Salzburg to Calais throughnal (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Number 3 because I basically forgot number 2

A very very flat stage of the Alpenstraße from Ruhpolding down to rip Van winkle as we call it.
It was 22 KMs long and we decided not to mention that we didn't bring our E bikes. We followed the E bikes path and saw how shady it was, how they... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/unterwössen-alpenstraße.520/
Last time we went through rip van winkl the town was nice with the pole tree thingy in the middle, but the so called aire looked a bit run down and forlorn, that’s if it’s still there🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Last time we went through rip van winkl the town was nice with the pole tree thingy in the middle, but the so called aire looked a bit run down and forlorn, that’s if it’s still there🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👍
There were 3 motorhomes in a car park but the advertised Aire on the right on the way towards ruhpolding just out of town had a sign and glancing up there it didn't entice me to have a look

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Rip Van winkle was something of nothing to us.
We still can't get out french parking berets on where it concerns the motorbike.
I just want to dump it against a lamppost but nobody else does it.
It's made worst at the moment with a bald tyre but hopefully get that done in the morning.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Like your photos and I do not want to impose on your trip but I would find some pics of the road journey from Garmisch area to Lindau helpful, also any comments on your stopovers along the way. I have a list of Stellplatz/Sites off the route website but any confirmations from you on good stops would be great. I note your comments on Garmisch sites costs in the earlier post. Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Unbelievably slow and long travel day. We ended up in Kempten about 1830 hrs.
For a similar amount of time we could have in Bergues as it is pretty close to what we did on our first day.
Very slow travel and slower internet at Kempten but hoping for a bike mend day as there was nothing on the Alpenstraße.

Fell out of love with the road yesterday. No parking, paying if you found it, umleitung after umleitung, traffic lights galore, 30kph limits. It got better towards the end.

3 entries.

Waterfalls, toll road and a lake to swim at with free parking

Journal entry 'Wallgau toll road. Alpenstraße' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/wallgau-toll-road-alpenstraße.521/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Like your photos and I do not want to impose on your trip but I would find some pics of the road journey from Garmisch area to Lindau helpful, also any comments on your stopovers along the way. I have a list of Stellplatz/Sites off the route website but any confirmations from you on good stops would be great. I note your comments on Garmisch sites costs in the earlier post. Cheers
It wouldn't be an imposition at all.

Need to get the bike fixed today and we will head to Lindau as it seems right to do. It's 61km from where we are (off the alpinestraße) to Lindau which is right at the top end of motorcycling day for us (as we search for gel padding)

We may head to Lindau area in the van and go backwards on the motorbike.

Kempten is, from what we saw last night, a lovely non touristy town, very clean and new. We thought we would be parking in a park and ride but we are only 200 m from the town centre over a pedestrian bridge.
The actual Aire is tight without views and functional (at best) services but 5 euros for 24 hours. Only 6 or 7 spaces however overnight it appears motorhomes park on the entrance road which appears to be free overnight and paying (4 euros) for the day. You're going to be woken early in the morning there I would think as it is the only way into the towns main car park. Motorhomes also park wherever they want in the car park overnight.

We managed to get into the aire and we're woken by a tractor engine of a motorhome taking no notice of husband's directions and 17 point reversing within inches of our open window so the road seemed a good option last night.
We may well stay another night here so it's not that bad.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Unbelievably slow and long travel day. We ended up in Kempten about 1830 hrs.
For a similar amount of time we could have in Bergues as it is pretty close to what we did on our first day.
Very slow travel and slower internet at Kempten but hoping for a bike mend day as there was nothing on the Alpenstraße.

Fell out of love with the road yesterday. No parking, paying if you found it, umleitung after umleitung, traffic lights galore, 30kph limits. It got better towards the end.

3 entries.

