to that and go with one of your suggestions. Although I have 280 watts already going direct to batteries. They do say you can never have enough solar 🤣

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Depending on total capacity of your solar - will the 75/10 be capable or do you need one to handle larger capacity ?
Yes it’s a 10amp controller the same as rated in the image it’s just the compatibility I didn’t take on board. Just wanted a better unit installed to get max from the Sargent setup. I also have 280 watts running direct to batteries via a Victron setup.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I was afraid of that, that shouldn’t be to hard to add
Yes, you can add it right there. A BatteryMaster needs a wire to the starter battery positive, leisure battery positive and a negative, which are all present at the solar controller. It's only a small trickle charge, so thin wire would be fine.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Yes, you can add it right there. A BatteryMaster needs a wire to the starter battery positive, leisure battery positive and a negative, which are all present at the solar controller. It's only a small trickle charge, so thin wire would be fine.
Is the batterymaster a make or a term for products.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The generic term is 'battery maintainer', and a VanBitz BatteryMaster is one example, a favourite on here. Also the Ablemail AMT-12, and Votronic, CBE and other major electrics firms do a similar product.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
The generic term is 'battery maintainer', and a VanBitz BatteryMaster is one example, a favourite on here. Also the Ablemail AMT-12, and Votronic, CBE and other major electrics firms do a similar product.
Thankyou will look these up, I did see a Victron duo pwm this seems to cater for both batteries although a pwm it’s got to be better than the Sargent one in image.

IMG_0255.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Thankyou will look these up, I did see a Victron duo pwm this seems to cater for both batteries although a pwm it’s got to be better than the Sargent one in image.
A dual solar controller will certainly keep both batteries topped up in storage, provided there is enough sun of course. A battery maintainer works whenever the leisure battery is charged, to top up the starter battery. If the MH is stored in a barn for example, with no sun available but maybe mains hookup is available.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
A dual solar controller will certainly keep both batteries topped up in storage, provided there is enough sun of course. A battery maintainer works whenever the leisure battery is charged, to top up the starter battery. If the MH is stored in a barn for example, with no sun available but maybe mains hookup is available.
I do have 280watts of solar going straight to a 230ah lithium (soon to be fitted) so only looking to optimise the additional 115 Victron panel which feeds the Sargent controller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back