Removing Hymer's Retractable Steps (1 Viewer)

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I’ve damaged the retractable aluminium steps on my Hymer and I’ve been trying to remove them so they can be repaired.

They appear to be fixed to the van via 6 nuts, 3 each side (yellow arrows). On the forward side I’ve loosened the nuts without issue but on the other side, next to the rear wheel, the nuts and thread are corroded and are proving difficult. I’ve sprayed them over a few days with PlusGas and managed to loosen the rightmost nut but the other two remain stubborn. I’m wary of trying too hard as there is some movement of both the nut and stud and I’m not sure how the stud is fixed to the van.

Does anyone know how the studs are retained within the van or had success removing the steps?

Picture 2.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Mine go through the floor and the bolt is set in a recess with a plastic cap just inside the door. The caps have lugs on and if they turn as you undo the nut from the underside they mangle the lino floor covering.
There is no obvious way of stopping this turning but apart from applying some pressure, if you can reach to do both things at once 🤣

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If I had to tackle that job, I would try a nut splitter, although there may not be sufficient room. Failing that a small angle grinder with a cutting disc. Just cut up on side of each nut, this will release the nut's grip and should then come undone. Do not force them as it will cause the bolt to rotate and prevent reassembly.

Geoff

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Yes, I have those grey caps too. I tried to remove one but it didn't yield and I didn't want to cause damage unnecessarily there but I'll try harder now. Do the caps just prise off?

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
If I had to tackle that job, I would try a nut splitter, although there may not be sufficient room. Failing that a small angle grinder with a cutting disc. Just cut up on side of each nut, this will release the nut's grip and should then come undone. Do not force them as it will cause the bolt to rotate and prevent reassembly.

Geoff
Thanks, I hadn't thought about a nut splitter, I do have one somewhere. I'll try that if I can't access the top of the fixing from inside the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I have those grey caps too. I tried to remove one but it didn't yield and I didn't want to cause damage unnecessarily there but I'll try harder now. Do the caps just prise off?
Mine were firmly attached to the blot heads, I didn't pull them out to look how they were attached

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Mine were firmly attached to the blot heads, I didn't pull them out to look how they were attached
Can I be sure that I'll be able to get a socket onto the head if I remove the cap? I don't want to damage the cap and/or the floor covering if, once I've done that, I still can't hold the bolt steady to remove the nut.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could you just remove step arms from the floor bracket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Could you just remove step arms from the floor bracket
They’re held on by two rivets. I’ve got the rhs off now which I can try and repair - that’s were the damage is. But if I have to buy the complete step I’ll need to remove the other arm and bracket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back