Ramp "safety" (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top.
Having seen others drive off ramp and flown solo at TT last year I found it quite exciting using our Milenco Wedge XL.
So I've added a "Stop".
Bigger than needed but I had 25mm marine ply and 40mm screws so needed to double up. 3 screws fixing up through ramp and additional 2 down from top, angled. A little fettling to shape, I need to sharpen plough plane.

View attachment 722721 View attachment 722722
handy idea :)

PS .... "I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top." ....
Thule Ramps have a stop ;)
51IlGt71wnL._AC_.jpg

These are the ones I have (guess I got lucky :) )

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
handy idea :)

PS .... "I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top." ....
Thule Ramps have a stop ;)
51IlGt71wnL._AC_.jpg

These are the ones I have (guess I got lucky :) )
As commented earlier in thread, we had stepped ramps but step too often not level, maybe more an issue with 8m motorhome.
Maybe should have written "could not find constant gradient ramp with stop at top".

Apr 3, 2022
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
8 years
If I'm travelling solo I use a Safetyeye remote camera, set up to look at the higher ramp so I can watch on my iphone and know when I need to stop. The camera is also useful for tight parking at home etc

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
If I'm travelling solo I use a Safetyeye remote camera, set up to look at the higher ramp so I can watch on my iphone and know when I need to stop. The camera is also useful for tight parking at home etc
That got me thinking - you could put your iPhone on the ground with the camera facing the ramp and monitor the video feed on you Apple Watch!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A fella regularly visits a site I go..jumps out with his Ryobi drill and jack's up his scissor jacks to the rear of his mh...reckons it makes it real steady in the wind. I suggested he bolt hem direct he said nope..because of ground clearance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A fella regularly visits a site I go..jumps out with his Ryobi drill and jack's up his scissor jacks to the rear of his mh...reckons it makes it real steady in the wind. I suggested he bolt hem direct he said nope..because of ground clearance.
I bought some off eBay to do exactly that, I'm going to mount them upside down so they scissor downwards. I just need to get my butt in gear and do it! 😄

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
I bought some off eBay to do exactly that, I'm going to mount them upside down so they scissor downwards. I just need to get my butt in gear and do it! 😄
I'd be interested in images & feedback once you've got you "but in gear".
Thought, would they be best fitted with baseplate down left to right.
If front wheels still on the ground then you stable fore and aft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Not see them being used, why are scissor jacks not used on motorhome?
Used on caravans!
No emergency, quick getaway but how often is that really needed.

View attachment 723372 View attachment 723373
When levelling front to back, a caravan is like a seesaw. It pivots from a central axis and therefore jacking up either side is not carrying the weight of the caravan, merely shifting the weight along the axis. Jacking the corner of a caravan increases the stability. A motorhome has no pivot point as it stands square on 4 wheels. To raise the front or the rear means lifting the axel weight. A scissor jack will do this but generally decreases the stability of the motorhome and can make it more wobbly. Some motorhomes are legs that can be lowered. But they ca only be used to increase the stability and not alter the level.

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
When levelling front to back, a caravan is like a seesaw. It pivots from a central axis and therefore jacking up either side is not carrying the weight of the caravan, merely shifting the weight along the axis. Jacking the corner of a caravan increases the stability. A motorhome has no pivot point as it stands square on 4 wheels. To raise the front or the rear means lifting the axel weight. A scissor jack will do this but generally decreases the stability of the motorhome and can make it more wobbly. Some motorhomes are legs that can be lowered. But they ca only be used to increase the stability and not alter the level.
There are multiple systems advertised/demostrated that Auto-Leveling systems
E.G:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fitting them that way would mean that attaching them securely to the underside would be very difficult with only a small connection and I wouldn't be happy with that, doing it using the base plate will ensure that they can't drop off and I'll be adding a 'foot' so they are stable.

I won't be using them to lift the MH just to stabilise it to prevent wobble.

1678182291992.png

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive seen as many people drive over the ones with stops as without, the ramp still can flip up when you hit the stop!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ive seen as many people drive over the ones with stops as without, the ramp still can flip up when you hit the stop!
I suppose the issue is that they assume that the raised bit will stop them so drive up too far and/or too fast, I like the squeaky toy method.😄 ... Might have to find some of DuxDeluxe's rubber relations! 😆

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think they're only going to make a big difference to people in vans with a big rear overhang and rear beds seeing some action!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think they're only going to make a big difference to people in vans with a big rear overhang and rear beds seeing some action!
Ever driven a van on a Sprinter chassis? Levelling was not much of an issue but every time you moved the van would wobble

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have Kon-Tiki Sport on Alko, as far as I'm concerned stable but due to 8.1m levelling is the issue.
We would choose which way around to park the van as really only the fronts could be ramped as the rear is twin wheels each side. After a few years of dithering finally went ahead with E&P’s last year. No regrets. Milenco quattro ramps swapped it a friend for a couple of bottles of wine

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Last time they were posted, they were deemed unsuitable for motorhomes, due to the weight. Are they a redesigned version?
Dunno, I’ve had mine for a few years but the camper plus version I have are specifically for campers/motorhomes.

They are expensive, but I’ve had no issues and I’ve used them on gravel, admittedly i lay 5mm rubber mats with the same footprint down first if I suspect sharp objects.

CCEB2CD4-CF0B-4DEB-98CF-753E4FFF978C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
Nice fix.
We were sitting in Padstow harbour last year on a hot day, so grabbed a cornet. Our friends with us have a little dog. I noticed he kept tugging relentlessly at the lead driving the friends mad. I soon realised that the dogs attention had been attracted to a shop that sold all the usual beach stuff including squeaky toys which seemingly every passer by had to give test squeeze to. We were about 20 yards away, but could hear it, for the dog with it's hearing being much acuter it must have been torture.
It did get me thinking though, and Mrs BBF thought I was so kind when I went off and bought 3 of them, one of which I gave to the dog straight away, and he set about destroying it with a gusto. "Are you saving the rest for later" she asked, " no I said, their for me". Which had them all chuckling.
Once home the plan went into action. I cut a short section of heavy duty inner tube and popped the squeaky toy inside of it.
Now the test, set the ramps out, decide how far you want to travel up the ramps, set the squeaky toy down, ease forward, and hey ho, easily audible when it's run over. No more craning out of the window, or frantic arm waving for Mrs BBF. Works for me if not everyone, nice and light as well.
Mike.
I honestly thought there was a punchline coming…. But have to say what a cracking idea. Off to pet shop later! Thanks

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I honestly thought there was a punchline coming…. But have to say what a cracking idea. Off to pet shop later! Thanks
Go to pound shop 🐶

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Never seen the need for ramps, never used them. Never had issues with the fridge either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back