Reverse camera wiring

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Morning all,

I have a 2017 Renault Master Extra High top and wish to install a reversing/rear view camera ( It has one already built into the stereo, but A. Its not very good and B. I want to use it to keep an eye on my bikes and trailer, which i can only do when going backwards & C. I plan to upgrade the stereo at some point.

Ive seen plenty of wired ones available and have read the wireless ones can pickup other cameras etc, so i'm going to go with a wired one with a dash switch so i can switch on when on the move and just cast an eye over my bikes, trailer etc.

My question is i wanted to mount the camera high up so i can see the bike racks as well as whats behind, but wondered whats the best way in from the roof/door?

I realise i may have to drill a hole, which i dont really want to do, but will if i have to and whats the best way to keep the water out? the thickest part of the wiring is only about 7mm so not a big hole but would be better if i could put it somewhere that didnt require drilling.

Also as the van is already fitted out i think the best way would be to run the wire in conduit under the van and into the battery box and up to the dash that way.

Thanks in advance

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Don’t know if your van has rear windows?

I have fitted the camera on the inside of the rear door window, meant I could route the cable under the van to the back then through the door opening clipped where it won’t get damaged with the door movement. Means the camera stays clean although you do lose some definition if it’s raining or the window particularly dirty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Thanks fella,

No unfortunately my van doesnt have windows, so will have to be somewhere on the outside, ideally on the back vertical face of the High top probably. I think if i can get the wiring in and down to the back lights i'm in with a good shout then. Running under the van and up via the battery area, then powered from a wire tap off the fusebox is the easy bit.

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Talk to Reversing Cameras UK.

Amazingly helpful. Great reliable products. Buy well and buy once.

Probably a screen clipped on the mirror?

Tony
I also dont have a mirror :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Do you currently have any solar panels.

On a previous van I installed the camera on the rear close to the roof , I ran the cable along roof inside plastic square conduit and in through the already present cable gland I had for solar in to the wardrobe.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You just want a twin camera on the back ours will look down on the towbar and front end of trailer and the rear view takes in the whole trailer and rear view.
All three cameras we have are switched separately and have option of starter battery or leisure battery power so you can use whilst parked up👍😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I recently helped someone replace their Dometic rear view camera. Theirs was factory fitted. The cable routed through a hole , into which was pushed a special waterproof grommet supplied with the camera kit. Very simple and effective. Definitely was waterproof, I checked inside the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Do you currently have any solar panels.

On a previous van I installed the camera on the rear close to the roof , I ran the cable along roof inside plastic square conduit and in through the already present cable gland I had for solar in to the wardrobe.
I do have solar and did considered that, however the solar cables are in the rear corner so id need to run the cable up and across from the middle to the corner which may be a bit unsightly, but i guess better that than leaky holes.

Solar.jpg

Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back