Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had my 3L V6 Merc engine motorhome done by Quantum 3 years ago. Went from 190 to 230 bhp - torque I can't remember. Two most noticeable effects were a quieter idle (it wasn’t particularly noisy before tuning) and improved hill climbing with the autobox holding a higher gear for longer. The van never did lack power & I only had the tune because I wanted to experience it. However it was well worth it and I'd do it again.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's better to translate than for me to paste as you'll see the format and graphs
The take away from that tune is there's no point going much over max torque at about 2000rpm/100ish bhp so the marketing guys fixation with bhp is a bit of nonsense

Nov 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mymer 560MLI
MOTs only test emissions at idle. Euro6 requirements test the vehicle under load. I think the Euro6final test puts the vehicle on a rolling road and takes a couple of hours for each of dozens of runs. Passing an MOT isn't the same as being Euro compliant.
I had a 2.3 fiat done in Cornwall , drove around ok. Took it to the Alps and black clouds followed me. So bad gave up, drove back and had it removed. Believe it or not I was told we didn't expect you to go that high under load.! Driven Merc ever since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Are you sure of that? I thought the Fiat one was considerably more than just a remapped 150, different turbo etc. no idea about the VW but I'd guess that would be similar.
The 130 to 150 has a number of different parts from turbo to cat/doc/dpf gearbox (manual, the comformatic has same M40 as 150,180)and brakes the 180 has the same vvt turbo, again i was told only map was different. In the same vein it was the VW salesman that said it was only the map, who believes salesmen.

OP
OP
IRHP
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
The 130 to 150 has a number of different parts from turbo to cat/doc/dpf gearbox (manual, the comformatic has same M40 as 150,180)and brakes the 180 has the same vvt turbo, again i was told only map was different. In the same vein it was the VW salesman that said it was only the map, who believes salesmen.
I think I read about a different crank shaft as well.

Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
Well just to add my tuppence worth, my first motorhome was remapped prior to purchase by previous owner. It was on a renault base vehicle. It broke down three times blowing the engine master fuse. Had several faults of going into limp mode, too many to count. Had to go to Renault commercial workshop as motorhome garage couldn't diagnosis fault. Renault commercial reinstalled original mapping, as they said that was at fault. So be careful who maps your vehicle, use a recommended company.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Well just to add my tuppence worth, my first motorhome was remapped prior to purchase by previous owner. It was on a renault base vehicle. It broke down three times blowing the engine master fuse. Had several faults of going into limp mode, too many to count. Had to go to Renault commercial workshop as motorhome garage couldn't diagnosis fault. Renault commercial reinstalled original mapping, as they said that was at fault. So be careful who maps your vehicle, use a recommended company.
Going into limp mode, I can understand. I'm not sure how mapping could affect the electrics though.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Since when?
Every diesel I've had has been tested at high revs..... Not constant but a 'floor it' to around 4000 rpm for a second or two.
Usually asked when/if the cam belts been changed as if it snaps during the test they are liable for repair.
You dont obviously tip the tester enough, Joking aside it is/was the correct way but many testers dont want the hastle of potentially blowing an engine up i guess

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Do i read it that the previous owner did the re map himself rather than going to a reconised company. Only asking as i am thinking of getting 2007 base Renault remapped

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do i read it that the previous owner did the re map himself rather than going to a reconised company. Only asking as i am thinking of getting 2007 base Renault remapped
I can’t honestly see how a remapping can cause a main engine fuse to blow, performance faults yes ;
There must have been other issues with the electrical systems.
But the basic advice of choose your remapping people carefully is good advice.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I think I read about a different crank shaft as well.
From 130 to 150? Wouldnt be surprised. Wish i knew then what i know now. But when i tried to order to my spec found out not possible as model was withdrawn and had to search forcourts for unsold dealer spec.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back