Qs re HUD GPS speedometer displays. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am coming to you guys for information because here in Poland it seems impossible to find shops that sell these and they are only available on-line.

However, a lot of the on-line information does not say how power is supplied, battery or cigarette socket, nor length of cable supplied.

They also do not describe method of attachment. I assume most are suction pads, but those are useless on our facia which is dimpled, so the suction pad would have to be on the windscreen, which is 1.4m from my eye, thus the question about cable length.

PLEASE would you people who have these devices explain how they are attached and powered. If cable what length cable was supplied.

TIA

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I have mine plugged into the OBD socket which also provides power. It’s on my dash, with blu tack 😀

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I had/have a OBD port one but when in use it stopped my cruise control working, so have swapped to a simple GPS unit which is usb powered, and is mounted on top of the steering wheel cowl.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
If using OBD socket I recommend also buying a short switched OBD extension cable so you can easily switch it off and save unplugging it. I truly love my HUD and hate my dash speedo. However, I find that (possibly) my smart alternator and other electrical gubbins can very occasionally cause hiccups. I can quickly switch it off and on again in the time-honoured IT fashion or just switch it off at night. I’m guessing that it’s voltage edge-sensitive?

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
I use an app on my phone. it can be set for mph or kmh and gives trip distance and time elapsed.
Not HUD but very clear.

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
I had/have a OBD port one but when in use it stopped my cruise control working, so have swapped to a simple GPS unit which is usb powered, and is mounted on top of the steering wheel cowl.
Yes, I also found that problem. Switching it off and on again (switched extension cable) helps as does switching it on before the van's ignition self-check. And turning the engine off and on again (while stopped!!!). I like it so much that I put up with the inconvenience. Mine also works on GPS but I haven’t investigated that for accuracy yet.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I also have a powerful HUD fixed to the Dash with Velcro which reflects on the windscreen at eye level that is powered from the OBD so is an actual speedo not a GPS one but I also have an old mobile phone with a free app called HUD which sits in a normal heater vent spider thing which is from a GPS signal for when the sun is so bright that I can’t see the reflection on the windscreen.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Mine, like most is OBD powered and lead long enough to reach under dashboard, up side under trim and sits in front of me on its own sticky pad. Switches off / on with ignition. Has dashboard speed so do need to compensate slightly for actual speed. Only snag if I use EHU it remains on and bright.
Car Universal HUD Head Up Display... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PWDNNLB?tag=mhf04-21

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Can't remember off hand, and we're away in the van at the moment, so can't have a fiddle., seem to think it was already set to mph.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I use an app on my phone. it can be set for mph or kmh and gives trip distance and time elapsed.
Not HUD but very clear.
I also use a phone aPP it has HUD available but not tried it on my new phone yet but on my older phones the screen was too dim to really be readable in bright sunlight

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Instruction manual for mine attached.

Attachments

• M7-user-Manual.pdf
    347.1 KB · Views: 37

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Thanks for all the replies. Most were connected to OBD, whereas in the title I had specified GPS, which is what most are now on offer on internet.
Although I don’t use this, the one I have states you can use GPS instead.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Got one from Halfords 5+ years ago like this one. Worked perfectly for 2 years through the OBD port on our Carthago Fiat unit. Then it went yampy, display wouldn't work then OK for a while... until it lit up the ABS & Traction light on the Van. Ignition power cycled all good until a random time later and Christmas tree again on the vans dash. Took me a while to work out it was the HUD causing the issue, disconnected the HUD and the van has been fine since. Been on the lookout for a good GPS unit ever since..

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I looked at the many on offer on the internet nearly all were for delivery in the second half August and we are leaving on 15th, so I have ordered one which should arrive next Thur or Fri.

Old-fashioned me thought I could go into an electronics shop, see a selection and choose one. NO!! Even enquiries around the motor trade here said they are only available on internet. Is that just Poland?

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
When I looked at the many on offer on the internet nearly all were for delivery in the second half August and we are leaving on 15th, so I have ordered one which should arrive next Thur or Fri.

Old-fashioned me thought I could go into an electronics shop, see a selection and choose one. NO!! Even enquiries around the motor trade here said they are only available on internet. Is that just Poland?
Sadly no and not just Poland. The internet (and bloody Amazon) has killed retail sales on this kind of stuff and lots of other things. I was a retailer for 25 years+ and it contributed to me packing it all in as all we got was "can you match this price", I responded "no and they can't match our knowledge of what we sell and the support we give".
Last year we needed a new washing machine and I like to touch and feel before purchase, Into the local Curry we went and went OK we like this Samsung unit and wanted to potentially take it away, "sorry sir none in stock, it be delivered from our warehouse for an extra £25 on top of the ticket price". I said "I want to take it away at the price that it is advertised for, not have it delivered at extra cost", the reply..."sorry sir that isn't an option we offer anymore"..I was fuming that they were showing a price that it couldn't be purchased for... Welcome to modern retiling with drop shipments and stock kept at the branch... it sucks!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Check post #3 . I got one from Amazon the next day.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Check post #3 . I got one from Amazon the next day.

Shipping from UK gets stuck in Polish customs now for at least 2 weeks even when there is no duty to pay.

No delivery from Polish sellers was short enough except one which I have ordered.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
HELP!

My chosen HUD GPS Speedometer arrived this morning.

The first item in the instructions tells one to not use a supply more than 5v !!!!

Where does one find a 5v supply in a vehicle?

This was not mentioned in the product description on-line.

It occurred to me that this was a typo error for 15v, but it is repeated 3 times in the instructions. It is made in China, of course, but the rest of the instructions are in good English.

Can anyone please shed light on this problem?

TIA

Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
I had one connected to the old van through the ODB port and the van started reporting errors such as hill start failure. Turns out it was the HUD gadget injecting errors on the CANBUS so I'd use it with caution if I were you. I'd stick to the GPS mode personally.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We just use and old phone with gps app showing speed in large numbers filling screen. The phone doesn’t have a sim in it and is not connected to a network. We use an air vent holder.
Something like this but not this particular one as not an apple phone.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A USB power supply is 5v.

prb Thanks. We learn every day, maybe because we have no USB sockets in our MH.

On the dash all we have is 12v cigarette lighter sockets.

Can one buy an adapter which plugs into the 12v and has output of 5v.?

Sorry for basic questions, but I have never had to deal with anything other than 12v..

EDIT Coincidently we have just bought an adapter which plugs into 12v cigarette socket and has 2x12v socket outlets.

It also has 3x other sockets - two USB style, one marked 2.4A( which by my calculation at 12v input = 5v output) so that solves my original question.

The other two sockets are a USB style marked QC3.0 and a smaller socket marked Type-C. What are those for please?

Many thanks

Geoff

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back