Recommendations of Swiss campsite with good access to trips/public transport (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Late change of plan this summer so now looking to find a campsite base from 26 August to 2 September with good access to train mountain trips, town and walking (sensible routes !).
Any recommendations - yes, we know it's pricey and that we need a vignette:cool:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We use camping breithorn in lauterbrunnen, bus stop outside, a good walk into lauterbrunnen itself in which you can catch a train into Interlaken or grindelwald, or indeed up the jungfraujoch (that is pricey) or you can walk to stechelberg to catch the cable cars up to the schilthorn (007 on her majesty’s secret service mountain) But nothings cheap in Switzerland 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😔

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We loved the Lauterbrunnen valley too, easy walking/cycling along the valley cycle path with beautiful waterfalls. One stop up to Mürren on the Schilthorn cable car gives access to lovely horizontal walks.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Not sure if this meets your requirements but plenty to see/do locally - lakes, walking & towns and a nice site. Plenty of excursions using local train with free local pass.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've stayed at Camping Alpenblick on the edge of Lake Thun with a bus stop outside the gate into Interlaken, free with the local travel pass, or a pleasant 20 minute walk. They do ACSI too. Like Lauterbrunnen mentioned already it's the centre of some wonderful train and cable car journeys.

1688413469133.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We've stayed at Camping Alpenblick on the edge of Lake Thun with a bus stop outside the gate into Interlaken, free with the local travel pass, or a pleasant 20 minute walk. The do ACSI too. Like Lauterbrunnen mentioned already it's the centre of some wonderful train and cable car journeys.

View attachment 777631
We stayed here a few years back and loved the area, did a cable car up a local mountain then walked down. Also did the train to Grindlewald, loads to do in the local area.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
camping breithorn in lauterbrunnen is very good, first time stay but will definitely visit again..
Easy access to the train station in the village , we went to Innsbruck.
Cable cars to go up the mountains are a 10min walk into the village also.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Camping Manor Farm near Lake Lucerne is very good and you can use the ferry/buses for free with the guest card to get into Lucerne and plenty of cable cars and mountain railways near by.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We have been visiting Lauterbrunnen for years and always stop at Camping Jungfrau.
As mentioned there is loads to see and do.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Sorry we were at Camping Jungfrau, I copied the other site name from another Funsters post who also doesn’t seem to know where he went 😂😂

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We stayed at Camping Jungfrau. It wasn't as expensive as I feared as we got an ACSI discount and it was off season for them. It's lower down the valley than Briethorn and you can catch the train from the village which opens up the rest of the country.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just googled Jungfrau, something else added to my bucketlist! Thanks, MotorhomeFUN for keeping me poor! :(
That little video reminded me of last year's ski trip to Tignes. Long funicular out of Val Claret and then a cable car up to La Grande Motte at about 3500metres. Fabulous black run down from the top.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
That little video reminded me of last year's ski trip to Tignes. Long funicular out of Val Claret and then a cable car up to La Grande Motte at about 3500metres. Fabulous black run down from the top.
Skiings not really my thing but it looks stunning , and if the atmosphere up there is even half as good as it is on Nintendo Wii Family Ski then I bet its amazing!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I thought you was pitched just down the other end of the site to me?
I see a Carthargo with UK plates and thought it was you🤔🤔
So basically when you said you came to see me and you thought I was out, you was looking at the wrong ‘kin van??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Skiings not really my thing but it looks stunning , and if the atmosphere up there is even half as good as it is on Nintendo Wii Family Ski then I bet its amazing!
Its my favourite holiday, fresh mountain air, fabulous views, mountain restaurants and brilliant fun. 😎

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I was going to suggest Swiss Farm in henley on thames, but that may not be what the op is looking for....

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We've stayed at Camping Alpenblick on the edge of Lake Thun with a bus stop outside the gate into Interlaken, free with the local travel pass, or a pleasant 20 minute walk. They do ACSI too. Like Lauterbrunnen mentioned already it's the centre of some wonderful train and cable car journeys.

View attachment 777631
Hi
We are thinking of moving here from our current site 30 minutes drive away...good price with our ACSI card lol!...is there access to hikes close by? We have our dog with us who gets very nervous & stressed on a bus (following a car accident a couple of years back)..albeit we tested him on bumpy Devon roads!...so trying to find a site we can just walk out in to the valleys from rather than move van each day!
Trying to decide between here or lauterbuton.
Thanks

Oh and did their WiFi work?! Our phones stopped working when we crossed the border!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not sure about walking out to the valleys, you're down at lake level with plenty of wooded areas around. We usually walked (25 minutes) or took the bus into Interlaken for onward journeys. We weren't bothered about wifi back then, more concerned with getting a signal from the satellite dish, we still used a camera for pictures too! The ACSI pitches were on the short strip opposite the toilet block just beyond the reception/restaurant, handy for the morning croissants.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Having just returned from France where most of the cable cars closed at end of August was interested to know if most Swiss ones are still open to allow access to walks on the higher plateaux?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Having just returned from France where most of the cable cars closed at end of August was interested to know if most Swiss ones are still open to allow access to walks on the higher plateaux?
The one at Stechelberg will be open all year round to allow the residents of Murren to get up there.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Late change of plan this summer so now looking to find a campsite base from 26 August to 2 September with good access to train mountain trips, town and walking (sensible routes !).
Any recommendations - yes, we know it's pricey and that we need a vignette:cool:
Did you find a site and did you need to book,? How busy was it in late August? Been researching the Lauterbrunnen valley and it looks ideal for walks.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Firstly the Jungfrau region from a base in the Lauterbrunnen valley is brilliant. We've done it twice now, once staying at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, the second in the motorhome at Stechelberg; we could easily go back a third time in the next year or two. The Stechelberg campsite was intended to be cheaper than Camping Jungfrau, but we ended up paying more as whilst you can easily walk from Camping Jungfrau to Lauterbrunnen station for trains and a handy cable car, the bus along the valley from Stechlberg is excluded from the brilliant Jungfrau pass and the daily 2-way costs add up:

I always say you'll work out that you can afford to travel in Switzerland, or eat out, but not both :-(
And you'll return realising that UK public transport is even worse than you knew it to be. Each trip we did one day (usually the last) of opening the map, shutting our eyes and stabbing someone on the map with a view to getting there as soon as possible after breakfast. Enter the location into a Swiss travel app and follow its routing of buses/trains/cable cars. Switzerland simply works.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back