Rear view camera, can I rewire the reversing camera? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have a reversing camera that has the monitor over the rear view mirror. It only works when reverse gear engaged. But it would be useful as a camera to view a trailer and a bit of the road behind the van as it is quite a wide view lens.

I’m thinking disconnect whatever feed from the reversing lights and connect a permanent ignition switched supply. Without ripping out some back wall panelling I cannot see if there is a single or double signal cable coming out of the camera in order to power a second camera.

I have absolutely no idea when the 12v to the camera is fed from. Up front from the reversing light switch or from the reversing lights in the rear cluster. Or from the Canbus somewhere?

Someone may have done this before. Any ideas please. If not I guess a wired second camera system is the way to go but that is a lot of wiring to hide.

TIA

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
There is probably a connector six inches or so from your camera, maybe behind a grommet in a high level locker.

Talk to Reversing Cameras UK.
They have all sorts of dongles to fit extra cameras as you desire.

We had a single reversing camera, like yours. Converted to dual cameras, just like you want.

There is faffing involved but worth the grief.

Tony

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Yes quite easily done… remove the live feed from reversing lights and pick up a live from Ingnition so that when you start engine the camera auto comes on

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks both, bit the bullet and wired in a rear view camera that is higher resolution than the reverse one and now I can see a way back down the road and the top of my motorcycle when it’s on a trailer.

A lot of rear views - which is good - and when the sat nav and phone are working the dash looks like one out of a 747🤣

Appreciate the posts though. Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back