Route advice ? Basel - Luzern - Lugano - Como (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
More or less decided on this transit route through Switzerland but would like some 'fun' recommendations for places to see (not to be missed) and places to stop either excellent sites or Aires.
Mid to late April if it makes any difference.
Intend to wiz down to the Swiss border then take a few days to cross to Italy.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Lucerne is a lovely city, worth a couple of days. There used to be a good aire at the Marina overlooking the lake and next to a park with a beach onto the lake where you could swim from, but someone told the aire had shut :( I'm sure there will be other options in the area.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I was going to recommend a little diversion up to Lauterbrunnen, a fabulous valley with mountain trips. However April is a little early, we were snowed in there in late May.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was going to recommend a little diversion up to Lauterbrunnen, a fabulous valley with mountain trips. However April is a little early, we were snowed in there in late May.
I was in Lauterbrunnen in May and it resembled Wales, cloud at about 500' and constant drizzle :(
Sadly it is also an expensive place to hang around waiting for the weather to clear, so after two days we had to move on south so never did get to see those magnificent mountain views.
On the upside, you can download an app, point your smartphone camera and you can photograph what you would be seeing if it was a beautiful clear day :rofl:

Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
We did a very similar trip end of last summer, we stopped at some very nice villages in the Alsace including Eguishiem where there's an Aire in the centre and Ribeaville with Aire 10min walk away. We stopped at Camping International Luzern. It was busy but right by the lake with a lovely promenade to walk into town. We also did the boat trip there which then takes you to the worlds steepest cog railway up Mt Pilatus. Caught the boat right outside the campsite.Well worth a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thanks to those who responded.
Was expecting to be inundated with responses but I guess the cost associated with swiss stopovers are not embraced by our careful funsters community.

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks to those who responded.
Was expecting to be inundated with responses but I guess the cost associated with swiss stopovers are not embraced by our careful funsters community.
We did your proposed trip in reverse in October, came up from Italy, into Switzerland at Lugano, over the St Gottard and then stayed in Lucerne . Have to be honest and say, that although it is such a beautiful country we got back into Germany quickly as it was so very expensive. We stayed on Camping Lido in Lucerne which was v good , easy walk into the town but about £50 a night. Lugano we stayed at Camping Lugano Lake, also about £50 a night, a short tram ride into the town, but we were not impressed with the campsite, v expensive for what was quite a noisy, over crowded site.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
*********head line news************ Switzerland is now cheap vs the UK - well almost 😂

For Basel i would recommend the auto museum just before in Mulhouse, roughly 30mins before you get to Basel on your way down.

For Lucerne i can suggest a trip up Pilatus, nice cable car ride and some fabulous restaurants in the town itself

Lugano ??? Personally we much prefer Locarno, much nicer feel and great antiques market once a week. A bit more touristy in some ways but in a good way. Some great sites there as well.

Then if you go via Locarno then maybe on to Maggiore before Como, at least you’d have to drive along it.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Have you set off yet? We’re planning the same route at the end of the month and hoping for a couple of days near Lucerne. Assume the roads are clear of any snow and ice? We’re heading Lake Maggiore.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Tunnel tomorrow then wizz down to swiss border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Lucerne is a lovely city, worth a couple of days. There used to be a good aire at the Marina overlooking the lake and next to a park with a beach onto the lake where you could swim from, but someone told the aire had shut :( I'm sure there will be other options in the area.
I've been on a camp site overlooking the lake at Lucerne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back