Re map horrors

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am thinking of have my fiat 2021 fiat 2.2 with the 9 speed auto re mapped . I hear various positive things about the benefits of re mapping .
Has anyone had any nightmares or issues after they have had their van re mapped ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I've always thought the whole industry a bit of smoke and mirror. I wonder how much the effect of a remap is just a placebo, someone tells you it will be better, charges you loads of money and you convince yourself it is. You really believe it. You believe it so much, you'll rush on here to tell me I'm Sooo wrong '\

Just like someone I know, a sensible and intelligent chap who, no matter what I said, insisted he got an extra 5 to 10 mpg by aligning fuel molecules using some expensive special earth magnets he bought clamped around his fuel line. ..
Call me cynical as well.

Manufacturers spend a lot of money on making their vehicles as good as they can be. If a simple software update can offer so much better power and MPG, then they would have already done it. If they haven’t, there will be a good reason.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Call me cynical as well.

Manufacturers spend a lot of money on making their vehicles as good as they can be. If a simple software update can offer so much better power and MPG, then they would have already done it. If they haven’t, there will be a good reason.
An auto engine development pal told me that many manufacturers' production engines are 'detuned' to produce high mpg and low emissions for marketing purposes. 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Call me cynical as well.

Yes there is a good reason, it’s called emissions

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
What astounded me, was, we went from a fiat 2.3 130bhp on 41250kg Hymer, which averaged about 22mpg. To a 3850kg 2.3 150bhp auto which does about 28mpg. Incidentally weighing both hymers they weighed about the same on the road.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
An auto engine development pal told me that many manufacturers' production engines are 'detuned' to produce high mpg and low emissions for marketing purposes. 🤷‍♂️

Yes there is a good reason, it’s called emissions
But increased emissions only happen with increased power, what else does the manufacturer change with increased power?

Bigger clutch? Turbo? Different sensors? Driveshafts?

I get it, but I don’t think it’s all positive.

Most stock engines have a few differences, the variable vane turbo on the 150BHP Fiat for instance where the 130BHP has a standard turbo.

I am not saying it doesn’t work, just that you have to weigh up what might break or be put under strain when it’s done.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
That’s still not bad Lenny . I think the Carthago are possibly a bit heavier due to the build quality . I spoke with a chap with Iveco Carthago . He told me he was getting 20 mpg if he was lucky but mostly late teens . Ouch 😩
Our first trip to Spain was average 15 mpg Iveco but I wanted to get through France ASAP 🙂

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That’s still not bad Lenny . I think the Carthago are possibly a bit heavier due to the build quality . I spoke with a chap with Iveco Carthago . He told me he was getting 20 mpg if he was lucky but mostly late teens . Ouch 😩
But it's running 700-800 kg lighter than the last Hymer.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
What astounded me, was, we went from a fiat 2.3 130bhp on 41250kg Hymer, which averaged about 22mpg. To a 3850kg 2.3 150bhp auto which does about 28mpg. Incidentally weighing both hymers they weighed about the same on the road.
22mpg is good for a 41 and a quarter ton vehicle 😀

I average 20mpg downhill with the wind blowing with me 😁

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Beautiful van …..I am turning green with envy . We love the Carthago! We may even treat ourselves . It would have to be the 180 bhp though 👍
UK no option 180 HP & 9 speed auto standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
That was a typo meant 9 speed which I have, love it.
Yet to see a Motorhome with the 8 speed..
Yes I got the 9 speed , we love it too . We are up at the show this week but I think all the new 2025 Carthago models will have the 8 speed . 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back