Right lads and lassies I am now all electric . (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As you all may know I purchased a ecoflo delta two in the Amazon prime sale, I have now installed it in the van, probably get castigated for this but I have switched the charger off and connected this thing into the hook up plug, and connected it to the fag lighter socket (Inthis ambulance there is two fag lighter one says 20 amps on it) so hooked up to this one but it's only charging at 8 amps but at the moment the solar is keeping them all charged.
Now this ecoflo is certainly something, it even runs my carver2 water heater, sockets all work , in fact it will run the whole caboodle, not all at once obviously, don't know how long it will last or how everything will work but at the moment can't fault it.
Now all of you tell me where I have gone wrong, and please do as I am only in the first day with it.
The one problem I have and it's not the machines fault but I have got it fixed between the front seats where I can't get at it from the back because of the bulkhead and every time I want to use it I have to go in the front to switch it on.
Any tips.?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As you all may know I purchased a ecoflo delta two in the Amazon prime sale, I have now installed it in the van, probably get castigated for this but I have switched the charger off and connected this thing into the hook up plug, and connected it to the fag lighter socket (Inthis ambulance there is two fag lighter one says 20 amps on it) so hooked up to this one but it's only charging at 8 amps but at the moment the solar is keeping them all charged.
Now this ecoflo is certainly something, it even runs my carver2 water heater, sockets all work , in fact it will run the whole caboodle, not all at once obviously, don't know how long it will last or how everything will work but at the moment can't fault it.
Now all of you tell me where I have gone wrong, and please do as I am only in the first day with it.
The one problem I have and it's not the machines fault but I have got it fixed between the front seats where I can't get at it from the back because of the bulkhead and every time I want to use it I have to go in the front to switch it on.
Any tips.?
Will add I have not touched the gas so we can still use either.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No one got any opinions then?
Surely it can't be this simple.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No one got any opinions then?
Surely it can't be this simple.
If nothing has gone bang yet I reckon you are A OK, I would be careful with the water heater as it won’t be a massive capacity battery in there, just keep an eye on the state of charge and you will soon get the hang of what you can and can’t do with it👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fit a 'hatch' in the bulkhead so you can stick your hand through ... something like this maybe? When we had our PVCs I fitted one so I could access the gas cylinder valves to save having to unload half the stuff out of the underbed area to open the gas locker door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I would love to give advice, in order to help you, chaser , but I couldn’t understand a word of your post!😉

I don’t even know what an eco flow delta 2 is! I thought eco flow was an air inducing shower head.

Ah well, every day is a school day.🙂

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You can use the app on multiple devices (assuming you hvae a van wifi system) and use all of them to turn on/off the ac, saving you from needing to reach for the power switch.
If something is using DC all the time it won't ever turn off, we have a small device connected (a mesh radio) using usb that uses 1w, which makes the device never go into standby when we are in the van.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If nothing has gone bang yet I reckon you are A OK, I would be careful with the water heater as it won’t be a massive capacity battery in there, just keep an eye on the state of charge and you will soon get the hang of what you can and can’t do with it👍
Well according to the LCD panel the water heater only takes 900 w I was expecting at least 2000.
But in practice I suppose we will still use gas for that so we can have the kettle on at the same time.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had to look up what the Ecoflow Delta was and on Ecoflows own Google listing they give the weight as that of a medium sized dog !!
:rofl:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Any tips.?

According to the Ecoflow website you have a 1kWh battery (83Ah).

Your 900W element will draw close to 90A when it’s operating. On that basis, your ecoflow will last approximately 45 minutes before it’s protection circuits kick in.

Ian

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am amazed that so many people don't know about these things, they have been all the rage lately, either people saying they are rubbish or others saying they are the bees knees and now so many folks don't know what I am on about :unsure:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Tomorrow you may have to go on hook up to charge it up.
Let us all know how your solar does. (y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tomorrow you may have to go on hook up to charge it up.
Let us all know how your solar does. (y)
Agree with you mate, I am just starting out with it, I have two 100w panels on the roof and today admittedly very sunny but they have charged the delta and kept 3 other lead batterys charged to full.
The plan at the start was to use ccp parks to charge it up and then free Aires all electric.
But it seems to be better than that.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We would be interested to see how well it charges up with your solar. My son has one and he reckons it does about everything he wants to connect to and charges up reasonably quicky

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We would be interested to see how well it charges up with your solar. My son has one and he reckons it does about everything he wants to connect to and charges up reasonably quicky
Can't really help you at the moment as we are at home and not really using anything but amazed at what it will run.
I have ordered a low wattage kettle and toaster and will see how it gets on with them but in reality we will use a combination of gas and electricity but it's nice to know it will do it if needed.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Compared to the installed system in a Motorhome these power stations probably aren’t as good overall. However for people who use cars / small vans as occasional campers they look like a great option especially in providing temporary power.

