Quick question regarding my fridge. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Which fuel is likely to cool my fridge quicker from start-up?
Gas? Or Mains hook-up?
Many thanks
Alan MonaOwner
My instinct would be to say gas - but there will be some properly knowledgeable bods replying soon. I’m just registering my interest in the topic!

OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
My instinct would be to say gas - but there will be some properly knowledgeable bods replying soon. I’m just registering my interest in the topic!
Yep, like your reasoning. I am going tomorrow and have benefit of both gas or electricity. Additionally I could leave gas running on the move too I believe which would help.
👍

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Gas
Most van fridges are primary gas with the electric added on.
Ours works fine on electric up to about 31c outside temperature then it needs to be on gas.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Mine is 3 way and will use 12V from the alternator while driving and then changes to gas when stopped. If plugged in via EHU it will use that, but have not tried that yet. Completely automatic, no need to change anything. So far it's working fine and is very cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The day before going away I put mine on 230v in the drive.
Whilst driving 12v will just about maintain the previously-cooled temperature.
When away I use gas (Gaslow refillables) which is the most efficient source.
We do the same and usually add a couple of bottles of frozen milk in the fridge. That tends to keep the temperature low.

OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Mine is 3 way and will use 12V from the alternator while driving and then changes to gas when stopped. If plugged in via EHU it will use that, but have not tried that yet. Completely automatic, no need to change anything. So far it's working fine and is very cold.
Mine is 3 way but not auto. I need to select the input manually on the front panel. I think that it may stay cooler on gas. As I am stopping in a location without EHU, I am thinking gas during my time there....

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Yep, like your reasoning. I am going tomorrow and have benefit of both gas or electricity. Additionally I could leave gas running on the move too I believe which would help.
👍
Personally I wouldn’t drive with gas on. It should run on alternator power whilst driving. Put some very cold/frozen items in there to get the temperature down as per maison Have a great adventure!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
At Hereford rally, the lovely Two on Tour, Paul, explained that the fridge works by drawing heat out of the things inside so it wont work when empty.
I don’t bother to switch on before leaving home. I just put in 3 or 4 of those freezer blocks from home freezer and leave overnight. Then last thing, I put in all the stuff I am taking out of the home fridge/freezer and drive away using 12v until at destination.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The fridge will give the best performance on gas and normally cheaper to run than on mains electric.
Modern fridges often work as well on 12v as they do on mains electric so if you have plenty of Lithium & solar and the suns out worth running on 12v for a few hours a day.

Sep 2, 2020
St Leonards, Ringwood, Hants UK
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea P68
Exp
Coachbult, caravan 50+yrs
The fridge will give the best performance on gas and normally cheaper to run than on mains electric.
Modern fridges often work as well on 12v as they do on mains electric so if you have plenty of Lithium & solar and the suns out worth running on 12v for a few hours a day.
You can’t normally use the fridge on 12 V, unless the engine is running and switches on the relay from the alternator.
Lenny, perhaps you could advise how you bypass the relay?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can’t normally use the fridge on 12 V, unless the engine is running and switches on the relay from the alternator.
Lenny, perhaps you could advise how you bypass the relay?
Every van I have had can be run on the hab battery when the engine isn't running. Fairly standard on German vans.

You just need to wire a changeover relay to the high power supply to the fridge, relay common connected to the fridge, Normally closed contact connected to the leisure battery via a suitable fuse & Normally open contact to the starter battery, relay switched by D+.
Really just a case of swapping the existing fridge relay for a changeover relay and adding a wire to the leisure battery.

You can then make use of the S+ terminal to control the fridge. I did that in my last van using a Votronic solar controller that gave a signal to the fridge when the batteries were charged and plenty of solar.
New van I'm using Victron so I'm using the relay in the BMV 712 battery monitor to switch the fridge, I will also fit a timer so the fridge runs on 12v in blocks so as to give the batteries a bit of relief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back