Puppy passport (1 Viewer)

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Would it be possible to take our dog to northern Ireland,buy a puppy there and then travel to Eire to get pet passports for both there? my sister lives in Eire so I could probably use her address if required.
the breed of dog my wife wants is available in Northern Ireland for half the price here so the trip would in effect be free and I’d get to see my sister who I haven’t seen for a few years 🙂

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I have read previously people have gone to the North and crossed into the South by road as there is no hard border and got passports at Irish vets. If you do a search and read through them there was one vet whose details were on the thread who was happy to issue. However the Govt web site states

Rabies vaccinations and boosters​

You must get your dog, cat or ferret vaccinated against rabies before it can travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. Your vet needs proof that your pet is at least 12 weeks old before vaccinating them.
The vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine or recombinant vaccine that’s approved in the country of use.
You must get your pet microchipped before, or at the same time as, their rabies vaccination. If you do not, they’ll need to be vaccinated again.

When you can travel​

You must wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination.
You do not need to wait to travel after a booster vaccination if there has been no break in the vaccine cover.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
We are in the 21day period now ,would plan to travel when over 21days👍 new puppy I presume if not microchipped we could have it done in Eire?

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I'm no expert as our dog was done in France. Obviously with older dog your doing the 21 days so fine, the pup would need to be 12 weeks old and could be microchipped in Eire at same time as rabies jab and then 21 days would start for the pup.
In mainland Europe the vet has to give the rabies jab recommended by their country to issue a passport normally 3 years cover except certain parts of Spain close to Morocco they only last 12 months due to rabies in Morocco.
Your older dog may have to have another rabies jab to get their passport as in Europe British rabies jabs are not recognised if applying for a European passport😤 even though the AHC has all the details of last jab on (date /batch number/name).
It maybe worth checking if its alright to give two rabies jabs so close together on the older dog as its a lot for their system to deal with. I would ring an Irish vet close to the border and get their advice to be on safe side. Good Luck 👍

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The general answer from a practical point of view is yes, subject of course to the 21 day rules. But you're really circumventing the EU rules because there is (currently) no hard border between N.I. and the Republic.
We got our Westie his Irish Pet Passport by crossing to N.I. (no restrictions) then travelling on to Eire a few days later. The vet wouldn't accept the rabies jab in the old UK PP so redid it, not a problem. We used a friends Irish address although the vet wasn't too concerned about that.
As far as we're concerned it's a load of bureaucratic twaddle, certainly not intended in the Brexit negotiations, and I'm sure HM Gov will eventually get round to sorting it out.

But a general point here; when choosing a puppy, just going by the breed is, IMO, unwise. You need to know a lot more about the individual dog, breeder etc. However as you appear to already have the dog I assume you've taken all this into account.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
The 21 day rule I believe is regarding the rabies vaccine ,would that be required to bring a puppy from Northern Ireland to the rest of the UK?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There is (currently) no restriction or checks on domestic pets travelling to mainland UK from N.I.

But don't know if there's been any changes in the latest N.I./EU agreement.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
There is (currently) no restriction or checks on domestic pets travelling to mainland UK from N.I.

But don't know if there's been any changes in the latest N.I./EU agreement.
Is that the same for Eire to Northern Ireland?
as I would plan to go Eire-northern Ireland-Liverpool-Wales hopefully with a puppy and dog with EU pet passports avoiding AHC costs

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
There will be no checks crossing the border in either direction.
If you enter/leave NI from/to the UK there are currently no checks on domestic animals.
With a new pup I would go home via the shortest crossing as the pup will have to remain in the vehicle (or onboard kennels) during the crossing.
If it was my choice I would travel Belfast to Cairnryan.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
If I’m reading it correctly NI vets can still issue EU pet passports ?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If I’m reading it correctly NI vets can still issue EU pet passports ?
Correct.
We have one for our dog which is still valid.
However, I haven't heard of a NI pet passport being issued to someone who doesn't live in NI.
I am not saying it cant be done, I just don't know if it is possible.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Correct.
We have one for our dog which is still valid.
However, I haven't heard of a NI pet passport being issued to someone who doesn't live in NI.
I am not saying it cant be done, I just don't know if it is possible.
Fair enough , I was thinking of travelling south to my sister and trying to sort it there👍

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Link

these did something similar to what you intend but they had ahc for them crossing, might be worth calling the vet!

john

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back