Red Squirrel Awareness Week (15 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
As it's apparently Red Squirrel Awareness Week. We are just home from a lovely trip to the Yorkshire Dales. One of the highlights was the Snaizeholme Red Squirrel Sanctuary just outside Hawes. Thoroughly recommend it to any funsters with an interest in our native wildlife.

DSC09211 (2).JPG

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Seasoned
Are the squirrels aware that we are aware that it is be aware of red squirrels week? I wasn't aware that I should be aware of them until I read this. Maybe I should be more aware.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
On a serious note.. apparently due to reintroduction and habitation inprovements in the Highlands of Scotland the red squirrel is slowly kicking the greys into touch and are becoming the majority in the squirrel world..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
None down south apart from Brownsea island due to the tree rats (grey squirrels).

About 4 years ago we were walking in the Picos in Spain and a couple of red squirrels ran down the path and crossed a few inches in front of our feet, I got quite excited.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Funnily enough saw one yesterday in Leucate on the Med. First for many years.

OP
OP
Southend
Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
On a serious note.. apparently due to reintroduction and habitation inprovements in the Highlands of Scotland the red squirrel is slowly kicking the greys into touch and are becoming the majority in the squirrel world..
Yes, apparently they are spreading beyond the sanctuaries in the Yorkshire Dales.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
This cannot be done without human involvement in the eradication of the greys, as they carry the squirrel pox virus (+ the greys will out muscle the reds when competing for food). The greys in many parks around me are so numerous there’d have to be significant culls before we could think about introducing reds.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
This cannot be done without human involvement in the eradication of the greys, as they carry the squirrel pox virus (+ the greys will out muscle the reds when competing for food). The greys in many parks around me are so numerous there’d have to be significant culls before we could think about introducing reds.

Let's make a start then

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If you read thru my post #10 you will see that that is exactly what is happening.." human involvement/intervention.. 👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back