Right lads and lassies I am now all electric . (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's your fridge? 3-way with gas or compressor with electric only?

If it's 3-way then keep it running on gas when parked up, as it will soon flatten the EcoFlow on 240v.

It is something I've considered, so we can use kettle, remoska etc off grid, just limited to space.
Got a 12 volt compressor fridge so it doesn't make any difference to this set up as it runs direct off the habitation batteries.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
There is an 800w dc to dc converter that's come out fairly recently from ecoflow, a lot better than the ciggy lighter, an hour or 2 of driving will fill-in from pretty much flat.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I really do not understand your logic. So you spend good money on a anker, to plug it in EHU: that’s dc converted to AC sent to the van and then the van takes the AC via charger, back to dc to feed to 12v. Double conversion, for 1000hw out of anker = 600-700wh to your 12v loads.
I would take that good money, and invest it in leisure battery and feed the loads directly 1:1, and have change for some wine.
Treat the cause not the symptom.
It's a temporary solution to a temporary issue.
I'm well aware of the inefficiency of doing this.
For personal reasons I've not been using my van this year.
My only trip is to Lyndon Top tomorrow.
My leisure batteries have died and will be replaced next month whilst I have other work done.

I already have the Powerbank, this simply is another proof of the usefulness & flexibility of these units.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Compared to the installed system in a Motorhome these power stations probably aren’t as good overall. However for people who use cars / small vans as occasional campers they look like a great option especially in providing temporary power.

Weight wise, how much does an installed system weigh if you included all the components such as chargers, inverters, batteries, solar panels, fuse boards etc?
After spending weeks wiring in my victron system i can definately see the appeal of these all in one so to speak. At the Norfolk show i looked at one make claiming with 2000w constant running pre order £899 instead of £1199 after stock arives in november. He said you can add ANY batteries to it with a link lead and showed me the plug it looked like 2-4mm
even my 460ah its at that point i walked away

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
After spending weeks wiring in my victron system i can definately see the appeal of these all in one so to speak. At the Norfolk show i looked at one make claiming with 2000w constant running pre order £899 instead of £1199 after stock arives in november. He said you can add ANY batteries to it with a link lead and showed me the plug it looked like 2-4mm
even my 460ah its at that point i walked away
i cant see the point in the vendors trying to promote scaling up one of these units - the selling point is its an all in one box. Once you start expanding it, a proper installation makes more sense.
A lot of van life vloggers promoted these units a while ago but most seem to have stopped mentioning them. The Camper Vibe ladies have recently mentioned their unit as a useful power source whilst working on renovating their cottage but it seems to be an add on to their main van system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
i cant see the point in the vendors trying to promote scaling up one of these units - the selling point is its an all in one box. Once you start expanding it, a proper installation makes more sense.

Indeed, I can never understand their popularity when you bear in mind that they need a means to charge them and so many end up buying portable solar panels too. Where do the store these boxes/panels in what is usually a small van? 🤷‍♂️

I find it ironic that their vans already have an onboard (in built) charging system (via the alternator) and often with solar panels already installed on the roof of their van yet these are not utilised.🤷‍♂️

Ian

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Indeed, I can never understand their popularity when you bear in mind that they need a means to charge them and so many end up buying portable solar panels too. Where do the store these boxes/panels in what is usually a small van? 🤷‍♂️

I find it ironic that their vans already have an onboard (in built) charging system (via the alternator) and often with solar panels already installed on the roof of their van yet these are not utilised.🤷‍♂️

Ian
I already have the solar panels on the roof and all the electric I need, and all the batteries are full by 10 o clock, that is the point, I want to find something with the electric that's going to waste all the rest of the day , hopefully I will find a need for the electric stored in this thing somewhere else on the farm.
But in the meantime it supplies the whole van with mains electricity for free and does this way better than I ever expected.
If I had bought another battery and all the other gubbins to go with it, there is no way I could take it out and use the electric somewhere else.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I already have the solar panels on the roof and all the electric I need, and all the batteries are full by 10 o clock, that is the point, I want to find something with the electric that's going to waste all the rest of the day , hopefully I will find a need for the electric stored in this thing somewhere else on the farm.
But in the meantime it supplies the whole van with mains electricity for free and does this way better than I ever expected.
If I had bought another battery and all the other gubbins to go with it, there is no way I could take it out and use the electric somewhere else.

