Recommendations for 4G HOME Router with proper-VOLTE, please (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Hi all,
I would be very grateful for recommendations for a 4G HOME Router with proper-VOLTE, please ..... As MANY of the reviews & specs I can find are either very vague ..OR.. merely pay "lip-service" to proper/working 4G VOLTE ..OR.. conflate/misuse VOIP/SIP functions with true/proper 4G VOLTE.

My current router is a Huawei E5186s-22a ..... Which is a CAT-6 (@300mbps max) ++ 4x RJ45 LAN ports ++ 1x USB2 Port ++ 1x RJ11 Telephone port which effectively works as a LIMITED 3G ONLY Voice service using a normal telephone (== Auto-Drops from 4G -to- 3G when making/receiving phone calls, then auto-reverts back to 4G).

I've had that router for donkey's years, and have been very happy with it, BUT the 3G telephone functionality will die when the 3G service is switched off soon.

Therefore, I'm hoping to pick the brains of the members to suggest some reasonably priced replacements, please ..... My "Must Have" minimum requirements/specs are :-

1) ... True/Proper 4G VOLTE on an RJ11 for using a standard home phone system for call in & out.

2) ... At least TWO RJ45 LAN ports capable of 1Gbps to match my existing home network .... Ideally THREE or FOUR Ports like my E5186.

3) ... At least CAT-6 specs & bands (or higher) at 4G ... Higher CAT-spec might be better for future, but I'm not greedy.

4) ... 5G capability is NOT essential, as in my very rural area I am likely to be dead before 5G works here.

5) ... A USB2 or 3 port for network printing (like my E5186) would be nice, but not essential.

6) ... The router being Powered via a 12v Jack & Brick would be nice, but not essential as I can make other plans for O.T.R. if needed.

7) ... A 2.4GHz Wi-fi with 8-or-more users (the E5186 has 32) would be fine .... I don't use really Wi-fi at home (just for the odd guest) and I'm not fussed about 5GHz Wi-fi due to the limited range.

8) ... Dual (or better) External Ariel connectors.

9) ... I'm NOT looking for or needing a "Top Spec" or all-bells-&-whistles router, as my needs & wants are fairly simple in reality, so I don't really want to spend a relative high amount for features that I'd probably never use ... I'm also not fussed whether I buy a New unit OR a decent Used or S/H unit.

Over the past many years, I've grown quite fond of the reliability of the Huawei Router brand and have looked at possibilities such as the B612 / B618 / B628 / & B715, but I can't find enough info to be sure they genuinely do have a TRUE 4G VOLTE functionality out of the box.
However, I'm not blinkered, and would be quite happy to hear opinions on Other Brands of TRUE 4G VOLTE routers. I think starquake may have some good views as to what might suit me.

MANY THANKS in advance, Bob

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Why not use WiFi calling on your phone, no need for home phone, that's what we do?

OP
OP
Bobbejaan
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Why not use WiFi calling on your phone, no need for home phone, that's what we do?

My mobile phone is a circa 10-11 year old Amplicomms Deaf-Phone ... JUST Phone & Text ... No camera, WiFi, or internet (== suits my non-social old-bugger personality ;) )

The VOLTE is to be able to use our multiple DECT cordless phones all around the house as we have done for years via the Huawei E5186 via 3G)

OP
OP
Bobbejaan
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Thanks to the thread-posters ..... I'm hopefully pretty much sorted now with a pair of cheap unlocked CAT-19 Huawei B818-263 units (One for Home and one for the Tardis) .... I just had to compromise by adding a 5-Port network switch to increase the B818 local ports from two to now five-total (was four-local on the E5186).

Also hopefully a decent speed increase from the old CAT-6 upto CAT-19 and better/real VOLTE instead of the MacGyvered 3G Fake-VOlte.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back