Weight wise, how much does an installed system weigh if you included all the components such as chargers, inverters, batteries, solar panels, fuse boards etc?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The only reminder, I would add, is not to leave the internal inverter switched on when you're not using it as it [slowly] drains the battery.

I don't know if you've read my battery woes - at the moment, I have no leisure batteries, so no 12v
But if I use my Anker powerbank as a pseudo EHU, I do have 12v which is needed to power the fridge & water heater control panels, even when using gas.
In testing, leaving the inverter on, it lasted nearly 3 days

I'm going to DavidG58 Lyndon Top meet on Thursday - it's only about 30mins from home

My plan is to use the Anker 757 as de-facto EHU to give me 12v
Switching it off at bedtime - I'm hoping the fridge will stay cool - to extend battery life
And deploy a 300w portable solar panel to further extend the powerbank's life.

We shall see

*Does anyone know if the fridge will stay lit even if there's no power to the control panel?
I imagine not. Presumably there's a safety device to shutoff the gas if the flame goes out?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am amazed that so many people don't know about these things, they have been all the rage lately, either people saying they are rubbish or others saying they are the bees knees and now so many folks don't know what I am on about :unsure:
The thing is Chaser you need to somehow work out why there aren't many replies ... is it because we don't know about the item or we just don't understand how you are explaining it! :LOL:

Reactions: DJT
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Well according to the LCD panel the water heater only takes 900 w I was expecting at least 2000.
But in practice I suppose we will still use gas for that so we can have the kettle on at the same time.
Carver is same as propex, and I have a propex gas and electric. The element is 750w and my inverter eats about 820w ish out of the battery to feed that element. That means, the inverter is 90-91% efficient on that load. Check your carver’s data sheet spec, and see the element wattage, then we can calculate the efficiency of that inverter out the ecoflow box. I have a feeling your element is 750-800w max, the rest is the inverter conversion.
In my opinion they may be ok for somebody that has limited knowledge to wire a inverter and some sockets in a box. In reality you can get much better by building your own portable box if you wish to keep it mobile, or have a need for it.
In a van I prefer to have it all built in.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The only reminder, I would add, is not to leave the internal inverter switched on when you're not using it as it [slowly] drains the battery.

I don't know if you've read my battery woes - at the moment, I have no leisure batteries, so no 12v
But if I use my Anker powerbank as a pseudo EHU, I do have 12v which is needed to power the fridge & water heater control panels, even when using gas.
In testing, leaving the inverter on, it lasted nearly 3 days

I'm going to DavidG58 Lyndon Top meet on Thursday - it's only about 30mins from home

My plan is to use the Anker 757 as de-facto EHU to give me 12v
Switching it off at bedtime - I'm hoping the fridge will stay cool - to extend battery life
And deploy a 300w portable solar panel to further extend the powerbank's life.

We shall see

*Does anyone know if the fridge will stay lit even if there's no power to the control panel?
I imagine not. Presumably there's a safety device to shutoff the gas if the flame goes out?

I really do not understand your logic. So you spend good money on a anker, to plug it in EHU: that’s dc converted to AC sent to the van and then the van takes the AC via charger, back to dc to feed to 12v. Double conversion, for 1000hw out of anker = 600-700wh to your 12v loads.
I would take that good money, and invest it in leisure battery and feed the loads directly 1:1, and have change for some wine.
Treat the cause not the symptom.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can’t give you any advice coz I don’t know nuffink about this new fangled leccie mullarkey. You could ask Lenny HB coz he is clever

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
The thing is Chaser you need to somehow work out why there aren't many replies ... is it because we don't know about the item or we just don't understand how you are explaining it! :LOL:
A bit like the water meter post!!! I haven’t a scoobie!
Probably just me 😊😊😊
DJT

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry if I haven't explained it very well, it seems simple enough to me , basically, plonk this thing down , connect it to your faglighter with one wire, connect it to your ehu plug with another and you have self contained mains electricity.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
What's your fridge? 3-way with gas or compressor with electric only?

If it's 3-way then keep it running on gas when parked up, as it will soon flatten the EcoFlow on 240v.

It is something I've considered, so we can use kettle, remoska etc off grid, just limited to space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back