Recommendations: Imperial War Museum North (Media City Manchester) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Planning a visit to the Imperial War Museum North & just wondering whether anyone who has been before or has local knowledge would like to recommend a site with more than basic facilities from which there is good public transport to the IWM North or Media City generally.

(The 'North' part is important - shame on me for not knowing there was such a thing - there's a temporary exhibition currently that I'm keen to see & recently went to London with IWM in mind only to discover we were a few miles too far to the south... 😱)

I could use a site searcher but none of them seem to have a 'public transport to Media City' filter and anyway, I trust your recommendations more 🙂

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
IWMN is well worth a visit.
Living locally I have no call to know much about local campsites. But I am aware there is one just north of Bury.
Manchester has an excellent tram network that will take you to Media City where you can take the footbridge across to IWMN. It has got to make sense to view the tram network as part of your planning. You will find that Bolton (to the north west) has no tram network but other points of the compass are well served.

Hope that helps. Will keep an eye on this thread to input local knowledge on any sites identified.

Chris

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Went once quite a few years ago ,was disappointed by the lack of exhibits and general theme (anti war which is understandable but from my recollection most of the limited displays followed that theme)
However one item I can guarantee will NOT be still on display is a lump of coal mined from one of the last deep pits in the north by Jimmy Saville !!! (He was a `Bevan boy’ in WW2)

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Camping and caravan club Bury then use the tram. You can also go on the Steam Railway from there and don’t forget fabulous market. Fantastic fish stalls.
Some of the market maybe closed they had Racc in the ceiling.

OP
OP
stuartholmes

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
IWMN is well worth a visit.
Living locally I have no call to know much about local campsites. But I am aware there is one just north of Bury.
Manchester has an excellent tram network that will take you to Media City where you can take the footbridge across to IWMN. It has got to make sense to view the tram network as part of your planning. You will find that Bolton (to the north west) has no tram network but other points of the compass are well served.

Hope that helps. Will keep an eye on this thread to input local knowledge on any sites identified.

Chris
Brilliant thank you. I was expecting the tram would be part of the deal & look forward to that as part of the experience. Rode the original line many years ago & will be interested in how it's stood the test of time. Not very well last I heard but that was before Andy Burnham.

''Living With The Troubles'' is the motivation to visit because I did, then sometime soon I have to go back to Belfast...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stuartholmes

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Went once quite a few years ago ,was disappointed by the lack of exhibits and general theme (anti war which is understandable but from my recollection most of the limited displays followed that theme)
However one item I can guarantee will NOT be still on display is a lump of coal mined from one of the last deep pits in the north by Jimmy Saville !!! (He was a `Bevan boy’ in WW2)
That's a useful warning thank you, I am trying to keep expectations under control.

The Bevan Boys are under-reported/under-valued I would say. Who knows what that experience did to the boys concerned & how it played into the mind of adult Mr S. Maybe best not go too far down that path.

OP
OP
stuartholmes

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Camping and caravan club Bury then use the tram. You can also go on the Steam Railway from there and don’t forget fabulous market. Fantastic fish stalls.
Some of the market maybe closed they had Racc in the ceiling.
Wouldn't have though of that but great idea thank you.
Back in 197something I did a couple of months student placement working at the community centre beside wonderful Bury Market so it'll be a good opportunity to re-visit. Cheers!

Steam railway from Bury to Media City?? Off for a google.... 🙂

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
New Mills marina, 5 van site with all facilities inc. shower. 5 mins walk to train station. Hard standing.
Whitecroft farm at Strines, 5 van site, 5 mins walk to the station, it's the same line as New Mills, all grass. Dump water and leccy only.

Stayed at both in the RV so I know access is good.

At Burrs country park campsite at the moment, it's about a 2 mile walk into Bury, or half a mile to the bustop.
They use both diesel and steam on the line, so as said that's another way to get to Bury from here.
Station from our pitch
17204350494972940532516601618756.jpg

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Wouldn't have though of that but great idea thank you.
Back in 197something I did a couple of months student placement working at the community centre beside wonderful Bury Market so it'll be a good opportunity to re-visit. Cheers!

Steam railway from Bury to Media City?? Off for a google.... 🙂
No sorry Steam Railway goes the other way up yo Rawtenstall

OP
OP
stuartholmes

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
New Mills marina, 5 van site with all facilities inc. shower. 5 mins walk to train station. Hard standing.
Whitecroft farm at Strines, 5 van site, 5 mins walk to the station, it's the same line as New Mills, all grass. Dump water and leccy only.

Stayed at both in the RV so I know access is good.

At Burrs country park campsite at the moment, it's about a 2 mile walk into Bury, or half a mile to the bustop.
They use both diesel and steam on the line, so as said that's another way to get to Bury from here.
Station from our pitch
Thank you, first two you mention are on the 'right' side of Manchester for us so possible. Prob look at Burrs Park when going Bury & north, it looks a good base. cheers.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I agree with alunandfalice the iwm museum was a let down for me.
The tech museum is far better, the demonstration of turning bales of cotton in to cotton for manufacturing stuff is very noisy but good.
The machinery hall next door has unfortunately been closed the last couple of times I have been.
Also Aircraft museum over the road.
I will probably give it a look this week, while wifey gets some retail therapy.

OP
OP
stuartholmes

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I agree with alunandfalice the iwm museum was a let down for me.
I have those other venues in mind too, but thanks for the recommendations.
IWM despite limitations is first because of my special interest.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Manchester science and Technology museum just off Deansgate exhibits go from Early Cotton production right the way through to Alan Turin computers and across the road Aviation museum both are just a 23 min public transport away from each other.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I see the power hall is still closed, must be 2 years since that was open.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Manchester science and Technology museum just off Deansgate exhibits go from Early Cotton production right the way through to Alan Turin computers and across the road Aviation museum both are just a 23 min public transport away from each other.
My mistake it was closed for refurbishment now reopened apparently

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Are you confusing the Manchester museum which was closed for refurb and the science and tech museum?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I have those other venues in mind too, but thanks for the recommendations.
IWM despite limitations is first because of my special interest.
Let us know about your experience afterwards please ,I’m keen on military history so will be interested in your opinion 👍

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
The Power Hall is apparently closed, the rest is open.
I didn't realise the Air and Space Hall is permanently closed, shame, but I imagine the upkeep of the building and exhibits was extortionate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back