Rabies Vaccine and EU passport (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We're planning 3 months in Spain and want to get passports for our dogs. Will the Spanish vet be happy with the rabies vaccine given by our vet here? If they need a new vaccine on Spain is it okay to have another injection within a few months?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I think it depends on the vet. They may insist on doing the vaccination again.
I understand that this poses no danger to your dog.
We have a Spanish rescue dog whose passport shows him to have had three rabies vaccinations before he was 12 months old, and he's perfectly fit and healthy.
I'm sure that the Spanish vet will be able to answer all your questions. In our experience, Spanish vets are very competent and caring.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
No danger from getting a second rabies a few weeks or months after the first. In the early Pets Passport days (? 20 years ago?) when we were blood testing after the first vaccine and giving a second jab if the blood test didn't register a high enough titre we never had any problems from the second jab.

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Personally I would not get another rabies vaccine within a short time. Over vaccination can cause so much problems in later years, however there are those who agree and those who disagree with that. I will be waiting closer to the time our girl will need a booster, near the 3 year mark and then get a passport made but unlikely to get it in Spain. Many vets there give the 1 year rabies jab which is the exact same thing as the 3 year jab you can get elsewhere.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I would advise that you get the vaccination done again at the same time you obtain the passsport. The entry looks so much better if the sticker from the vaccine vial is attached to the passport record. The cost is minimal, only €30 for us in Spain last week, and there’s no risk to the dog. One thing to make sure of though is that the vet administers a 3 year vaccine as often in Spain they give a 1 year vaccine which isn’t of much use for a British dog unless you go away at the same time every year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back