Waterfalls, toll road and a lake to swim at with free parking

Journal entry 'Wallgau toll road. Alpenstraße' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/wallgau-toll-road-alpenstraße.521/
Is that the one from krun to vorderiß?
Is it still 4 tons limit?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Is that the one from krun to vorderiß?
Is it still 4 tons limit?
There was a 4 ton limit sign as you entered the non toll part of the road from the reservoir (just after the motorhome fun graffiti sticker on the left about 2/3 of the way over the dam and angled at precisely 118 degrees west of magnetic north 12 degrees off perpendicular if I remember correctly)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
There was a 4 ton limit sign as you entered the non toll part of the road from the reservoir (just after the motorhome fun graffiti sticker on the left about 2/3 of the way over the dam and angled at precisely 118 degrees west of magnetic north 12 degrees off perpendicular if I remember correctly)
I came in from the other side and I’m sure there was a 4t sign at the little booth at the Krun end👍
It’s a nice scenic road at the side of the Isar river👌🏼 it was €4 for the bike back then😉👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I came in from the other side and I’m sure there was a 4t sign at the little booth at the Krun end👍
It’s a nice scenic road at the side of the Isar river👌🏼 it was €4 for the bike back then😉👍
As we went along it, it dawned on us we had done it before. Reckon it's 6 euros now for your Harley but I didn't overly look.
On a better day you could see yourself picnicing on the extensive banking with very easy access from the multiple free car parks.
Still have sheds/booths both ends and we did see a police car with what looked like a gobby teenager in the back, so probably the local copper picking his kid up from school

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
After yesterday's fiasco of not being able to locate a 90/90/14 tyre anywhere we started at the tourist information first thing, explaining our woes and then made phone calls which were taken over by the young lady who acted as a translator
4 phone calls to local tyre and motorbike shops with no clues forward.
We were aware of a national bike parts shop called Louis that opened at 1100 hrs so a wander round the town and phone call to mum on her 85th and we were sat outside at 1040 hrs with others who confirmed to us they do tyres.
Shop opens, no tyres so they send us walking another 1500 m without shade to a tyre shop who just said I told you this morning it will be 4-5 days. Then he put his helpful hat on in front of a customer and gave us a phone number where eventually someone who spoke English said 90/90/14 yes. And we can take the wheel off the bike for you. As I don't have a 22mm socket and I broke my 14 mm socket in using it with force and stretched my back. Realising we didn't even know where they were some reverse googling of the phone number and we are currently sat outside a massive tyre place, bike out of van and their 1300 lunch nearly over.

We see light at the end of the tunnel, we just don't know if it's a man with a torch or not

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Kempten

A fair to medium bit off the Alpenstraße so haven't added it to the title.
We came here purely because we couldn't believe the prices of Aires in Fussen where we have been before and Garmisch but we needed a larger town to get the Suzuki address... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/kempten.524/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The bike is up and running. 2 new tyres and the cost of having to throw ours away and a man to take the wheels off and on (no tools and dodgy back) left us 200 euros lighter and we had to pay cash after credit debit cards and bank transfer caused us angst.

It was at this stage while we waited for 2 hours for the whole transaction that our on the hoof planning brought us to just north of friedrichschafen.
We decided to abandon the Alpenstraße (sorry CamperManLez ) for various accumulative reasons.

We did rejoin the Alpenstraße when our Umleitung took us onto it only to be met with an Alpenstraße umleitung within 3 KMs of Lindau. Rotten traffic jam caused us 20 minutes on the 2nd one and probably 20 minutes on the first one. Hoping we have seen the end of them but fearing the worst.

While I m here where is what is the place Messe ? Is it another town like Ausfahrt which doesn't appear on maps ?

A further umleitung earlier caused us to stop in the right hand lane of traffic lights but they let the left hand lane go ..... To Edeka. WESTY66 has been pretty dam good so far so we thought we would try it out if only for banter points. Unfortunately he was tight. We will be back. We couldn't find the tinned herring but far greater choice and lidls cheap. Down side was a clothes section but my distraction techniques worked a treat just as she started perusing. And we bought our first cake and a tomato looking thing that begins with a Z. Anyone any ideas what we do with it ?
17194276607249007928516331354244.jpg

Here's Friedrichschafen

Journal entry 'Friedrichschafen' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/friedrichschafen.525/

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The bike is up and running. 2 new tyres and the cost of having to throw ours away and a man to take the wheels off and on (no tools and dodgy back) left us 200 euros lighter and we had to pay cash after credit debit cards and bank transfer caused us angst.

