Replacing instrument dials with Lockwood (white) replacements (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
As per the title, has anybody done this, either themselves or by a 3rd party, to overcome the piss-poor legibility of the dials, particularly during daytime driving?
I am thinking of going down this route to improve the situation in my 2021 Ducato PVC. I previously replaced the dials on my imported VW T5 California, using Lockwood replacements, as it needed MPH dials to be registered in UK. The instructions on the Lockwood website look straightforward enough, I'm just keen to hear feedback from anyone that has had similar done to their Ducato - does it solve the readability problem of the standard (dark) dials?

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
There was a step-by-step guide to doing that in an issue of MMM magazine a couple of years or more ago. If you are a subscriber you may be able to find the article in their archives. If not, I think I may have torn out the pages with that article and put them in my 'might be useful' file (I thought I might do it to our Ducato). Can't check until we are back home on 21st Sept.

Edit: The final photos of the completed job indicated that the dials were much clearer than the 'before' photo of the black dials.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
There was a step-by-step guide to doing that in an issue of MMM magazine a couple of years or more ago. If you are a subscriber you may be able to find the article in their archives. If not, I think I may have torn out the pages with that article and put them in my 'might be useful' file (I thought I might do it to our Ducato). Can't check until we are back home on 21st Sept.

Edit: The final photos of the completed job indicated that the dials were much clearer than the 'before' photo of the black dials.
Thanks, managed to find the article online, and it certainly appears to be a widespread problem judging by the number of people who commented online about it. Interestingly, the article only refers to speedo and rev counter being replaced with white dials, but not fuel and temperature dials. Also, it only applies to manual gearbox too.
Lockwood have clearly developed a version of these dials that cover all 4 gauges/displays, and also auto gearbox since that article was written (2016/7?)
That’s good news for me, as my Ducato is a 9 speed auto.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
If you do go ahead with it please let us know how you got on. It's likely that others here, me included, would be interested in that modification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back