Rally Chat Roundhill New forest, possible rally? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A few weeks ago we camped on this camping in the forest site. It's a very large area, I think it can take hundreds of vans. It's not over regimented, lots of cows and ponies etc wandering about. There's a very good rally field, tucked away from the main area. It's quiet and surrounded by trees. The new owners who took over from c&cc, are quite keen to see it being used, and would be happy to talk. The site manager is an ex Funster, Guy. I have his email. I am not an organiser, but would like to attend such meet. I asked what sort of per van costings, he swerved and was suggesting extra facilities such as marquee. There is a nice group meeting area with seating around a central point. Controlled BBQ is possible. I was imagining it following Topsham. Capacity 35 vans, all with wide spacing, 3 to 8 metres. I thought it worth floating the idea. Location close to Beaulieu.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Many of us love the New Forrest sites, we haven't been to The Roundhill site as yet, but it wouldn't matter so much which one it was, if The Funsters are attending it will always be a great venue.
I am not sure of dates to suggest, thats always a tricky one, but I would say it will be of interest to many of us.
Thanks for posting this great idea, hope it all comes together.(y)
Les & TinaL

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
A few weeks ago we camped on this camping in the forest site. It's a very large area, I think it can take hundreds of vans. It's not over regimented, lots of cows and ponies etc wandering about. There's a very good rally field, tucked away from the main area. It's quiet and surrounded by trees. The new owners who took over from c&cc, are quite keen to see it being used, and would be happy to talk. The site manager is an ex Funster, Guy. I have his email. I am not an organiser, but would like to attend such meet. I asked what sort of per van costings, he swerved and was suggesting extra facilities such as marquee. There is a nice group meeting area with seating around a central point. Controlled BBQ is possible. I was imagining it following Topsham. Capacity 35 vans, all with wide spacing, 3 to 8 metres. I thought it worth floating the idea. Location close to Beaulieu.
For info Topsham Rally by petenshirley isn't going ahead in 2024 but may be a possibility in 2025. A New Forest Rally should be a popular option if anyone decides to run it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We've stayed there twice this year, and love it, we would be very interested.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
TheBig1 organises C&CC rallies there he will have the info.

Great area we were there in June.
Thanks Lenny, yes I do. However the required process for booking sites for rallies in the New Forest National Park, means that we have to book next year's rallies in the park by May the 1st this year. This then goes to the National Park and the local council for approval. Despite putting in requests early does not mean we get an answer or approval by January next year

The camping in the forest sites formerly run by the camping & caravanning club are now run by the new forest show organisers, based at New Park Farm Brockenhurst

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Roundhill is massive, would we need to book anything official?
If 50 vans turned up, I'm sure we could all meet up there?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Roundhill is massive, would we need to book anything official?
If 50 vans turned up, I'm sure we could all meet up there?
You absolutely would have to book a rally and not just turn up

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
At the very least, it's a very big site to find someone as I found out. So we would all be together if we had the rally field. The odd 10 or 20 could probably just turn up, and take pot luck, and could get a space near the said field.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Roundhill is big, I think 400+ pitches. Couple of miles from Brockenhurst but otherwise is as most of the forest sites a bit out of the way. Great for walking and cycling. No hook up. This year they had portaloo type toilets and may have showers too next year but only 3 block for those numbers mean they get overused.

Pitching is a free for all so even if a group turned up unless as a formal rally with reserved area you wouldn't get everyone together. Plus whilst you do get family groups larger parties would have issues from disturbance of others.

Not sure of the formal rally rules but new forest has environment restrictions. No doubt even on established campsites rally are subject to the extra protection rules.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back