Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
14 years with an RV
We have camped since we were kids. Tents, trailer tents, a few small motorhomes, and since retiring, a 31ft Itasca Sunrise, with slide out, a fifth wheel trailer with slide out, towed with a Dodge Ram pick up, 44ft total length, and have just sold our 31ft 3 slide out Coachmen Concord. Big, comfortable and very roomy, want for nothing American RV's. :dance2: Loved them.

Now we want to come down a size or two, and maybe go for a panel van conversion this time. Grandkids don't come along anymore, and we wish to do more 'local' touring, so it seems like the time is right to go smaller. Just us two now.:hugs:

Can anyone give me any pros and cons, best types, any ones to avoid, etc? An automatic is a must, as I am missing the limb that shoves the clutch pedal down.

Many thanks,

Craig

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Riverbankannie and I love a U shaped lounge (IH 630RD , Consort Oslo Vantage Neo) tend to be British as you have a lovely cosy lounge for chilly winter evenings. Downside is you have to makeup the beds. Annie keeps hers as singles. We still make up a huge double. Takes less tha 5 mins. The U -shaped lounge gives you a big boot. One bed has storage under it two. Decent kitchen , proper oven. Shower OK. Both front seats swivel to make a mini seated area.

A few others do 2 single bed versions , not so cosy and less boot eg auto sleeper Kingham.

Front lounge version eg Muvi. Never appealed. Better bathrooms I think though DBK loves his and very well made.

Foreign converters usually have fixed bed versions and a front dinette. These often have enormous garages. Kitchen is tiny but in the Adria there is a range of lengths . Same with lots of the European converters.
A few do the twin single beds but not many. Much less popular in their vehicles.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I'd recommend hiring before you buy. The PVC that ticked the boxes on paper felt too enclosed when we actually went away in it.

All motorhomes force compromises, but PVCs even more than larger models.

We eventually settled on a wildax rear lounge model. But the autosleepers warwick XL was good too.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We have recently downsized from a Carthago Compactline A Class to a 6.4m Malibu van. I had been a bit concerned about downsizing, less storage space and smaller living area but after the first few outings have no regrets whatsoever. Yesterday my wife said she likes the van more than the previous motorhome, so do I.

Firstly most of the Malibu Van fit out is of the same quality as the Carthago. There are some small things that are less solid such as the blinds but the important bits like the cabinetry are both similarly screwed and mortised to make proper joints. Very importantly for us it has fixed beds which are very comfortable with ventilated and slatted springing together with a good quality mattress. Going back to bed making with seat parts was never an option for us.

Driving it is a joy. Its length and width are not much less than the Compactline but it feels smaller behind the wheel. The lower height and grey colour make me far more comfortable using roadside parking spaces, it just does not look such a conspicuous big white blot.

Some of the better driving experience is down to the Series 9 Ducato. Excellent new 2.2l engine mated to the much lauded 9 speed auto. Improved dash display with readable speedo and a far better cruise control.

I recommend taking a look at Malibu Vans.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
On a similar thread... Globecar. We too downsized from a coachbuilt , okay not the largest I will admit but had loads of garage space and internal storage, to a Globecar Summit Prime 640 and as Pausim says the difference in driving, parking and just general feel on the road is amazing. 9 speed auto with 190 bhp engine helps massively too. Really like the build quality. No rattles, squeaks except our stuff at all. We can get just as much in this as the coachbuilt van before. So much room in fact that we have 3 overhead lockers empty on a weeks trip including 2 dogs and all their stuff as well and we do not travel light clothing wise, footwear etc Wouldnt change back to anything bigger. Shower and toilet tight but useable and we are not petite people. Have driven round extremely tight Devon lanes where I simply would not have taken our coachbuilt before. Take the plunge but definitely go automatic and IMHO biggest engine you can get, well within reason

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
We have recently downsized from a Carthago Compactline A Class to a 6.4m Malibu van. I had been a bit concerned about downsizing, less storage space and smaller living area but after the first few outings have no regrets whatsoever. Yesterday my wife said she likes the van more than the previous motorhome, so do I.

