Rattles and Squeaks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Does anyone know if there are any instructions for the adjustment of the drop down bed locking mechanism. When driving off motorway we gar an irritating squeak and rattle from the offside off the drop down bed. This is in an Aclass Hymer but we had similar in the previous A class Carado. Both beds are manual lowering.
The dealer said just stuff some foam in when you close it. That’s a very imprecise instruction and could lead to seal or joint separation in the wall if too much is used or in the wrong place!
Don’t want to start playing around with the mechanism without clear instructions as could easily make it worse.
🤞

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Presumably you leave the duvet and pillows on the bed (and wrap the ladder inside too) so there is "some foam" in it when closed. He was just getting rid of you. Our Pilote bed squeaks from time to time but, on French roads, might be better! No adjustment that I know of but watching with interest.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On my last van had same thing, I loosened all the bolts and screws on the mechanism and sprayed with silicone spray.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Presumably you leave the duvet and pillows on the bed (and wrap the ladder inside too) so there is "some foam" in it when closed. He was just getting rid of you. Our Pilote bed squeaks from time to time but, on French roads, might be better! No adjustment that I know of but watching with interest.
No Duvet and no pillows but otherwise yes! 😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We have our over-cab bed packed away with two firm plumpy cushions right at the very front (visible) edge to ensure sufficient packing is in place against the ceiling. Then we have an inflatable wedge bag which is pumped up on one corner to brace the bed against the fixed media cupboard (Carthago model). In most situations, this stops the irritating squeaky, clattery rattles that can occur from around the hanging bracket pins it sits on when latched shut. I have also added duct-tape to the pins so it's never metal on metal contacting. Largely works for us, until someone decides to unlatch the bed to have a poke around and then I have to spend time sorting out the best placement for the cushions and air-wedge again :rolleyes: Won't ever be buying another van with an unused overhead cab bed again ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have our over-cab bed packed away with two firm plumpy cushions right at the very front (visible) edge to ensure sufficient packing is in place against the ceiling. Then we have an inflatable wedge bag which is pumped up on one corner to brace the bed against the fixed media cupboard (Carthago model). In most situations, this stops the irritating squeaky, clattery rattles that can occur from around the hanging bracket pins it sits on when latched shut. I have also added duct-tape to the pins so it's never metal on metal contacting. Largely works for us, until someone decides to unlatch the bed to have a poke around and then I have to spend time sorting out the best placement for the cushions and air-wedge again :rolleyes: Won't ever be buying another van with an unused overhead cab bed again ::bigsmile:
That's why we had cupboards instead of bed in our new van. Used drop down bed twice in 5 years on last one.
1000014576.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
That's why we had cupboards instead of bed in our new van. Used drop down bed twice in 5 years on last one.
View attachment 966877
Three+ years in and the drop-down bed has only ever been slept in over a single weekend. The mattress is still wrapped in the factory plastic, and it's highly unlikely it will ever get slept in again ..... we brought our C-Tourer in the year after the pandemic, and availability of models was scant. I doubted we'd use it when we committed to the purchase, and now sorely miss the extra cupboarding it would have afforded us, not to mention the headroom too :confused: They do say you need to buy three motorhomes to find the right one for you .....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back