Qs re HUD GPS speedometer displays. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
There's a plethora of such plug ins on Ebay/ Amazon, myriads of options. Up to 4 x USB plug ins and also a centre voltage display, + socket doublers/triples.
Mike.

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
Since 2015
prb Thanks. We learn every day, maybe because we have no USB sockets in our MH.

On the dash all we have is 12v cigarette lighter sockets.

Can one buy an adapter which plugs into the 12v and has output of 5v.?

Sorry for basic questions, but I have never had to deal with anything other than 12v..

EDIT Coincidently we have just bought an adapter which plugs into 12v cigarette socket and has 2x12v socket outlets.

It also has 3x other sockets - two USB style, one marked 2.4A( which by my calculation at 12v input = 5v output) so that solves my original question.

The other two sockets are a USB style marked QC3.0 and a smaller socket marked Type-C. What are those for please?

Many thanks

Geoff
nicholsong the one marked 2.4A is probably a USB Type A socket, which used to be the generic USB supply socket. 2.4A will give you up to 12 watts - Power (Watts)=Volts x Amps.
Type C is becoming the norm, as a Type C cable can have the same connector at both ends and can supply a (slightly) higher current. Most modern mobile telephones have a Type C power connection.
Type C QC connector can provide an "intelligent" power supply to power the like of some laptops. Personally I wouldn't trust the QC from a cheap Chinese import for anything other than a tablet or phone

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong the one marked 2.4A is probably a USB Type A socket, which used to be the generic USB supply socket. 2.4A will give you up to 12 watts - Power (Watts)=Volts x Amps.
Type C is becoming the norm, as a Type C cable can have the same connector at both ends and can supply a (slightly) higher current. Most modern mobile telephones have a Type C power connection.
Type C QC connector can provide an "intelligent" power supply to power the like of some laptops. Personally I wouldn't trust the QC from a cheap Chinese import for anything other than a tablet or phone

So that 2.4A socket is 5v, yes?

The cable provided fits that socket.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
This advice is too late for OP , but this may get read by others. Options covered include OBD connection to a display and use of a GPS phone and ap (OBD devices not liked because of injecting sh1t on canbus). I have used a combination of OBD BT dongle and android phone using the Diagnotic ap Torque pro to display speed (both obd and/or GPS) and a couple of other PID's. I now dont use this method because i always use MES or Alfaobd so use an old Andoid phone for GPS speed.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all the replies. Most were connected to OBD, whereas in the title I had specified GPS, which is what most are now on offer on internet.
I would think that it only uses the OBD connection for 12v power and perhaps the water temperature function. The speed will be derived from its GPS receiver.

I also suspect that the manual that was posted downloaded to your device automatically and you will find in a download folder. That is what it did for me anyway.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I would think that it only uses the OBD connection for 12v power and perhaps the water temperature function. The speed will be derived from its GPS receiver.

I also suspect that the manual that was posted downloaded to your device automatically and you will find in a download folder. That is what it did for me anyway.
My connection is USB at 5v and only GPS.

My manual is in paper form, albeit tiny print, but at least good English for a China product.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

Mine wasn’t. It got the speed from the OBD. Advantage was it worked in tunnels, and showed other info but as mentioned above stopped my cruise control working.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I tried one connected to the OBD port, but then I kept getting engine management errors. Now I use a simple gps one which is plugged into one of the fuses which turns off when the ignition is off. I use a Nextbase hardware kit which converts the 12v to 5v, and an adaptor to convert to the correct USB type connector. Yes it goes off in tunnels and when stop-start operates, but that is never really an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Just taken delivery of mine and it reads exactly the same as the speedo which I know is incorrect. At 60 on my gps it shows 66 the same as the speedo at 66 . I don’t believe it.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

I guess that I was wrong then, sorry folks.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
On my OBD unit (that when connected also generated errors on the dash) the speed was taken from the OBD but you could dial in an offset to correct it, along with a correction for the revs. Shame it made the van electronics go wobble as it was a handy device.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The one I bought can be adjusted. I have it set to read a couple of mph over to ensure I'm on the right side of the law.

Over what speed limit?

In France the speed limits change so frequently that one would be forever stopping to change the warning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I am happy to report that the HUD GPS I chose has been installed and is working, thanks to the help I got on this thread.

It will save a lot of squinting or having to ask Basia to read the speed off the SatNav on the phone.
It will be interesting as to how it compares against any other gps toy that you have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back