Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Artificial intelligence is changing the way many people work

Chat GPT and Bard are developing rapidly. It's scary and fascinating seeing how much they can do.

Those in the media industries are seeing how their jobs are at risk from keyboard users... But also seeing new opportunities

How will AI impact your life?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I’m reading “Superintelligence” by Nick Bostrom. Really hard going, but interesting and scary in equal measure.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've got it on my Samsung S24 and it's good for searching stuff.
I've used it on PCs for creating content such as combined images of two different animals. What used to take an hour or so on Photoshop can be done in seconds using AI.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
More scary, IMO, than anything else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have Adobe Lightroom on my tablet and it now has a feature which it says uses AI to edit an image.

In the first photo below there's a leaflets little tree in the centre of the image.

PXL_20240520_095523556.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

With a stylus I drew a line around this and the AI removed it. Quick and clever. :)

PXL_20240520_095523556.RAW-01.COVER~4 (2).jpg

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have Adobe Lightroom on my tablet and it now has a feature which it says uses AI to edit an image.

In the first photo below there's a leaflets little tree in the centre of the image.

View attachment 922109

With a stylus I drew a line around this and the AI removed it. Quick and clever. :)

View attachment 922111
More and more phones have similar things for their cameras... I was with a friend who took a picture of a building and it contained a tourist with a bright shirt on. With two swipes of her finger, the tourist was removed from the picture. I was amazed.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I do wonder how much stuff that is advertised as AI actually is.

Having worked in IT for decades I’ve seen the hype about new technology before and it turns out some of it is smoke and mirrors. Don’t get me wrong, AI is being used in some places but I’m not convinced true ‘AI’ is being used everywhere where it’s claimed to be.

It does concern me that AI will lead to “computer says no” on steroids.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My experience of AI (and yes I pay for an openAI subscription)
It is great until it isn't. Then it is a tricky bugger because it will make up stuff and be EXTREMELY convincing.
This is tripping up programmer, lawyers and engineers who come to trust it and miss the hallucinations with bad results.

My view is. AI will be a tool used by people to achieve what could already be achieved. It may make some tasks easier and quicker. But it will not put many people out of work.

For instance, I have tried to get an AI image generator to generate an image for me with a fairly specific requirement and I just couldn't get it to do a convincing job. It was either not what I asked for exactly but really good, or exactly what I asked for but seriously flawed. I suspect this will improve over time but it will never be perfect. Good Graphics artist should not fear for their livelihood just yet.

Music is a potentially easier target though. For that I think AI will have bigger impacts. BUT it will result in even narrow styles of music than we have now.
The sucessful songs will be used to train the AI, which will result in more successful songs which will be used to train AI. Remember the Stock Aitkin and Waterman hit factory? It will be like that but worse.
I think we have already headed down that route with the analysis the big music companies do of hits.

For me. I use AI to do the boilerplate stuff, the grunt work that would take me a while but little skill to complete. I then come in and do the clever stuff and the security related stuff. I really do not trust AI on the security front.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For me. I use AI to do the boilerplate stuff, the grunt work that would take me a while but little skill to complete. I then come in and do the clever stuff and the security related stuff.
Nothing new really
Was at the National Gallery yesterday - and it was usual practice for the "Grand Masters" to use their students to do the majority of a commissioned painting and then to do the fiddly or difficult bit themselves.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My biggest problem is the name AI. It is not Intelligence in any definition of the word I would use. I much prefer the term machine learning (ML)
The machines are taught very specific skills. They cannot then apply this skill anywhere else or if it does only very,very closely related task.
AI imbues it with a sense of something that just isn't there. Calling it ML keeps it clear that it is not intelligent just a machine that has been taught a single task.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I do wonder how much stuff that is advertised as AI actually is.

Having worked in IT for decades I’ve seen the hype about new technology before and it turns out some of it is smoke and mirrors. Don’t get me wrong, AI is being used in some places but I’m not convinced true ‘AI’ is being used everywhere where it’s claimed to be.

It does concern me that AI will lead to “computer says no” on steroids.
AI has been used for decades for pattern matching and for complex control systems. They are genuinely useful. Generative AI is a new technique that's only really possible because we're prepared to throw massive compute resources at it. Each query is massively expensive to run, but companies are taking the loss, speculating they'll win the race to profit. Personally I think it'll follow the usual hype curve. Uses will be niche, interest will die off. Then over the next few years, it'll slowly filter into everyday uses as the cost drops.

I want to run an AI engine so I can improve the voice responses on my home automation system. But to run the chatbot locally, I need a fairly beefy pc with a +£600 graphics card to make it reasonably responsive. The technology isn't there yet.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is is actually AI when companies advertise
"Unlock a world of possibilities with Galaxy AI & discover how to use AI features like Circle To Search & Live Translate on Samsung devices."
...or something much more basic
Yes. It's not using an algorithm with defined maths. It's using layers of matrices that have had their weights created through training. So it is AI.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Yes. It's not using an algorithm with defined maths. It's using layers of matrices that have had their weights created through training. So it is AI.
So by that definition, it's not AI.
AI wouldn't need training, it would be able to come up with things intuitively.
All this current stuff is machine learning. Actual intelligence is a long way off and is scary because it won't rely on our rules.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So by that definition, it's not AI.
AI wouldn't need training, it would be able to come up with things intuitively.
All this current stuff is machine learning. Actual intelligence is a long way off and is scary because it won't rely on our rules.
It's "intelligent" because it can do things beyond what it has been taught by infering patterns based on similar things. Like removing the tourist from the photo. It's smart enough to guess which thing you want removed. And based on similar photos, it'll replace those pixels with something that looks like what was probably behind. It's very hard to make a generalised algorithm to do the same job. But trained networks figure it out on their own. Once the network has been trained (which is the hugely intensive bit), the network becomes frozen, it doesn't learn each time it's used. But it is using the intelligence it learned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back