Firstly most of the Malibu Van fit out is of the same quality as the Carthago. There are some small things that are less solid such as the blinds but the important bits like the cabinetry are both similarly screwed and mortised to make proper joints. Very importantly for us it has fixed beds which are very comfortable with ventilated and slatted springing together with a good quality mattress. Going back to bed making with seat parts was never an option for us.

Driving it is a joy. Its length and width are not much less than the Compactline but it feels smaller behind the wheel. The lower height and grey colour make me far more comfortable using roadside parking spaces, it just does not look such a conspicuous big white blot.

Some of the better driving experience is down to the Series 9 Ducato. Excellent new 2.2l engine mated to the much lauded 9 speed auto. Improved dash display with readable speedo and a far better cruise control.

I recommend taking a look at Malibu Vans.
We were looking at/ thinking about a Malibu 640 LEK Diversity but only place we could get one on maxi chassis and 180bhp engine with auto for the beginning of the year was Dickson of Perth... probably too far for possible required return trips and they were quite offish with us we felt regarding price/ part exchange/ accessories. Hey maybe that was just us....so we carried on looking and found Globecar and their Summit Prime to be a very similar van and for our spec. £4k cheaper! No oven but we still eat and cook inside in crappy weather so not going to starve. Just have to adapt which we have done so. I must say the compressor fridge is great and actually cools things down. We have a single 150w solar panel and 2 leisure batteries and cope easily 3 nights without plugging in or driving even in the current wet/ grey summer. Just the cassette emptying causes a move sometimes.... glad we went gof a pvc this changeover

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We're also contemplating downsizing from 7.5m coachbuilt....been researching for a while, top 2 on the list at the moment are Malibu 640 RB & globecar summit prime 640.
Both appear/feel more open/spacious than many other models/designs.....
Malibu Van and Globecar were the only makes that made it onto our shortlist. We considered the Malibu RB version but found that it raised the kitchen sink height to a less comfortable level, this is because of the positioning of the fridge below the hob. We are both shorties and taller persons might not find it a problem. The LE K suits us better, we like the big drawers.

Some people question the swinging toilet but it seems to work well and is solidly mounted. It leaves a comfortable shower space, even for my Tellytubby proportions.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I went from a 5.4m PVC to a 6m a-class. I do really miss the "park it like a car" usability. I'll probably go back to a PVC at some point. But do not under estimate the internal space difference. My current van feels three times bigger inside. I'm quite happy to spend the day in it if I'm remote working or just because I'm having a lazy day and the weather is crap. My old van was nowhere near as comfortable and gave me cabin fever pretty quickly.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have Globecar Campscout. 2 longitudinal beds as we didn’t want to climb over each other to get to loo in middle of night. After years of caravanning fixed beds were a must. Storage is excellent - huge boot under the bed. I love the high level fridge. Shower is ok though I’d prefer a no curtain option.
Dinette isn’t great - the dinette seats are not comfy and it’s really a 2 +2 rather than a 4 seater. I see Voyager ova use 2 individual seats in their dinettes - I’d love to see one in the flesh!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hymer do a nice range on Fiat and Mercedes based vehicles

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
We had a Hymer Compact C408 previously. It had the advantages of a coachbuilt’s insulation but in the dimensions of a PVC. We didn’t get on well with the manual drop down bed upon which nothing other than a sheet could remain when in its raised position.
I’d highly recommend longitudinal beds to avoid climb overs in the middle of the night.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We had a Hymer Compact C408 previously. It had the advantages of a coachbuilt’s insulation but in the dimensions of a PVC. We didn’t get on well with the manual drop down bed upon which nothing other than a sheet could remain when in its raised position.
I’d highly recommend longitudinal beds to avoid climb overs in the middle of the night.
indeed but thats not the current Hymer range and the latest models have borrowed what looks like some materials from the N&B range the new PVC's are quite luxurious