Yes, your situation is a little different Charlie. You’re intended usage doesn’t reflect that of the typical buyer of these boxes.👍

Ian

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ecoflow delta can be controlled from your phone via the app. My delta lives in the garage connected to mains and 12v.
I have today took the window out of the bulkhead so can now get to both switches so now it's all systems go, jobs a good un 👍 👍 👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I am amazed that so many people don't know about these things, they have been all the rage lately, either people saying they are rubbish or others saying they are the bees knees and now so many folks don't know what I am on about :unsure:

I know what they and other similar devices are, however for me I do not see what difference it is to what I already have in my van. I have batteries and an inverter. That's an ecoflow. I also have solar panels and a charger that chargers the batteries off the vehicle engine. What does an eco flow add to this?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know what they and other similar devices are, however for me I do not see what difference it is to what I already have in my van. I have batteries and an inverter. That's an ecoflow. I also have solar panels and a charger that chargers the batteries off the vehicle engine. What does an eco flow add to this?
If your electric goes off in the house can you bring your electric into the house?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If your electric goes off in the house can you bring your electric into the house?
I can, just pull a wire trough the van window or door, into the outside wall socket or garage, or terrace. And I can run the house normally for a couple of days from the van.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can, just pull a wire trough the van window or door, into the outside wall socket or garage, or terrace. And I can run the house normally for a couple of days from the van.
Ok I don't want a argument about it, just telling you what I have done.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
As you all may know I purchased a ecoflo delta two in the Amazon prime sale, I have now installed it in the van, probably get castigated for this but I have switched the charger off and connected this thing into the hook up plug, and connected it to the fag lighter socket (Inthis ambulance there is two fag lighter one says 20 amps on it) so hooked up to this one but it's only charging at 8 amps but at the moment the solar is keeping them all charged.
Now this ecoflo is certainly something, it even runs my carver2 water heater, sockets all work , in fact it will run the whole caboodle, not all at once obviously, don't know how long it will last or how everything will work but at the moment can't fault it.
Now all of you tell me where I have gone wrong, and please do as I am only in the first day with it.
The one problem I have and it's not the machines fault but I have got it fixed between the front seats where I can't get at it from the back because of the bulkhead and every time I want to use it I have to go in the front to switch it on.
Any tips.?
Trade it for the Delta Max as you can switch it from your phone.. I have done this and now I have double battery and wifi switchability. Brilliant. You can store it in the boot and switch on and off as needed.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Unless you live in a remote area power cuts are rare...

Fridge will stay cool and I could just move in the MH and survive on 12v and gas

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Trade it for the Delta Max as you can switch it from your phone.. I have done this and now I have double battery and wifi switchability. Brilliant. You can store it in the boot and switch on and off as needed.
According to the blurb these are supposed to do that but haven't discovered it yet but it's not a big problem as I can switch it from the hab now.
I am very happy with it as it is now.
Just hope it doesn't go wrong.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is an 800w dc to dc converter that's come out fairly recently from ecoflow, a lot better than the ciggy lighter, an hour or 2 of driving will fill-in from pretty much flat.
This device sorts out what I think is a major drawback of these all-in-one power stations. The 'alternator charger' is what people on here call a Battery-to-Battery (B2B) charger. At 800 watts, that's equivalent to 67A at 12V, so reasonable powerful. So it will now charge up in a couple of hours of driving, rather than the 10 to 12 hours it otherwise would take.

I think buying one of these power stations just to use in a motorhome is not really cost-effective, but if you already have one, it's a good thing to take along on your travels.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What evidence do you have for that statement ?

Charlie has stated that he wants to use excess (wasted) solar charge from his vehicle to charge the box to use elsewhere. Most users want to use the energy in the box while using their van and are then faced with the issue of how to get it charged back up.

Charlie’s usage is clearly quite different from the norm.

Ian

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Saw this on Amazon £599.
Yeah that's the one that got me interested in something that was three times that a couple of months ago but someone who I'm afraid I have forgotten his name came on here and said wait for the Amazon prime day and they will have new ones and lo and behold they had them at £599 so that settled it for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back