Remembering to disconnect EHU (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
There have been various suggestions here for how to avoid driving off with the EHU still connected.
I would add the following method, which is small, light and virtually foolproof:
I made a plastic tag as shown that just fits into the ignition slot (goes in about 4mm) Something about 10mm x 3.5mm suited the keyhole of my Boxer cab.
I wrote Cable on one side and Post on the other so I can also use it to remind me not to try and reverse out of my drive with the security post still there!
You can’t physically start the engine if the tag is in position, which makes it pretty foolproof as I say. To ensure you remember to put it in position in the first place then keep it somewhere obvious, like in the sink, when you are travelling, then you’ll see it when you park up.
An even easier option is to use a piece of plastic from a food container, or the side of a detergent container if you want something more robust, as per the last image. Just be sure it slips easily in and out as you don’t want anything jamming or breaking off in the ignition barrel. That is why I prefer the first option.

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1640.jpeg

IMG_1642.jpeg

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
That's a nice simple but clever idea but....
surely the simplest way to avoid driving off with the EHU cable still attached or a bucket underneath or the rear steadies still down or even the dog attached to the tow bar is to have a walk around before getting in the drivers seat to leave? :cool:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Following a disaster last year when the very small key fob for a campsite slipped down between the panels on the dashboard of the van, I now have a ribbon that i can hang on the gear lever to which I tie campsite keys etc. I could add a reminder to that for the electrics / step in / gas off so that I look at it before departure.

OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
That's a nice simple but clever idea but....
surely the simplest way to avoid driving off with the EHU cable still attached or a bucket underneath or the rear steadies still down or even the dog attached to the tow bar is to have a walk around before getting in the drivers seat to leave? :cool:
I do have a check list I work through before leaving but I still like to have the extra reminder just in case.

OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
The time i ran over my lead was manoeuvring for another motorhome so not when moving on. Ripped the plug out of the socket in the side of the van.
Ouch, yes I’ve seen it happen. I have a check list before setting off. but one time I was just moving to fill up with water before leaving and hadn’t gone through it.
I moved about 6 feet before screeching to a halt, fortunately without damage, having forgotten the EHU.
That’s when I decided to make the tag thing.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
When I built our van conversion I had several must do's, one was the hook up ehu must be on the drivers side so I have to walk past it when getting into the van and the step must be auto closing. I also put the gas water heater on the drivers side so I could see if the cover had been replaced and while I was at it I put the water filler on that side too ;-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We have a laminated checklist that lives in the sun visor.

ALL Roof Vents Closed
ALL Lockers Locked
EHU Cable in Locker
Central Heating OFF
Fridge Locked and set to Auto/Off
Bikes Loaded and Locked
Awning In
Gas ON or OFF
Cassette Empty
Waste Tank Level
Fresh Water Level
Waste Tank Tap Open/Closed
Electrical Water Tap On/Off
Bin Stowed/Biodegradable bin Empty
Satellite Down
Steps IN
Chocks Away ?
Wife on board ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Van was on the drive, busy packing to leave shortly. Let the handbrake off to roll forwards a couple of metres so I could put the bike on the rack... yanked the cable out of the socket.

It's the unusual situations where the infallible system you have fails.

OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
We have a laminated checklist that lives in the sun visor.

ALL Roof Vents Closed
ALL Lockers Locked
EHU Cable in Locker
Central Heating OFF
Fridge Locked and set to Auto/Off
Bikes Loaded and Locked
Awning In
Gas ON or OFF
Cassette Empty
Waste Tank Level
Fresh Water Level
Waste Tank Tap Open/Closed
Electrical Water Tap On/Off
Bin Stowed/Biodegradable bin Empty
Satellite Down
Steps IN
Chocks Away ?
Wife on board ?
Yes, I have a list very like that (well, apart from checking to see if your wife is onboard - that would be a bit weird) but the times I have been nearest to forgetting the EHU are when I do my periodic starting and moving back and forward to make sure the brakes haven’t seized when it is on its winter SORN. Then the checklist is not consulted so it’s an extra safeguard.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes, I have a list very like that (well, apart from checking to see if your wife is onboard - that would be a bit weird) but the times I have been nearest to forgetting the EHU are when I do my periodic starting and moving back and forward to make sure the brakes haven’t seized when it is on its winter SORN. Then the checklist is not consulted so it’s an extra safeguard.
My van lives at our storage location.

So I have another checklist of a similar length for layup, even if it's only for a few days.
It includes making sure the Electroblock is off and all the internal locker doors are open and the bins are empty.

Over the years we have left internal lights on, lockers unlocked, stuff in the freezer, the bin and loo unemptied etc.
Luckily we have a solar panel, so never had flat batteries, but that is why I have the checklist, just so you remember.

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
I haven't left with the EHU cable connected, but I did run over a folding chair once...
Don't ask.... :rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My first attempt at a foolproof system, I draped the lead over both mirrors and made sure the cable ran across the windscreen at eye level. What I didn't think of, is that in backing off the drive, you look backwards not forwards. Doh! I broke the cable at first attempt, brand new van! I still use that method, but always recall that first attempt as a reminder.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
or even the dog attached to the tow bar

I have heard stories of poor doggies yelping whilst being dragged along the road:eek:
That was the mistake, should have got Huskies and attached to front bumper !
;)

OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
My van lives at our storage location.

So I have another checklist of a similar length for layup, even if it's only for a few days.
It includes making sure the Electroblock is off and all the internal locker doors are open and the bins are empty.

Over the years we have left internal lights on, lockers unlocked, stuff in the freezer, the bin and loo unemptied etc.
Luckily we have a solar panel, so never had flat batteries, but that is why I have the checklist, just so you remember.
A few years ago we had been driving around ten miles from our last campsite when I suddenly realised one of the rear access hatches to the garage was open. Amazingly my rucksack and other contents were still there.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I would never pull off a pitch without the mandatory visual checks and walk around. Check all air’d up, tyres look okay, lockers are closed and secured etc etc

I do it even when parked at a services for 30 mins when on a journey. It’s a very good habit to have.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Managed to drive from Skipton to Todmorden 17 miles with our electric side step out 🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣😖

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back