Revolut?Is it free to withdraw Euros in France? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Hi.Could any Revolut users please advised the best way to withdraw your Euros when in France.Best days to avoid?Thank you.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
You'll prob'ly have to pay the ATM owner for the privilege of using their machine.
Make one cash withdrawl of €x00, stuff it under the mattress for emergencies and pay for everything using your card ... (having first created a € balance on the card)

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi.Could any Revolut users please advised the best way to withdraw your Euros when in France.Best days to avoid?Thank you.
Avoid ATMs that charge a fee. Always look for an ATM that is at a bank, they tend to be fee free. You can only withdraw 200/300 euros a month, I think but these days you can use contactless for nearly everything.
Revolut will charge you no fee if you already have the euros in your wallet. However, if your money is in sterling wallet then it will charge to exchange and charge more outside banking hours.

So, move your sterling money into euros first and do it in banking hours.
Use an ATM at a bank
Don’t withdraw more than the allowed amount.

In France, I was going around ATM as I passed them getting out 10 or 20 euros at a time. This gave me a stash of small value notes, much better than the 100 euro notes you get if changing money in UK. The app will make you confirm it is you if you go to 2 in one day.

Upvote 1
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Avoid ATMs that charge a fee. Always look for an ATM that is at a bank, they tend to be fee free. You can only withdraw 200/300 euros a month, I think but these days you can use contactless for nearly everything.
Revolut will charge you no fee if you already have the euros in your wallet. However, if your money is in sterling wallet then it will charge to exchange and charge more outside banking hours.

So, move your sterling money into euros first and do it in banking hours.
Use an ATM at a bank
Don’t withdraw more than the allowed amount.

In France, I was going around ATM as I passed them getting out 10 or 20 euros at a time. This gave me a stash of small value notes, much better than the 100 euro notes you get if changing money in UK. The app will make you confirm it is you if you go to 2 in one day.
Is that something new that I’ve missed Annie? I thought that the charges only applied at weekends. I must admit I almost always have plenty of Euros in my wallet but thought that if I’d run out they just converted it at that days rate fee free as normal on weekdays. They certainly used to.

I know with Starling you have to convert pounds to euros but I thought that was because they were completely different accounts with different IBAN numbers whereas Revolut have a single IBAN number.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Is that something new that I’ve missed Annie? I thought that the charges only applied at weekends. I must admit I almost always have plenty of Euros in my wallet but thought that if I’d run out they just converted it at that days rate fee free as normal on weekdays. They certainly used to.

I know with Starling you have to convert pounds to euros but I thought that was because they were completely different accounts with different IBAN numbers whereas Revolut have a single IBAN number.
I think it depends on your plan. On the standard (free) plan I know the money exchange is cheapest in banking hours when you go in and move money yourself. So i assume the same applies if you withdraw or spend cash in euros and there is not enough in the wallet, an exchange has to be made from sterling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Here we go
You'll always see the total cost in-app before you convert, along with the Revolut exchange rate. If the amount you're exchanging is within your plan's fair usage limit, you won't pay any currency exchange fees on weekdays. You'll pay a 1% fee on all currency exchanges during the weekend, no matter what plan you have.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Here we go
You'll always see the total cost in-app before you convert, along with the Revolut exchange rate. If the amount you're exchanging is within your plan's fair usage limit, you won't pay any currency exchange fees on weekdays. You'll pay a 1% fee on all currency exchanges during the weekend, no matter what plan you have.
Obviously we’ve got the standard plan, there’s no way I’d pay for the privilege! There are so many good cards now. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Obviously we’ve got the standard plan, there’s no way I’d pay for the privilege! There are so many good cards now. Thank you.
Talking of revolut, made me check my Fulli account. I still don’t have any activity shown. We went through the apnr gates in Portugal and normal toll gates in both Portugal and Spain. Fulli bipped at the ones with toll gates. Only really worried about the APNR ones where there was no bip.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Talking of revolut, made me check my Fulli account. I still don’t have any activity shown. We went through the apnr gates in Portugal and normal toll gates in both Portugal and Spain. Fulli bipped at the ones with toll gates. Only really worried about the APNR ones where there was no bip.
I know in Italy it took about 6 weeks for anything to show. That’s definitely been the slowest so far. We never made it into Portugal in the end as the weather was so awful so I’m afraid I can’t help you there on timings.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I know in Italy it took about 6 weeks for anything to show. That’s definitely been the slowest so far. We never made it into Portugal in the end as the weather was so awful so I’m afraid I can’t help you there on timings.
Thats a shame, by the time we made it to the coast at Alvor, it was wall to wall sunshine (Easter Monday).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thats a shame, by the time we made it to the coast at Alvor, it was wall to wall sunshine (Easter Monday).
It was going to mean another week of really bad weather for us before it changed and we’d had enough! We didn’t particularly like Cabopino either so couldn’t wait to move once we’d made the decision.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria
I was charged 5 euros when I took cash out from my revolut euro account by credit agricole in France. Not sure what day but it was a credit agricole charge. Bloody annoying as I worked for them for 10 years!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s the atm’s that charge probably not the card but some cards do…

I sweared by Revolut and used it all the time but now I use Chase for everything and I mean everything, no charges, same exchange rates and you get interest and rewards. I hardly pay for anything by cash…🍻😎

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back