Replacing Swytch bike controller with generic version? (1 Viewer)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We have two Brommies that I’ve converted with Swytch kits. One was originally converted using a TOUR pack (the big beefy original one), which died. They gave me a small discount off a PRO pack as a replacement, which has never worked properly, in that randomly, there is an appalling judder while you’re under way.

As we have two kits the same, I’ve been able to ascertain that it’s definitely the battery pack unit that’s faulty, because swapping the battery packs between bikes replicates the issue on whichever bike it’s installed.

I raised the issue with Swytch support, who eventually sent me a replacement controller. This made no difference and I noticed that it’s the same batch as the previous controller, so I suspect an inherent fault.

Swytch has been utterly useless in its support on this. They’ve now told me that there’s no option but to buy one of the new style battery packs as an upgrade. They’ve offered £100 credit, but it still involves me spending hundreds more in order to obtain a kit that might work. I’ve lost my faith in them entirely, following their lack of responsibility and would never recommend that anyone buy one of their kits.

Now, to the nub of the post: I’ve had e-bikes for quite a few years and know that the brains of the operation is the controller. There are many controllers available online from various suppliers. Has anyone ever replaced a branded controller with a generic one? The connectors are unique I think, but I suppose they could be swapped over with some fettling?

What do you think? Is it a goer? The battery itself is fine.
image.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I recently changed the controller on one if our ebikes, I was quoted around £90 for a replacement, I got one from Ali Baba or Ali Express (catt remember which one), Inc delivery for about a third of that price inc delivery.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Get an ebike tester, £25 on ebay.
As changing the controller did not help it is probably OK. Shuddering can mean one of the three phases supplied to the motor is not working properly. Check all the wiring.
1688756341471.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We have two Brommies that I’ve converted with Swytch kits. One was originally converted using a TOUR pack (the big beefy original one), which died. They gave me a small discount off a PRO pack as a replacement, which has never worked properly, in that randomly, there is an appalling judder while you’re under way.

As we have two kits the same, I’ve been able to ascertain that it’s definitely the battery pack unit that’s faulty, because swapping the battery packs between bikes replicates the issue on whichever bike it’s installed.

I raised the issue with Swytch support, who eventually sent me a replacement controller. This made no difference and I noticed that it’s the same batch as the previous controller, so I suspect an inherent fault.

Swytch has been utterly useless in its support on this. They’ve now told me that there’s no option but to buy one of the new style battery packs as an upgrade. They’ve offered £100 credit, but it still involves me spending hundreds more in order to obtain a kit that might work. I’ve lost my faith in them entirely, following their lack of responsibility and would never recommend that anyone buy one of their kits.

Now, to the nub of the post: I’ve had e-bikes for quite a few years and know that the brains of the operation is the controller. There are many controllers available online from various suppliers. Has anyone ever replaced a branded controller with a generic one? The connectors are unique I think, but I suppose they could be swapped over with some fettling?

What do you think? Is it a goer? The battery itself is fine.View attachment 779229
Hi
I am having the same problems and Swytch no long stocks the controller and wants me to upgrade to their new system. I am thinking of purchasing the controller from Amazon and wondered if you were successful in changing yours out for a new one. Thank you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back