OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Ok, I have one more problem Lenny HB. No power to the van at all now as solar switched off and EHU unplugged and the alarm keeps going off and hazards lights are flashing. We have taken out the faulty leisure battery. Is it safe to plug back in to EHU having taken this battery out?

Last edited:

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Yes

Just turn the battery charger off on the panel

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
In the last 3 years I think I plugged mine in to house supply twice for a few hours but the batteries were still at 50% you would like to think your solar should keep batteries topped up when everything is switched off🤔🤔

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
In the last 3 years I think I plugged mine in to house supply twice for a few hours but the batteries were still at 50% you would like to think your solar should keep batteries topped up when everything is switched off🤔🤔
yes but we have taken the leisure battery out so have live charges with no battery to charge:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Won't that affect the engine battery?
Your alarms going off due to your vehicle battery is low by the sounds of it, most motorhomes have a parasitic drain meaning that your vehicle drops making everything fail solar normally maintenance leisure and vehicle batteries if you have a battery master fitted or a trickle charge from your solar controller

You need to make sure that your vehicle battery doesn't fail as it can mess up the air bag ecu which is then more money you need to pay out

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
yes but we have taken the leisure battery out so have live charges with no battery to charge:unsure:
This was in reference when you said you leave it on EHU all the time.
When not being used much in winter I normally go in the van every few weeks just to check it over and check battery levels.

Mind you last time I went in I had had a leak and water had blown the top of my table🤬🤬 lucky I checked as no doubt more rain and the ceiling and floor would also need replacing 😳😳

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
That's if he's put the solar fuse back in 🫣

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I am shit with electrics, have rebuilt cars bikes and bulldozers but anything more than basic In electric and I’m stumped🤔🤔
I am shit with electrics, have rebuilt cars bikes and bulldozers but anything more than basic In electric and I’m stumped🤔🤔
Us too, where is Lenny HB has he been kidnapped. We are in for a sleepless night. I have just said plug in to electrics to save the engine battery and the alarm going off and lights flashing all night.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
The electric hook up trickle charges the vehicle battery, this battery isn't the issue for you.

There loads of threads on this site about this and it will be fine, you stated that there was nil smell, over heating or bulging of the battery so you need to keep it charged if not the alarm will go off and more than likely the air bag ecu will fail

Whatever happens do not jump start you vehicle if you need to move the van, either put on electric hook up or trickle charge the vehicle battery in situe due to the air bag ecu issues

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
It seems that our leisure battery became over heated for some reason as it was at up to 14v and had a heavy sulphur smell coming from it. It is now back down to 12.6v we have taken it out of the van and Mr Gina M is confident it can be put back in and re-used as normal. It is 7 years old and shows no sign of any damage no leaks or swelling or smell of sulphur anymore, does anyone else agree. I googled it and was told no, it's a fire hazard:unsure:
It is a fire hazard and that battery should be disposed of, as it will be damaged, don’t take any risks, it’s not worth it😆

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thank you everyone for the help and advice you have given me. If I never have to think about batteries again it will be too soon:ROFLMAO: We have plugged in the electrics to the van for tonight to trickle charge the engine battery and hopefully stop the alarm from going off and the phone calls from the tracking company(y)

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Oh and tightarse Mr Gina M is going to buy a new leisure battery, he's still convinced there is another 7 years left in the old one though:rofl:

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Lenny obviously didn't know what to do so he kept quiet:giggler:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm around not point in repeating what others have said.
I hope you have disconnected the leisure battery before turning the charger back on.

You will get £10-£15 at the scrapie for the old battery.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
what is wrong with keeping your Moho on EHU permanently? With everything I’ve read in the motorhome manuals there is nothing to say disconnect the EHU, except obviously when you move the Moho.
So what reason would there be to disconnect the EHU. The batteries are safe as long as your chargers are working correctly, the chargers stop charging once the batteries are fully charged according to Fiat and now the service department at Lowdhams.

Personally I do regularly check everything, to make sure it’s warm, dry and free from condensation, I check the hot water and fill/empty both the fresh and grey water regularly, at least every 2 weeks. I sterilise the fresh water regularly too to keep the tank clean, and I use a quality cleaner to the grey tanks.
I also clean the Moho every month, even though it looks and is brand new, well a year old.
I also drive it every 4 weeks and turn the engine over weekly when it’s stood..

So am I doing something wrong?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
what is wrong with keeping your Moho on EHU permanently? With everything I’ve read in the motorhome manuals there is nothing to say disconnect the EHU, except obviously when you move the Moho.
Nothing really but not necessary if you have solar.
Unless you have Lithium then it is not a good idea.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Wasting water is all i could think of. Leave the tank empty and fill up when you go .
Having said that with all the rain we have had does it matter.😀🤷

OP
OP
Gina M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
So what reason would there be to disconnect the EHU. The batteries are safe as long as your chargers are working correctly, the chargers stop charging once the batteries are fully charged according to Fiat and now the service department at Lowdhams.

Personally I do regularly check everything, to make sure it’s warm, dry and free from condensation, I check the hot water and fill/empty both the fresh and grey water regularly, at least every 2 weeks. I sterilise the fresh water regularly too to keep the tank clean, and I use a quality cleaner to the grey tanks.
I also clean the Moho every month, even though it looks and is brand new, well a year old.
I also drive it every 4 weeks and turn the engine over weekly when it’s stood..

So am I doing something wrong?
I check out the van every day for mice and temperature etc. sometimes I just sit in it and admire the views across the fields which I can't see from the house and I always feel calm when I am in there.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I check out the van every day for mice and temperature etc. sometimes I just sit in it and admire the views across the fields which I can't see from the house and I always feel calm when I am in there.

After the battery fright you will need to sit in there a lot. :giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Look over the fields? You haven't had a couple of escaped battery hens in there have you? :LOL:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Gina, you need to wind out your awning, just to check it’s ok, put out a chair and small table, again to check they are working and test them for comfort, turn your fridge on, just to make sure it’s working, put a bottle of tonic in the fridge along with a bottle of gin, just to make sure the temperature is right, don’t forget to put ice cubes in the freezer, to make sure they stay frozen, then while you are at it you might as well make a nice gin and tonic, just to make sure you still like one, sit in the chair put your feet up enjoy the view and sip on that nice GnT… see I am useful after all…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Every component part of a motorhome systems is a potential point of failure. Fortunately after the initial flurry of faults created at the construction stage(warranty) things tend to settle down and after that it's usually age/usage related. Because it can go wrong it will at some stage (is that sods law) if not to you personally then to someone else with similar systems. That's why motorhomefun is such a great resource because invariably someone else has experienced a similar situation.
I know that the solar on my van will keep both batteries at the correct state of charge (even in the darkest days of winter) so never need to bother with being permanently hooked up thus eliminating several components that might fail.
Obviously not in this case if as seems likely the battery is bu§§ered but have you definitely ruled out the charger?

PS. our poppy llll It's never a good idea just to start an engine and let it tick over. Start it and drive off if you possibly can.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Glad you have it sorted Gina M checked van again yesterday, and retrieved the, now stale, bread from the wardrobe.
New battery and solar are working ok both batteries 100%
I check the motorhome in storage often its nice to sit in there and have a shot of the comfy seat for a change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back