Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I have a series 8 Ducato which has issues with the ADAS, but only when on the continent and not in the UK. Basically the emergency braking system and lane systems shut down, followed quickly by the speed sign system. This only happens when not driving on a dual carriageway, so I think it's a camera position or calibration issue. The systems reboot regularly and then have a dizzy fit and fail again.
It does not stop me driving, but is annoying to say the least, especially as there is no way to turn off the EBS system and anything else I turn off restarts on the next start of the engine...
Last year as soon as I got of the ferry in the UK everything worked as normal, so I think it would be a waste of time taking the van into Fiat UK for assessment - they would say that there is no fault...... And attempting to get it fixed in Spain/France may also have time issues.
So - I would like read the codes when it is in fault mode, then I have a better idea of what is happening. To to this, I need to get a decent Bluetooth dongle/scanner thingy to run AlphaOBD or something like that on my Android. It would be best via eBay so I can get it sent to my daughter in France and check while I am still south of the Channel.
Any help from fellow funsters is appreciated 👍.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You might have issues with newer Ducatos and the cheap ones won’t work.

I find the Fiat forum very helpful. You can probably find out exactly what you need then before you spend money.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
From the Ducato forum, I was recommended the Vgate car pro to work with Alfaobd. It works far better than I expected. You need to set the profile of the base vehicle and then you can view loads of data. You can do some adblue resets, which I'm sure will be needed at some point.
Somethings you can't do due to the secure gateway on the later Ducato's.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
What year is your duke, sgw in BCM?
I use Multiecuscan with laptop and Alfaobd on Android both with USB and
vGAte icar pro bt dongles. you may need a yellow adaptor as well.
Available from ebay uk or fr from same uk suppliers.
Screenshot (189).png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrudeandDall
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
What year is your duke, sgw in BCM?
I use Multiecuscan with laptop and Alfaobd on Android both with USB and
vGAte icar pro bt dongles. you may need a yellow adaptor as well.
Available from ebay uk or fr from same uk suppliers.View attachment 948230

It's 2022 build, we brought it in the summer. I have no idea if it has a sgw or not or even where the OBD port is located 🙃.
We're in Spain at the moment and will get a Vgate delivered to our daughter's in France. That way with Alpha OBD I should be able to see what is causing the problems with the AEB etc systems while over here, as they will no doubt not happen once we get back to the UK.
I have an old windows laptop at home so could also get multiECUscan later if needed.
I have to say that our Skoda Yeti is 7 years old with Euro6 and AdBlue etc and has never been an issue in all those years. It's a shame the Fiats apparently are problematic...

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
upto 2019 at least there was a fuse box on rhs of steering wheel bellow the cubyhole. 2 screws will remove it dont need to be as drastic as photo .obd2 port is in yellow circle.
Did you also buy the yellow adaptor?
obd2-location.jpg

OP
OP
TrudeandDall
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
upto 2019 at least there was a fuse box on rhs of steering wheel bellow the cubyhole. 2 screws will remove it dont need to be as drastic as photo .obd2 port is in yellow circle.
Did you also buy the yellow adaptor?
View attachment 949092
Thanks for the location photo - mine is exactly like that one.
I presume that no adaptor is needed for the Vgate Bluetooth adapter and that the yellow adapter is for mutiECUscan ?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks for the location photo - mine is exactly like that one.
I presume that no adaptor is needed for the Vgate Bluetooth adapter and that the yellow adapter is for mutiECUscan ?
lets start from beginning
To connect to obd2 port you need a code reader (eg obdlinkSX, obdlinkMX, Vgate Icar) to interpretate this some software eg Alfaobd on android or Multisecucan on Windows. These connected direct will access the engine codes. For Fiats to use other ecus you may need various coloured adapters (there are about 6 of them). A yellow adapter is sufficient for can based Ducatos. The adaptors swap the pin configurations around. (a fiat quirk?) To read the Body module BCM (BSI peugeot nomenclature) you must fit the yellow adaptor to the port then the reader (dongle) this is required for both multiecuscan and Alfaobd.
To preclude the need to swap adaptors about there is mutltiplexed version but serious money >£300. For VAG vehicles the VCDS reader doesnt require adaptors but is also serious money.