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
indeed but thats not the current Hymer range and the latest models have borrowed what looks like some materials from the N&B range the new PVC's are quite luxurious
I wasn’t suggesting for a moment that it was, nor that they’re all the same. The C408 was quite a rare thing, I think for good reason!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wasn’t suggesting for a moment that it was, nor that they’re all the same. The C408 was quite a rare thing, I think for good reason!
sometimes manufactures seem to do this looking at N&B the Smove only seemed to be in production for a limited time. But on the other hand its great the manufacturers are bold enough to try different layouts

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
sometimes manufactures seem to do this looking at N&B the Smove only seemed to be in production for a limited time. But on the other hand its great the manufacturers are bold enough to try different layouts
Our Hymer and its bigger brother (C478 - there’s one on Autotrader) were rebadged Burnsters. They did a similar slightly lesser speced version.
As you say - keeps life interesting.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’ve got an Adria Twin 640 Supreme SGX

Fixed raising longitudinal bed at the rear with masses of storage underneath it.
Clever shower / toilet moving wall which means the toilet doesn’t get wet.
Plenty of storage space above bed - 3 lockers each.
Large fridge, wardrobe, and plenty more storage in front.
Diesel heating - a boon somewhere like Morocco where souring gas is harder - we just use gas for hot water and cooking, if inside.
Supreme editions have a massive skylight at the front - feels light & roomy on winter days.
PVC generally - we go anywhere, park almost anywhere. I’d hate to have to plan my route and stops in detail with a longer, wider van.

Dislikes:
Euro dinettes are never super comfy or roomy. Especially noticeable in bad weather when we don’t set up outside. I then spend most of my time reading on the bed.
There were a fair few niggles with water leaks to start with, but I’d just get the connectors replaced on purchase, it wouldn't put me off the van.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Moved from c/vans,to PVC's.Three had rear lounges and we liked them,then went into another PVC on site " a Wildax Constellation 3 " We allready owned the rear lounge " Wildax Europa " end lounge and liked the build quality.
You open the door in the Conny 3 and the world comes to you inside. Three sitting across the drivers side settee,one on the turn around passenger seat and one on the single seat,so 5 people can take in the view. It makes a 6'4 x 6'4 " ish size double bed. ( easy to get set up ) and has a Fiat NEW AUTOMATIC gear box if needed ( We have the " Comformatic auto box..." ( So far so good) ).
Try before you buy..... Have a look at the Constellation 3,had it 7 years now and are still very happy with it.
LOTS of PVC converters do this layout,so check them all out. We had a Timberland Endeavour end lounge ( They do/did ) mid lounges and an Autosleeper end lounge then the Wildax Europa. All good build quality, now chase the horizons in the " Conny 3 " mid lounge ? Love it.
Tea Bag

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For us we had to have 2 x 2m bed lengths and no climbing over each other. The IH the only one we saw with at option. The Malibu with one short bed would not work for us.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi.
Moved from c/vans,to PVC's.Three had rear lounges and we liked them,then went into another PVC on site " a Wildax Constellation 3 " We allready owned the rear lounge " Wildax Europa " end lounge and liked the build quality.
You open the door in the Conny 3 and the world comes to you inside. Three sitting across the drivers side settee,one on the turn around passenger seat and one on the single seat,so 5 people can take in the view. It makes a 6'4 x 6'4 " ish size double bed. ( easy to get set up ) and has a Fiat NEW AUTOMATIC gear box if needed ( We have the " Comformatic auto box..." ( So far so good) ).
Try before you buy..... Have a look at the Constellation 3,had it 7 years now and are still very happy with it.
LOTS of PVC converters do this layout,so check them all out. We had a Timberland Endeavour end lounge ( They do/did ) mid lounges and an Autosleeper end lounge then the Wildax Europa. All good build quality, now chase the horizons in the " Conny 3 " mid lounge ? Love it.
Tea Bag
My first PVC had a rear lounge. I wasn't particularly comfortable as a lounge or a bed, seriously limited the amount of storage and was a faff to switch modes. So I removed much of the seat bases and built a permanent bed platform. The van was a "professional" post conversion, so I didn't harm it's value by mucking around with it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Our Hymer and its bigger brother (C478 - there’s one on Autotrader) were rebadged Burnsters. They did a similar slightly lesser speced version.
As you say - keeps life interesting.
Hymer brands are far reaching and address different market needs.