It was at this stage while we waited for 2 hours for the whole transaction that our on the hoof planning brought us to just north of friedrichschafen.
We decided to abandon the Alpenstraße (sorry CamperManLez ) for various accumulative reasons.

We did rejoin the Alpenstraße when our Umleitung took us onto it only to be met with an Alpenstraße umleitung within 3 KMs of Lindau. Rotten traffic jam caused us 20 minutes on the 2nd one and probably 20 minutes on the first one. Hoping we have seen the end of them but fearing the worst.

While I m here where is what is the place Messe ? Is it another town like Ausfahrt which doesn't appear on maps ?

A further umleitung earlier caused us to stop in the right hand lane of traffic lights but they let the left hand lane go ..... To Edeka. WESTY66 has been pretty dam good so far so we thought we would try it out if only for banter points. Unfortunately he was tight. We will be back. We couldn't find the tinned herring but far greater choice and lidls cheap. Down side was a clothes section but my distraction techniques worked a treat just as she started perusing. And we bought our first cake and a tomato looking thing that begins with a Z. Anyone any ideas what we do with it ?View attachment 915587

Here's Friedrichschafen

Journal entry 'Friedrichschafen' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/friedrichschafen.525/
You will love the Edeka🥰🥰
Rothenburg ob der Tauber and dinkelsbuhl P2 are not to be missed😄😄

Messe I think is like the Arenas back in the U.K. and the parking areas attached to them👍👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You will love the Edeka🥰🥰
Rothenburg ob der Tauber and dinkelsbuhl P2 are not to be missed😄😄
SHE will love the Edeka if she can lose me for 5 minutes !

Done those 2, Moselle, vennbahn, most of volcanic route (we like that one lots, possibly because of a brewery stopover)

I think Germany are playing Switzerland on Saturday so a border town could be a good or bad move !

Want to do Rhine Falls, possibly Saturday, from a stell in Germany then we have 10 days to cross over to Alsace where I want to do the route des cretes there as it's the only one we haven't done. I fancy a bit of Saal as well. Quite happy to leave it to Luxembourg as last place before a Bergues/Gravelines last night before early ferry.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A quadruple entry today. Lindau and a couple for Bregenz.

We were off on our motorbike today trying to follow the lake round clockwise from Friedrichschafen and this was the first place that took our eye.
Pleasant local market saw us purchase a couple of jars of honey at 6 euros each which is very... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/langernargen-bodensee.526/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Number 2 and 2 to go

Lindau

We knew we would be aiming here but I wasn't expecting it to be an island.
I had noticed an island on the map and thought we would go take a look. It was only when we got there that realisation that we should follow signs for Lindau Insel.
This... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/lindau-bodensee.527/

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Number 2 and 2 to go

Lindau

We knew we would be aiming here but I wasn't expecting it to be an island.
I had noticed an island on the map and thought we would go take a look. It was only when we got there that realisation that we should follow signs for Lindau Insel.
This... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/lindau-bodensee.527/
Lovely place 👍👍👍
Very expensive tho😁😁
No good for the likes of you Jon😁😁

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Number 3

The research we did includes typing Bregenz into the search engine of mhf. I d never heard of this place however it first came to my attention when Orion went opera watching. Stealaway also praised the town and bobnick gave it a good old thumbs up so I thank them for their previous postings.

This journal entry should be read in conjunction with next one which will be along in 10 minutes if she gets me another cold beer.

We did some mhf word searching on this place prior to going and although only a few people have been 3 in particular blew it's trumpet ..... And rightly so.

First up is the opera in the middle of the lake. Opera is not my thing and neither are... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/bregenz-bodensee.528/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09