OP
OP
TrudeandDall
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
lets start from beginning
To connect to obd2 port you need a code reader (eg obdlinkSX, obdlinkMX, Vgate Icar) to interpretate this some software eg Alfaobd on android or Multisecucan on Windows. These connected direct will access the engine codes. For Fiats to use other ecus you may need various coloured adapters (there are about 6 of them). A yellow adapter is sufficient for can based Ducatos. The adaptors swap the pin configurations around. (a fiat quirk?) To read the Body module BCM (BSI peugeot nomenclature) you must fit the yellow adaptor to the port then the reader (dongle) this is required for both multiecuscan and Alfaobd.
To preclude the need to swap adaptors about there is mutltiplexed version but serious money >£300. For VAG vehicles the VCDS reader doesnt require adaptors but is also serious money.
Okay.. You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject as it's all completely new to me. But it's much more clear now. Thank you.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I have a series 8 Ducato which has issues with the ADAS, but only when on the continent and not in the UK. Basically the emergency braking system and lane systems shut down, followed quickly by the speed sign system. This only happens when not driving on a dual carriageway, so I think it's a camera position or calibration issue. The systems reboot regularly and then have a dizzy fit and fail again.
It does not stop me driving, but is annoying to say the least, especially as there is no way to turn off the EBS system and anything else I turn off restarts on the next start of the engine...
Last year as soon as I got of the ferry in the UK everything worked as normal, so I think it would be a waste of time taking the van into Fiat UK for assessment - they would say that there is no fault...... And attempting to get it fixed in Spain/France may also have time issues.
So - I would like read the codes when it is in fault mode, then I have a better idea of what is happening. To to this, I need to get a decent Bluetooth dongle/scanner thingy to run AlphaOBD or something like that on my Android. It would be best via eBay so I can get it sent to my daughter in France and check while I am still south of the Channel.
Any help from fellow funsters is appreciated 👍.
As it only happens when driving on right side isn't there some sort of setting to tell it you're abroad?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My guess is that the fault is something to do with radar that manages ACC etc. and it does not recognise or understand that you are now driving on the right, overtaking on the left and being overtaken on the right. The radar is the square block sensor in the centre of the grill / bumper. If you have lane assist etc. including the lights that light up in the door mirrors when a vehicle is close behind on either side then there will be radar hidden in each rear corner of the vehicle.
As someone has said above a vehicle of the VAG range would be easily (but not cheaply) scanned with VCDS but that does not work on other marques.

OP
OP
TrudeandDall
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
My guess is that the fault is something to do with radar that manages ACC etc. and it does not recognise or understand that you are now driving on the right, overtaking on the left and being overtaken on the right. The radar is the square block sensor in the centre of the grill / bumper. If you have lane assist etc. including the lights that light up in the door mirrors when a vehicle is close behind on either side then there will be radar hidden in each rear corner of the vehicle.
As someone has said above a vehicle of the VAG range would be easily (but not cheaply) scanned with VCDS but that does not work on other marques.
I am convinced it is related to the front cameras, which are located in the ADAS pod in the top central windscreen on a Ducato. (The same cameras that do not like it when the windscreen gets condensation on a cool night).
There is something just not right with the settings of the camera that covers the AEB system and as you point out, it gets confused when I drive in the right hand side. Although it is happy when there is a hard shoulder, even of sorts to the right, as on most continental dual carriageways.
So, once I can get a look at any fault codes, I am hopeful that this will be confirmed.
The only reassurance is that once I get back to the UK, the systems will be happy once again and function with our malfunctioning....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back