S5 or S7 Tracker which (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
New Motorhome in 2 weeks time , need Tracker with Subscription for Insurance, advice on which one S5 or S7 and make , and if possible cost of kit fitted ,and 12 months subscription would be very much appreciated,
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
S5 will be more future proof some insurance companies are insisting on S5.
Have a look at rewire Security their prices are very compeditive.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
S5 will be more future proof some insurance companies are insisting on S5.
Have a look at rewire Security their prices are very compeditive.
I've not used it yet obviously but our tracker has been fitted on new van and the app and features look good so far, it's a scorpion track vts5 +

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Pending Purchase
I'm also looking at this right now for an impending van purchase and was pondering S5 or S7 too. I want a combined alarm / tracker system that is Thatcham certified and meets insurer requirements. I eventually shortlisted the Moving Intelligence Sentinel product / service which comes in 3 models:
  • Sentinel S7: £799 - Thatcham approved alarm and tracking via subscription
  • Sentinel S5: £1,099 - As S7 plus Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR) via a key fob
  • Sentinel S5+: £1,199 - As S5 plus immobilisation
Subscription is £149 for 1 year or £499 for lifetime.

If you don't need/want the alarm then they also do a tracker only (iTrack) along similar S7 S5, S5+ lines (£249, £499, £599 respectively) which have subscriptions costs of £149 for 1 year or £399 lifetime.

I went with the Sentinel S7 after much research. It meets my insurer requirements (Comfort) and I think it offers enough security - the alarm is a deterrent in itself and, if triggered, the tracking control centre immediately contacts the owner to check. The benefit of S5 is to protect against key theft - if someone steals your keys and drives off but without the ADR fob, the control centre will flag it as stolen and try to contact you. Personally, carrying the van key plus the Sentinel alarm fob is quite enough for me. Having yet another separate ADR fob to remember and carry around is not something I want to do. I bet many people just stick it on their key ring which of course defeats the object entirely :LOL: (and probably renders their insurance invalid). I'll focus on keeping my keys safe.

I also recognise that insurance requirements may get stricter in future years ie. whereas now S7 is accepted, perhaps in future only S5 will be. So I checked with Moving Intelligence and they confirmed that if I bought S7 today, I could upgrade to S5 or S5+ later for £300 or £400 respectively.

So, S7 it is for me at the moment. Still an expensive purchase and one that adds a decent level of security.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
You might find this recent thread helpful:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun