Rapido A Class Difficulty Filling With Diesel (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years
I’m on my second new A class Rapido the first was a 9 series my new one is a 8 series. I’m experiencing the same problem I had with the first and I can’t believe I’m just unlucky it has to be a bad design fault.
When filling with diesel it keeps on clicking as if reached full. What it was with my first MH, the fuel enters and goes into a sort of concertina hose under the passenger footwell then on into the tank, this concertina hose appears to be too long therefore has a bend in the middle so the fuel backs up and the sensor on the pump thinks it’s full so it cuts off, I have to keep moving the nozzle into a different position and restart.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I’m on my second new A class Rapido the first was a 9 series my new one is a 8 series. I’m experiencing the same problem I had with the first and I can’t believe I’m just unlucky it has to be a bad design fault.
When filling with diesel it keeps on clicking as if reached full. What it was with my first MH, the fuel enters and goes into a sort of concertina hose under the passenger footwell then on into the tank, this concertina hose appears to be too long therefore has a bend in the middle so the fuel backs up and the sensor on the pump thinks it’s full so it cuts off, I have to keep moving the nozzle into a different position and restart.
me...yup. I find turning my hand anticlockwise to about 2 oclock sorts it

OP
OP
Captain Lloyd

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years
me...yup. I find turning my hand anticlockwise to about 2 oclock sorts it
Thanks for the reply I knew I couldn’t be the only one I hope I get a lot of confirmations so I can go back to the dealer to show them.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I have the same problem. Can sometimes take forever but also a few pumps can be temperamental, I’m sure their female 😂🤣😂👊

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Not totally relevant, I had a problem filling up from a fuel can. The A Class filler cap was attached to the standard van position but the wider A Class bodywork meant my filler would not reach, I now carry a shirt length of hose and a funnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am sure the dip in the hose before it reaches the tank is to prevent fuel from being syphoned out. The fix is to shorten the hose between the tank and filler cap

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I’ve decided it’s the van telling me “you really don’t want to do this, look how much it’s costing you”

OP
OP
Captain Lloyd

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years
I’ve decided it’s the van telling me “you really don’t want to do this, look how much it’s costing you”
I know what you mean I filled up in Ireland a couple of days ago cost me €150 I’ve never spent that much before

Jul 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886F
Have a similar problem with my Rapido 886F 2023model! After a lot of trying according to advices regarding angle on the filling pump nozzle etc. decided to use a camera to see what's going in there! In the bottom in addition to 2 x 90 degree bends is there a diesel lock similar to a water lock in the sink. The diesel sits just in the end of the hose entering into the tank! This to my opinion restrict the diesel ref. volume/speed quickly building up and block the filling! Filling from a petrol jug is working fine (slow filling), but a regular gas station pump is very difficult! My first filling was blocked straight away including a noisy petrol pump resulting in a new start up with the credit card etc. According to the dealer is the answer from Rapido "it is like it is".

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have a similar problem with my Rapido 886F 2023model! After a lot of trying according to advices regarding angle on the filling pump nozzle etc. decided to use a camera to see what's going in there! In the bottom in addition to 2 x 90 degree bends is there a diesel lock similar to a water lock in the sink. The diesel sits just in the end of the hose entering into the tank! This to my opinion restrict the diesel ref. volume/speed quickly building up and block the filling! Filling from a petrol jug is working fine (slow filling), but a regular gas station pump is very difficult! My first filling was blocked straight away including a noisy petrol pump resulting in a new start up with the credit card etc. According to the dealer is the answer from Rapido "it is like it is".
:hiya:and welcome.
There is a tip in a post above
I am sure the dip in the hose before it reaches the tank is to prevent fuel from being syphoned out. The fix is to shorten the hose between the tank and filler cap

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I had th same issue with my 9048 although I found that if I turned the pump nozzle in various directions I could eventually get it to fill, It wasn't always an issue, ok on some pumps but not on others.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
This used to happen on my Rapido 10 series, in the end i got fed up with it and took it back to dealer where they had quite a few Rapido's in with the same issue, and now it's a lot better. It's not something people should be putting up with on new vehicles and certainly not from dealers saying "it is what it is", it can be fixed.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Our 2005 a class decided to spit diesel all over me last fill up. The previous owner warned me about it, wish I’d paid more attention 😂

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Nothing untoward with our 2020 8096df when filling up, other than some pumps a bit slow and seem to take ages to fill up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back