Request to share TV (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9094df
Exp
5 yrs
Hi, whilst streaming Netflix in the MH (Avtex via mobile hotspot) I had a message pop up on the screen requesting to share TV.
Never seen it before, does anyone know anything, and if there are any security implications?
Cheers
Kev

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Do you share your Netflix login details with somebody else? If you do then they may be trying to watch at the ame time. Netflix may charge you extra now so you need to check how many logins you're paying for

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
On principle I would say NO to any request to share any data or information of any sort, unless I personally knew the person making the request and I knew the request was coming before it arrived. There are far too many scams and data attacks for me to risk EVER saying yes to any random request.

I also NEVER open any links or requests supposedly sent to me by family or friends, unless they're accompanied by text explaining what the link is and why it's been sent, in the type of language I'd expect the sender to use.

If in any doubt it's just NO.

OP
OP
B
Jul 12, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9094df
Exp
5 yrs
Thanks Folks, request was denied. Hotspot is PW protected and no-one sharing Netflix.
Cheers
Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I’ve noticed that Netflix have introduced restrictions in recent times. Time was on the basic subscription you could use any device to login and download content using your account. Now it seems that any more than two devices creates a problem and you have to contact customer service to get it reset or upgrade your account.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to occasionally view Netflix using my stepsons account with his permission. I don't now as think Netflix have put a stop to that. Don't actually miss it as there's nothing on there that interests either of us.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Netflix now charge £5 month to piggyback what was free using someone else's account details.
We used daughters account til it changed then she registered us on her account and even pays the five quid for us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lucky for me they haven't clamped down in Thailand yet, We & our other daughter share our duaghter in Thailand account she only pays £3.75/month for the top account.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Jeremy Vine show today, there was mention of the risks that many devices throughout the house now present through the use of WiFi. Talked about washing machines, freezers and the like, all being WiFi enabled and at risk of the bad people on the tinternet and their scams and data thiefs.

Seems that manufacturers are sending out these appliances with a generic password, often 12345, or admin so that people can access the machines, but fail to change the password to something a lot safer. The bad people can the access your security and all associated info, from phones, iPads, laptops and all through a fridge or freezer or dishwasher (no, not SWMBO 🤦🏼‍♂️) and you’re in trouble.

Talk was that manufacturers are to soon follow legislation on tightening up their security and protecting their customers.

Who’d have thought it, I was scammed by my washing machine 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤭

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Even if someone did manage to join your hotspot, I don't see how they'd get a message on your TV screen.

Is it possible your Netflix account has been hacked and someone else is using your account for free? Maybe the sharing message was because they were using it at the same time as you?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
It's someone trying to join a TV and a phone/tablet. If that is deliberately yours or they thought it was theirs, I can't tell you...

Don't worry about it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Could it be Bluetooth? Can't these TVs be used as speakers? Did someone try to stream their music to their Bluetooth device and attempted to pair to your TV?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Even if someone did manage to join your hotspot, I don't see how they'd get a message on your TV screen.

Is it possible your Netflix account has been hacked and someone else is using your account for free? Maybe the sharing message was because they were using it at the same time as you?

If you login to your account, then via your profile select ‘accounts’ then select ‘manage access and devices’ you can see what devices have used your account in recent times.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
When is the last time you "signed out" of all Netflix accounts.
I did this once and discovered I had been cloned/hacked and other people were sharing my account but invisible to me. Quick call to tech support and updated password and all good since.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Jeremy Vine show today, there was mention of the risks that many devices throughout the house now present through the use of WiFi. Talked about washing machines, freezers and the like, all being WiFi enabled and at risk of the bad people on the tinternet and their scams and data thiefs.

Seems that manufacturers are sending out these appliances with a generic password, often 12345, or admin so that people can access the machines, but fail to change the password to something a lot safer. The bad people can the access your security and all associated info, from phones, iPads, laptops and all through a fridge or freezer or dishwasher (no, not SWMBO 🤦🏼‍♂️) and you’re in trouble.

Talk was that manufacturers are to soon follow legislation on tightening up their security and protecting their customers.

The cheap off shore manufactures can get round the legislation as you are the importer when you order from them.
Mike.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

They were going to launder your money…😆🤣

The cheap off shore manufactures can get round the legislation as you are the importer when you order from them.
Mike.
Ear we go, tis in the news today 👍🏻

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I haven't seen a home router with default passwords on the WiFi for a long time.

The main thing this will do is stop home routers from using the default password on their admin interface. But as not many people ever go there, I doubt it makes much difference to them.

I haven't seen any devices like fridges or printers or lightbulbs that have default passwords either. Pretty much everything is cloud connected, which means that possiblity isn't normally even possible.

The more interesting bit of the legislation is that it must be possible to update and patch hardware to protect against me vulnerabilities. But it doesn't state how long manufacturers are responsible for providing the updates. Or what level of vulnerability they must respond to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back