Reverse Camera High or Low (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
Hi all, first post so be gentle please.

Just purchased our first motorhome, moving over from 3 years caravan touring. It's a Burstner 726G on a X250 Ducato (2014). I'm a bit of a tinkerer and like electrics/electronics so I'll be tackling a few upgrades, starting with the head unit which is currently being swapped out for an android auto/car play jobbie. This comes with a reverse camera which is intended to be fitted at the number plate level. The van currently has the dometic high level camera which I've connected up to the HU and works fine. So here's the question? Does anyone have experience of high and low level cameras and which to they find best? I can have both connected so can decide which one fires up in reverse gear (but only one or the other). I'm also planning to install park sensors which will be in addition to the camera. I guess I'm asking as if thoughts are that the low camera is useless I may not bother with the extra install work.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have many more questions and hopefully can offer some advice based on my findings along the way.

Craig

OP
OP
B
Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
Sorry Admin just realised I've managed to post this in the wrong forum if you can move as appropriate.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
We gave a low level one fitted to the current van. I prefer it to the high level one fitted on the previous van. Not much good though if you have a tow bar or low level mounted bike rack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
w2f :WelcomeFlag:

Welcome to the forum! You won't get any 'bad' replies here. Everyone is very nice and helpful and Jim keeps us all in check :)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Wired mine to be permanently on with separate screen but that's just my preference.
High for driving and one button press to see low and check bikes/toad/motorbike is behaving itself.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
High as long as you don't intend putting bikes on the back. Mines useless now! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B
Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
I can have them both connected and adjust the high level one to give a good rear view whilst driving (which I like the idea of) and then the low one would kick in reverse. I may stick the low one on temporary with double sided before drilling any holes and run the cable through a window, I could do some testing then with either/both.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Probably not applicable in your case but I find one mounted on the van door number plate useful for parking and whilst driving - with it's own switch so can have it on when I want.
While you are doing the head unit don't forget to give it it's own switched feed to bypass the vehicle feed. (You probably have already)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I used to have a high level reversing and rear view and also a low level one for when I was not towing as I felt it gave a better perspective for vehicles behind you as the high level one when on reversing was basically facing down to the floor at the rear and the rear view was more of a distance view.😊

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I can have them both connected and adjust the high level one to give a good rear view whilst driving (which I like the idea of) and then the low one would kick in reverse. I may stick the low one on temporary with double sided before drilling any holes and run the cable through a window, I could do some testing then with either/both.

Just a thought. Would you also be able to have the high level one record, so using it as a dash cam? Might be useful, if you can.

PS I know absolutely nothing about electrics, so this may well be a stupid suggestion!! :)

OP
OP
B
Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
Probably not applicable in your case but I find one mounted on the van door number plate useful for parking and whilst driving - with it's own switch so can have it on when I want.
While you are doing the head unit don't forget to give it it's own switched feed to bypass the vehicle feed. (You probably have already)
I've spent a lot of time sorting the hash of wiring to the original HU (zentec?) I find it hard to believe this was Burstners work so think someone had been in and added a permanent live from the vehicle battery, which is not ideal. I want the unit switching on/off with ignition which I've sorted but I would like to investigate a separate feed from the leisure battery (switchable) but I need more info or more research as I would assume the switch would need to isolate the existing supply as otherwise this would be interfering with the split charging of the vehicle/have batteries? Not sure about this bit, I'm learning on the go.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Most people want the radio on without the ignition on which is why yours was wired that way.
I have a fused & switched feed from the vehicle battery but don't bother with keeping the memory alive (yellow wire if I remember correctly). Could just as easily have taken it from the hab battery.
That way it's on when I want it and not using power when I switch it off.
However, I do have a separate dab receiver that stores the stations I want without power.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have both high & low cameras. The low is a number plate one & is perfect for reversing to position trailer hitch exactly under tow bar. It also allows me to check when driving. The high level one gives me a rear view of the texting/on phone behind drivers along with an overall view of the trailer & contents.
With no trailer on the back the low allows me to park right up to a vehicle behind & override the reversing sensors if I wish

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We have permanent high and low but the wing mirrors are still best for letting me know what''s going on behind me unless parking up against a wall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back