Residents v Motorhomers - Musselburgh edition

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've just had a knock at the door from a local Musselburgh resident. First off she was lovely but apparently motorhomes parking on Fisherow Harbour car park are becoming a bit of a problem. Full disclosure - I park here quite a lot although I do mix it up for weekends away etc.

For those who don't know the area, motorhomes used to park right on the sea front round the back car park but height barriers were put in to deter this some years ago. According to this woman it was at the request of a councillor who lived there. Since then, vans have had no restrictions to park on the roadside car park so many do.

Most are tourists who park up quite late in the evening, visit the city the next day and are away not long after. There are a few, like myself who stay for 3 or 4 nights quite regularly before moving on. And there were a few idiots who use this space a dumping ground for older vans. 2 old ones were here for well over 18 months without moving or have anyone maintain them. 1 was dragged away a few months ago and the other was uplifted just this morning.

So the residents are making a short video about the issue to present to the council and health & safety are doing a survey of potential dangers and environmental issues should any units catch fire. They are worried about spillage in to the harbour and beach areas.

Residents also don't like having their view obstructed although even if it was cars parking here, all they would see would be the sky anyway, blue today but it is Scotland so usually dark grey and full of wet stuff.

The converted vans are causing particular angst amongst locals with their wood burners and gas bottles sitting outside. Rental vans come in 2nd in the league of residents worries with some locals witnessing full dog poo bags being thrown out of these vans at night by inhabitants who don't actually have any dogs. I'll leave that to your imagination. I have to say I have not once witnessed any off behaviour here by any van dwellers but I am not saying it doesn't happen.

So we had a nice chat and I explained that most vans are fully self contained and I made her aware that I myself use the truck stop 5 minutes up the road when I need services. They provide disposal for both grey and chemical toilet. You can fill up with water there and use their showers if you so desire. So I feel I convinced her we are not sneaking down to the beach at night, with a spade and the thetford loo full to the brim with brown sludge.

Not sure what will happen now, to be fair to the residents they do seem to want to learn about the motorhoming way of life, especially full timers so I hope the film is fair to both sides.

I'd love the council to provide more facilities but to be honest I really don't think they need to. I can park 10 minutes up the road at Newcraighall for 50p per night although I would miss the view and the hustle and bustle that Fisherrow harbour provides. Lets face it, we are all drawn to park by the sea. It's just the way it is.

I'll keep you informed if there are any more updates to this.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Just make them pay for overnight parking. Even £10 a night wouldn't be unreasonable, would it?

OP
OP
monzer
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
monzer Thank you for engaging with the resident in a polite and balanced way.
We'll never get anywhere if people don't engage in a polite and balanced way. She was friendly and genuinely interested in why so many people choose or need to be in a motorhome/ van. Be interesting to see what solution the council come up with..... if any.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We'll never get anywhere if people don't engage in a polite and balanced way.
Yes, I totally agree.

In Eire we were struggling to find somewhere to park up just for one night. We bought diesel and asked the garage if it would be okay to park in the disused pub carpark next door. He said he wouldn't recommend it as the refrigerated trucks stayed there overnight but there was a paved area opposite down a gap between a couple of industrial buildings which would be okay. We parked up out of the way in one corner. Next morning we were surrounded by parked up trucks!!! Hadn't heard a thing.

If you are polite and ask you often get a positive response, and even if the answer is "no" by thanking and moving on it leaves a positive impression.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back