reverse sensor broken off , wires too thin to repair (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
One of my reverse sensors fell off ,when the rear bumper was loose I have it and its a 2 wire one but it only has one proper red wire and a really really thin screen for other wire its so thin that as soon as you expose it from the outer plastic sheath it just crumbles . I used to be a prototype wireman in my Young days and i have never seen a cable as fragile as this or so impossible to hold or solder ,,, any ideas

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Are you able to use one of those blocks that just splice into the cable when it’s clicked shut, or something similar, but maybe wrap a bit of insulation tape around it first, to bulk it out 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_3641.jpeg

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I had the same issue with a range rover a few years back with the weather causing the insulation to perish. I run a soldering iron and a wee bit of solder along it to give it a bit of strength. Covered it with heat shrink and used a wago connector to join the two wires. It lasted until I sold the car.

Cheers

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
no the cable was ripped off the sensor so i have to solder it to the 2 pins on the sensor , red cable no problem its the screen its so fine it just flakes to pieces as soon as you strip the outer sheath off .. it cheapo horrible stuff but its what the Fiat loom is made of ... i will persist ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you use something like the clips in #2 to attach a new piece of wire to the old wire and then solder the new wire?

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Can you use something like the clips in #2 to attach a new piece of wire to the old wire and then solder the new wire?
no that wont work it will grab the inner red 1.5mm wire but not the screen i have to expose a few mm of screen in order to solder o to it either way but its so fine its ridiculous ,, 50 years of electronics and i have never seen anything so flimsy or frustrating its like spiders web

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I will have another look tommorow , my new garage build is almost finished , then i will have a proper workshop for the bikes and be able to get at all my tools ,,,and finish off the Ducati 750ss restoration ,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, assuming that the screen wire is connected to other sensors and the wire runs from one to the next, can you just replace the piece between a good sensor, then to the broken one, then to the next?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back