Recommendations for a new lap top (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Lap top has died whilst in the UK.
What would people recommend for a replacement ? I basically only use for web browsing, you tube, emails,occasional translating .Been using windows 10 on old one.
What is the difference between a lap top on android/windows & a chrome book?
Only thing fixed is that it must have a Spanish keyboard.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: DBK
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I bought myself a new one last year. Got an HP. i3 processor with 8gb ram. 128gb SSD. It was a lesser processor than my previous one as it was a lot cheaper and to be honest i haven't noticed any difference in speed. Good solid reliable computer for all the stuff you mention.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
summary of chomebook/windows differences. Essentially it is a different operating system.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
HP for me for quality, got an Envy 13" nice and portable but maybe overkill for your needs.

Keyboard you can buy a Spanish one with Bluetooth or wired and set system keyboard to Spanish or use the inbuilt keyboard with Spanish system one but obviously you would need to know what key was what

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Just bought a PC from the AO outlet Elektec in Bolton. £270 instead of £330 on the main website. Looks like new to me, in its box etc. You can buy online or go to the warehouse. Don’t know about the keyboard bit.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What would people recommend for a replacement ? I basically only use for web browsing, you tube, emails,occasional translating .Been using windows 10 on old one.
Thanks in advance

Richard

On recommendation of a long-time professional I bought an Acer laptop and have had it 8 years so far. Very pleased with it.

I only use the laptop at home or on the MH table, tethered to our phone, so I have no need for portability to coffee shops etc. I also like having the 17" screen.

Be aware that programmes/Apps that run on laptops are often more sophisticated than those Apps which are downsized for notebooks etc.

Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks in advance
You could do all that with an Android tablet. The only snag is if you want to print anything you might need to buy a new printer which has WiFi. The Spanish keyboard will be on screen, not a physical one although you could use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Richard

On recommendation of a long-time professional I bought an Acer laptop and have had it 8 years so far. Very pleased with it.

I only use the laptop at home or on the MH table, tethered to our phone, so I have no need for portability to coffee shops etc. I also like having the 17" screen.

Be aware that programmes/Apps that run on laptops are often more sophisticated than those Apps which are downsized for notebooks etc.

Geoff
I think you mean tablets, not notebooks, Geoff.

Notebooks, ultra books, and 'laptops' run exactly the same apps, which are dependent only on OS, and do native scaling for different screen sizes.

Chromebooks, for instance, run a proper browser for web based stuff, and can run Android apps, and Linux OS programs.

Android and iOS devices do not use a 'desktop' browser, which can lead to a number of issues with, for instance, banking websites.

Hope this helps.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you mean tablets, not notebooks, Geoff.

Notebooks, ultra books, and 'laptops' run exactly the same apps, which are dependent only on OS, and do native scaling for different screen sizes.

Chromebooks, for instance, run a proper browser for web based stuff, and can run Android apps, and Linux OS programs.

Android and iOS devices do not use a 'desktop' browser, which can lead to a number of issues with, for instance, banking websites.

Hope this helps.

Hands up I know nothing of what you speak.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why not get a tablet if that’s all you’re using it for?
I should have stated from the outset that I cannot get on with a tablet. Even on a lap top I use a mouse always. I cannot use the drag & click . I aloso can't work with a digital keyboard covering half the screen. Similar to using a phone
If you don't mind 2nd hand.

You might be hard pressed to get a laptop in the UK with a Spanish keyboard.
Yes I should have said it will be bought in spain. I have bought a temporary 2nd hand lap top but it is so slow & I cannot get on with the key board, having never used anything except a spanish one & of course this one doesn't have an ñ + many of the symbols are in completely different places.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
check amazon refurbs .es or ,uk

they come in 3 conditions, acceptable, good or excellent
excellent are usually ones where someone has opened it, found a scratch and sent it back without even touching it, sometimes a third of the price. Ive just replaced my samsung £1500 , £450, 2 tiny tiny scratches top left corner or screen, everything else ws brand new, even still had the poly on it.
Ive bought a few like this, and the come with a repair 6 month warranty.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Hands up I know nothing of what you speak.
Tablets (almost always) android or iOS (apple products) run apps designed for that operating system.

Due to resource or other constraints, the apps are also constrained (not always), and don't work the way the desktop app would (has little or no constraint).

ChromeOS, Windows, OSX(Apple), Linux (Ubuntu, etc) run 'full function' browsers, so can utilise every feature on websites.

This is really oversimplified, but ask further if you want to. Personally, for flexibility, I'd stick to ChromeOS, Windows or OSX for a laptop replacement.

For photo editing of your wonderful travels, I'd shoot raw files, and use suitable apps on Windows/OSX/(less so) Ubuntu for editing.

For most, OSX or Windows offer the most flexibility and range of function.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I should have stated from the outset that I cannot get on with a tablet. Even on a lap top I use a mouse always. I cannot use the drag & click . I aloso can't work with a digital keyboard covering half the screen. Similar to using a phone.
I hate those virtual keyboards

I have the previous version of this. Excellent piece of kit.

Do serious work as a laptop, or read graphic novels as a tablet.

Bluetooth mouse etc!

Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 3 Chromebook| 11 inch 2K Touchscreen Laptop | Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c | 8GB RAM | 128GB eMMC | Chrome OS | Storm Grey USI Pen 2 (Renewed) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CZS4BDTL?tag=mhf04-21

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
You can get some real bargain 3rd hand stuff. My daily laptop is a measly Sony VAiO Intel i3 with.8Gb RAM, 32Gb SSD and 500Gb HDD. Running WIn 10. Runs all my CAD software, SkyGO, Netflix, iPlayer blah blah . Cost me £10 off eBay because the case had a tiny dink in it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I should have said it will be bought in spain. I have bought a temporary 2nd hand lap top but it is so slow & I cannot get on with the key board, having never used anything except a spanish one & of course this one doesn't have an ñ + many of the symbols are in completely different places.
You can set the keyboard to Spanish so the keys should then be where you expect them, it's then a case of getting stickers to put on the keys where the icon doesn't match the Spanish character, you can buy sets of stickers quite easily and cheaply.

We have a small Samsung laptop that we got many years ago specifically for holiday use, it was cheap as it had French characters on, but changing it to an English keyboard layout and using stickers meant that it was usable, in fact my hubby still uses it now and he hates laptops.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Laptops are hard to recommend. You need to try a few. If you are buying in Spain presumably they have stores like PC world so maybe try a few. Don't under spec and future proof a bit. Min 8gb ram, 16gb better, 256gb SSD, 512gb better, win 11 pro usually means a better quality machine than the consumer win 11 home models, min i5 processor or better or Ryzen 5 or better would be my recommendation. Then there is screen size. If you want a number pad you need 15.6" min but the 14" or even 13" are more portable. Best keyboards if you type a lot Lenovo ThinkPad.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Forgot to say Amazon was the best price and quick delivery

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
Since 2015
Carried a laptop around France for 3 weeks and never used it.
Used my Samsung Tablet for everything.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A tablet is okay for a lot of stuff but if you need to do work on documents, spreadsheets etc, you can't beat a laptop, especially as a typist.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
A tablet is okay for a lot of stuff but if you need to do work on documents, spreadsheets etc, you can't beat a laptop, especially as a typist.
Your skill set is way above mine Minxy 😃 . I do manage to use the "memo" pad facility for simple documents, lists etc and printing is no problem with my wifi linked printer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back