Buccaneer, Burstner, Carado, Crosscamp, Dethleffs, Elddis, Eriba, Eltrusco, Laikia, LMC, Niesmann + Bischoff, Sunlight, Explore.

They also have Services, Rental and Accessory Brands as part of the wider group

All of which were acquired by Thor Industries so it's quite an incestuous business, I think they do quite a good job in keeping brand image on each of the vehicles despite many components being similar.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hymer brands are far reaching and address different market needs.

Buccaneer, Burstner, Carado, Crosscamp, Dethleffs, Elddis, Eriba, Eltrusco, Laikia, LMC, Niesmann + Bischoff, Sunlight, Explore.

They also have Services, Rental and Accessory Brands as part of the wider group

All of which were acquired by Thor Industries so it's quite an incestuous business, I think they do quite a good job in keeping brand image on each of the vehicles despite many components being similar.
My current van is "Geist by LMC". Thor hold a lot of brands!

And they do a better job of separating their brand markets than Trigano seems to manage.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We downsized and found it hard to come to terms with the less space but now love it. A big decision was to get a pvc so we could more easily get to places, and it has been a great decision now. We looked at lots and decided by layout that the only one we wanted was an Adria 640 SLB Supreme with 9 speed automatic. We don’t like dinettes really in any van but no options really & I didn’t want any electric beds so this model was the one for us with twin longitude beds over a large completely separate garage space. A bonus we discovered with use was how easy it was to access the garage space internally during poor weather, especially if your nimble enough 😜 and there is plenty of cupboards all around the van.

I have a review HERE

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
For us we had to have 2 x 2m bed lengths and no climbing over each other. The IH the only one we saw with at option. The Malibu with one short bed would not work for us.
Consort Oslo do an option of one of the beds being 6ft 6 but you lose a bit of kitchen. Needless to say Nick and I haven’t gone for that option Annie!

I know you leave yours as singles but we like to make up the double. We were finding that an increasing palaver in the IH with the big knee roll on the cushions, having to lift them and turn them every night, both of us have had shoulder trouble. The Consort bases slide out easily and the cushions are flat.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Craig,

We did exactly the same as you, over the years coming down fron quite large A Class, small A Class etc, and now we have a PVC. I have to say it is a lot easier to drive, although you do have to get used to the more compact space, and reducing what you carry.

The first thing you need to decide is the layout you want, and then look at available options - new or used. You will get lots of opinions, and all that I can tell you is that we have been delighted with our Autosleeper Warwick XL, automatic. It's now 7 months old with 8500 miles on the click, and been to Italy, Switzerland, France, Sweden, Norway, and through all the countries to get there.

Decide your layout first; whether you want a fixed bed or a lounge that converts.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We found visiting the NEC show was very beneficial. We had decided on a rear lounge prior to going. But when we looked at a couple we realised how little storage space you get under the rear seats so we went for a fixed rear bed. Loads of storage under the bed and actually the front living area is very comfortable and better than the low backed rear lounge seats which reminded us of our previous caravans.

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
We found visiting the NEC show was very beneficial. We had decided on a rear lounge prior to going. But when we looked at a couple we realised how little storage space you get under the rear seats so we went for a fixed rear bed. Loads of storage under the bed and actually the front living area is very comfortable and better than the low backed rear lounge seats which reminded us of our previous caravans.
This is where a u-shaped lounge helps, gives you a "boot" with some storage.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
we really like our Summit Prime 640. Agree with what other Globecar owners have said. We swapped from a 6.4m Autosleeper. But the Summit Prime is much more manoeuvrable, has more space and we certainly do not miss the oven and microwave. We upgraded to one 230ah lithium battery. We use the shower and loo. Our short list of facilities included two longitudinal beds which we have, as we both get up several times during the night. If that wasnt essential I would consider a 6m with transverse bed - just a bit easier to park. But we have no regrets with this van. I think the most annoying thing is the washbasin tap which is right over the basin and not swivel. Just gets in the way a bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back