Rally Chat Route planning A14? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Not really to do with rallies, wasn't sure where to post this. Just wanted any advice from locals as to whether the A14 is a decent route to use between M1 and A1, or to be avoided? TIA>

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The A14 generally flows well. You do get an issue with lorries overtaking other lorries and taking miles to get the overtake done but that is the same on any dual carriageway road.

I am not sure what time you would be looking to use the A14 but be aware that it gets busy around Jct 7 (Kettering) at rush hour periods.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
depending on where youre travelling from (Bury?) it might be better to pick up the A1 a lot earlier? we drive to Stockport quite often and pick up the A1 either straight off the M18 or Worksop. Sheffield can be a pain with traffic though, so if you can avoid the centre then do so, using Woodhead as opposed to the Snake Pass, then picking up the M1 at Tankersley is a good option, then either the M18 or Worksop to the A1.
You will drive right past Brownhills Motorhomes using the A1 - nice to break the journey with a free cup of coffee from their vending machines as you peruse their motorhomes or shop ! You could also pick up LPG from the pump, albeit quite a bit dearer than other suppliers.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
depending on where youre travelling from (Bury?) it might be better to pick up the A1 a lot earlier? we drive to Stockport quite often and pick up the A1 either straight off the M18 or Worksop. Sheffield can be a pain with traffic though, so if you can avoid the centre then do so, using Woodhead as opposed to the Snake Pass, then picking up the M1 at Tankersley is a good option, then either the M18 or Worksop to the A1.
You will drive right past Brownhills Motorhomes using the A1 - nice to break the journey with a free cup of coffee from their vending machines as you peruse their motorhomes or shop ! You could also pick up LPG from the pump, albeit quite a bit dearer than other suppliers.
Sounds good. The only problem I can see is that if we stop off at Brownhills we may end up buying another moho.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Not really to do with rallies, wasn't sure where to post this. Just wanted any advice from locals as to whether the A14 is a decent route to use between M1 and A1, or to be avoided? TIA>
Put it into Google Maps. Set the time and date you expect to travel. It'll give you an idea of congestion and viable alternatives.

Personally I'm not one of those people that avoids congestion at all costs. I'll reroute if there's a good certainty that it'll save me time. But often it's still quicker to get caught in a bit of traffic than go lots of extra distance along narrower roads just to avoid the queues. I know lots of people don't share my view.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I agree with the use M18 to A1 suggestion, it's a better route southbound at moment with less congestion. We drive suffolk to Leeds regularly in both directions and it's quite smooth unless you going near the roadworks at Newmarket due to flooding and near Stowmarket if you going to coast (both of these are a nightmare if it rains in former case, and at all times at peak hours for latter). Usually a 15 min delay for latter at peak times, anything from 10 mins to 2 hours on former Newmarket flooding depending on how bad it is. If weather is good you good in summary, if bad, it may be down to single lane running in a busy 3 lane seciotn.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
A1 to M1 via A14 generally flows well. There are rebuilding a length in Suffolk that is causing lots of holdups. but that's a long way from either the A1 and M1.

Another alternative a little further south is the MK/Bedford junction then the A412 to Black Cat on the A1.

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A1 to M1 via A14 generally flows well. There are rebuilding a length in Suffolk that is causing lots of holdups. but that's a long way from either the A1 and M1.

Another alternative a little further south is the MK/Bedford junction then the A412 to Black Cat on the A1.
The Black Cat roundabout is often busy with queues, even in non peak hour times. It might be best avoided at the moment, as they have finally started work on the link road through to the A428, which will bypass St Neots, if coming from Bedford through to Cambridge.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
100% avoid Black Cat we got stuck there for 15 mins the other weekend en-route to a campsite at a Marina (Grove Lock) ... It's about the only really bad bit of the A1 since all the other roundabouts (to the North) have been removed now.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
Missed the A14 out yesterday en route to Harwich from the north went down to the A120 instead 20 miles shorter than Google said and quicker.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The A14 is subject to night closures, check with the highways website

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun